Thread: 13" Yamaha Oak Custom Snare problems

User Info Menu

Default 13" Yamaha Oak Custom Snare problems

hello, good people -

i'm stoked that i found this forum - this is my first post.

a couple years ago, i picked up a 4-pc yamaha oak custom that i love to pieces. my only gripe is with the snare drum (rather, keeping the snare tuned):

the first time i swapped out the batter head, i noticed the lugs had lock-tite in the threads. this bummed me out a little bit since i'd had issues with some DW hardware that also used lock-tite on the lugs.

i play in a noise-punk band, so the snare takes a pretty good beating. now, after two or three songs, i notice that the lug in the 7:00 position (doesn't matter how the snare is positioned in the stand, it's always the same lug position) is almost completely out of the housing. i can usually tighten it a couple rotations with my fingers before it's time to break out the key... it doesn't seem to matter how tight the lug is at first; it will eventually separate itself from the housing almost completely after 10 - 15 minutes of playing.

i'm really happy with the snare otherwise - it's super loud and i can get a variety of tones out of it. but if i can't find a way to keep it consistently in tune, it's going to get replaced.

has anyone else had this experience? do you think it's the 13" size that's causing the issue? should i just quit whining and learn to live with it? any advice is welcomed.

thanks
    aaron

User Info Menu

Default Re: 13" Yamaha Oak Custom Snare problems

I think its time to change the treads that the tension rods go into.Yamaha should use standard threads and you can buy something generic @ your local Drum or Music store.You'll need to remove the heads to get @ the screws holding the lugs to the shell.Remove the screws and the lug will come off.There is usually a plastic insert that holds the tread in place.Remove the the plastic insert and the tread will come right out.Since these treads are sold in a package and not individually you might as well change all of them.if the problem continues,You might want to change the tension rods as well.Last resort,try using plumbing teflon tape on the tension rods.This will make the tension rods a little thicker and should help.Good Luck !!!

User Info Menu

welcome to the forum greenie

lube and those plastic tuning memory lock thingys that fit on the top of the rim.....yeah someone bail me out here pls, i dont know the name

that would do the trick

User Info Menu

Wow ... I have the same problem with my 14" Export snare.

The 7:00 o'clock lug on my snare also keeps untightening itself!
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    welcome to the forum greenie

lube and those plastic tuning memory lock thingys that fit on the top of the rim.....yeah someone bail me out here pls, i dont know the name

that would do the trick
    itchie is talking about lug locks, and he has the right idea- they fit over the tension lug and prevent them from turning so your drums stay in tune. sometimes they can be picked up at your local music shop or always available in all colors on the internet. this would be your best bet.

if you replace all of your lug housings, it should work also, but the lug locks are going to be alot cheaper.
    Last edited by DamageDrummer; 04-08-2009 at 02:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Replace the tension bolt. If that doesn't work replace the bolt housing for that particular lug. No biggie. It will only cost a couple of dollars.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

if it keeps happening in that position with the snare turned (7 0'clock diff lug), you're probally hitting the rim in that spot along with the head.