Thread: Vintage kit?

User Info Menu

Default Vintage kit?

Does anyone know about vintage ludwig kits.

I have and 11 piece kit 2 bass drums and 9 toms but only the kick drums and the floor have lugs for bottom heads.

Can anyone give me any info on this? Year? is this a rare kit? I want to fix it up some but want to be sure that it is worth my money.

Edit: only 9 toms not 11
    Last edited by el presidente; 12-21-2006 at 04:51 PM.

User Info Menu

el presidente,

Do you have any pics? Sounds to me like you have a kit with "concert toms" Ludwig used to make those back in the early to mid 70's... back when carmine appice was in his prime (lol) You may also have an "octaplus kit" ... again Ludwig made those back in the 70's .. I have been playing Ludwigs since day one (16+ years) Loves em! Anyway both kits sound awesome when properly tuned and they are highly collectible with Ludwig nuts like me! post some pics.. I might be able to give more info.

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals

User Info Menu

I'll get some pics tonight. It won't be the whole kit though. I'm only playing it as a 5 piece right now and I love the sheer size of it, but I'm not too happy with the sound.

User Info Menu

If you do have "concert toms" you have to remember the tuning is going to be different than with a traditional tom since the lack of a resonant(bottom) head. Your batter head is doing both jobs.. also what type of heads are you using? I'll check back when u have pics.. Good Luck!!

User Info Menu

I didn't bring the camera with me last night so these will have to do. Sorry I'm such a sweaty pig btw.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lhwbdr...e2.jpg&.src=ph

this is the badge that is on my drums

Also, I am currently playing it as a 5 piece the other pieces are in storage.

User Info Menu

tell me that is not an octaplus....

User Info Menu

I'm not sure. Hence the first post. How would I know?

User Info Menu

actually reading up on it, it does sound like I have an octoplus.

Are these rare? worth anything?

User Info Menu

yes, rare and collectable. i just saw a jellybean vistalite octaplus on ebay going for 4k. i would love to be able to buy it.

User Info Menu

El Pres..
    from your pics it seems your kit is all maple. Is that the original finish? (hard to tell with the pics, kinda dark). Usually those kits were finished with a cortex wrap. However, some people stripped them down and finished them au natural. You may have a butcher block finish, again hard to tell. I'm going with my first thought and say it is an octaplus kit.. rare ...not really ...collectible ...yes. BTW Vistalite octaplus kits are far more rare and cost much more. I would say as is you could fetch 1500 to 2000 dollars maybe more. Great set though.. a keeper!!!
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

Excellent! Yeah that is definitly the origional finish.

Here's the kicker: I bought it used at a music go round for less than $500. There are a few things wrong with it. But most is repairable. I'm getting a new kit in the next couple of months and now have decided to keep this one and refurbish it at a later date.