Thread: New band first gig

User Info Menu

Default New band first gig

Hey Im in high school and just started a band with some friends. Were all friends but our bassist thinks hes great at everything and runs our myspace where he makes it look like hes Jesus and me and the guitarist are his sidekicks. He also chose the name of our band even though its the worst band name on because it makes me think of a skid mark on some dudes underpants btw the name is Low Streak. So were playing our first gig on Feb 28th we only have 1 song made but our bassist decided to put us on the list because hes stupid and now we have to have 3 songs made by the 28th. So as you can see were having trouble from the start basically because one of us is being dominant.

User Info Menu

Default Re: New band first gig

Quote Originally Posted by Beetbox View Post
    Hey Im in high school and just started a band with some friends. Were all friends but our bassist thinks hes great at everything and runs our myspace where he makes it look like hes Jesus and me and the guitarist are his sidekicks. He also chose the name of our band even though its the worst band name on because it makes me think of a skid mark on some dudes underpants btw the name is Low Streak. So were playing our first gig on Feb 28th we only have 1 song made but our bassist decided to put us on the list because hes stupid and now we have to have 3 songs made by the 28th. So as you can see were having trouble from the start basically because one of us is being dominant.
    Congrats on the band formation. One member taking the bull by the horns can be a good thing or it can kill a band. I think you and the other members need to approach your bass player and calmly express your concerns..kind of an intervention of sorts. Explain that you appreciate his enthusiasm and go getter attitude, but you are concerned with his pushing the project too fast.
    Explain that is will pay off better in the long run if you take your time, learn and write some new songs..work on a stage presentation and start booking gigs when you are all better prepared. -Les

User Info Menu

If you can't write 3 songs by the 28th. I'd recommend learning to cover some songs. But yeah, you do need to talk to your bassist.
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

I agree with these guys. And it may be easier to throw down some cover tunes so you guys are ready by the 28th
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

All and all have fun, and good luck to you.

User Info Menu

Covers and then ***** slap your bassist.

User Info Menu

hahahaha, How many strings are on his bass?
    If he has more than 4 you guy's are in real trouble.
    Just detune his bass everytime his back is turned and NEVER admit to it.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

We cancled the gig and were going to write more songs so no more rush =)

User Info Menu

Congrats on booking your first show, even though it might have been a little early

The way my band did it was to set a goal (i.e.:a date we wanted to have a good set list down). As we approached the deadline, things became a little rushed and aggravating but in the end we all managed to enjoy what we put together.

The solution with the bassist isn't going to be easy. I can certainly tell you that from experience. In that situation I would talk to him about it more casually and see if there is a way to compromise with him. If that doesn't work, call everyone to meet up and sit down and talk about it. He should get the picture the first time around if you let him know, but if all else fails really sit down with him, dig in, and let him know that is not the way to get up and going/

Our guitarist is very, very dedicated to our band, and at time's he's incredibly overbearing. And the best way our Bassist and I have managed most situations is really to compromise with him. Plus, we try to take some leadership as well (booking shows, getting stuff ready for gigs, promo's, etc).

I find it when you get a group of really creative minds together its immensely difficult to try to get things done if everyone doesn't have a say in what's going on.
    Last edited by Gibby; 02-24-2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: silly mistakes
    --Cody