Thread: Snare wires resonnating while playing bass drum

User Info Menu

Default Snare wires resonnating while playing bass drum

I bought a Yamaha gigmaster kit couple days ago.
    The first day i played on it ( after i tuned it of course), the snare wires DID NOT resonate while i hit the bass pedal alone.
    I personally like a dry sound so i like to tighten my snare wires.
    But yesterday i re-tuned my snare drum heads( top head on the A note and bottom head on the D note above it).
    I love how they sound now, but now i can hear the wires resonate while i hit the bass pedal alone, even though i tightened the wires up to the max...

Is this happening because i tuned the heads?

I know this is completely normal but i was wondering why it wasn't happening the day before(??)..

Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare wires resonnating while playing bass drum

Welcome to Drum Chat Tdwctdwc!

The easy answer is that the resonant head is probably tuned in resonance to the bass drum batter head now. Whenever I retune the kit I pay close attention to the snare buzzing as I check the sound on each drum. You really don't have to change the tuning too much to remove the resonance (or the worst of it), but if you like the tuning, their are other ways to deal with it. We've had several threads about this, so I'll post a link incase it's helpful to you. Otherwise, you can be sure our helpful members will come by to help you.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...snare+rattling
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

ThePloughman Guest

Get off the wires so hard. Number one, you are choking the sound of your snare, and two, quite possibly........ damaging your shell. And three, you are ruining your wires. Cranking them up till you need a prybar to engage the snare, is not a good idea. The buzzz is being caused exactly as described by PB.

User Info Menu

I'm with Ploughman on this. The reso does not need to be tuned so high.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I tried everything...
    Now the wires are buzzing when i also hit the mid and hi toms...
    DAM!!!
    One thing i did not mention is that my snare heads are manufacturer built in and my wires don't lay on the head straight.
    They are bent upwards from both lower right and upper left corner...
    Could those be the problem???

User Info Menu

When your snare head is too loose, it will cause unwanted buzz(sympathetic buzz) and snare ring to increase. Make sure your snare head is not too loose and is evenly tuned. Same with the bottom head. Start with that. You will always get unwanted buzz from your snare when you hit your toms, especially if the toms closest to your snare are high(small) toms, unless you switch to strait cable snares, which will reduce sympathetic buzz by about 70%.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend D. View Post
    When your snare head is too loose, it will cause unwanted buzz(sympathetic buzz) and snare ring to increase. Make sure your snare head is not too loose and is evenly tuned. Same with the bottom head. Start with that. You will always get unwanted buzz from your snare when you hit your toms, especially if the toms closest to your snare are high(small) toms, unless you switch to strait cable snares, which will reduce sympathetic buzz by about 70%.
    Problem solved actually
    I had to reduce(cut) my snare wires to 16 (until i get a new set on wednesday), detuned my bass drum resonant head and finally, loosen the 4 rods that are adjacent to the wires "almost" completely, and tune all my rack toms higher...

User Info Menu

De-tuning the 4 bolts around the wires is a "quick fix" that doesn't really fix anything. The reason the buzz goes away is because the loose head decreases the sensitivity of the snares(the purpose of the snare wires in the first place) leaving you with a dry and unresponsive sound good only for "bashing".
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

I just put a tiny bit of TP on either side of the snares, and that seems to have done the trick without losing the snap from the snare.

User Info Menu

i'm glad you fixed it my was about the same but except for the bass making it buzz my left rack tom would, and what fixed it to tell you the truth was evan e-rings (which i bought today lol) which stopped the buzz and made my snare and toms sound alot better

User Info Menu

Update:

I just got a new set of 20 strand snares, Remo Amabassador coated 14' snare head, put them on..
    the sound is amazing but now i get a delayed short buzz after i hit the toms, which I ACTUALLY REALLY LIKE!
    With the bass drum, it's still there, but very low profile...
    After second thoughts, i DON'T WANNA GET RID OF THE BUZZ!
    I freaking love those delayed tom buzzes!

The worst case scenario, i'll get mufflers if i change my mind)

Oh, the paint coating on one of my toms cracked open when i was tuning it. I tried to tune it too high.
    The shell is fine and the sound is fine...
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 03-31-2009 at 04:15 PM.

User Info Menu

It's happening because the snare is tuned differently.

I hate snare buzz so here's what I do to fix it:
    Get two squares of toilet paper and fold them up into 2:1 ratio dimensioned rectangles. Slide them under either end of your wires and if you mess around with head tension, sizes of the squares, and wire tension, you should be able to get the sound you want without buzz.

Some might say to simply tune it really carefully, but I've found it can be nearly impossible to get the snare sound you want without any buzz from your toms and kick so I just use this method to make things easier.
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

I had this happening to me too when I hit one of my toms, but now I've solved it...

First, if you don't have one, get a nice padded carpet that sort of absorbs sound/shock. That seemed to help for me (and it helped the drumset from sliding)

It also helped for some reason when I tightened the tom causing the buzz

I also tried putting tissue paper under the snare wires but I didn't like that cause it changed the sound of the snare a bit