Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porcupine Tree Anybody?

User Info Menu

Default Porcupine Tree Anybody?

I am a HUGE fan of Porcupine Tree and Gavin Harrison, there music is innovative, and Gavin's drumming is amazing to say the least. I tried my best to play along to Gavin's original drums, but I did not hit note for note, but I am proud of what I have accomplished, again Gavin is an amazing drummer, so to be able to even come close to his skill is enough for me. I hope you all enjoy it as well.

Note: I will not be posting any more video's on Youtube and will be closing that account sometime in the near future. I tried to post this video(as well as several others) on Youtube and within seconds of it being posted WMG(Warner Music Group)removed the audio(they have done this on 6 of my videos). I am sick of WMG, my feeling is that I am doing nothing wrong, I am not causing them to loose sales, I am not collecting any money, the only thing I am doing is paying tribute to my favorite bands, and they just keep taking them down. It is so frustrating, I work very hard to make these video's and to share them with everyone, and WMG just takes them down. Anyway enough rambling.

FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

Default Re: Porcupine Tree Anybody?

Hey Kevin...I always enjoy watching your vids. You've got this one in "The bag."
    Question though, are you playing a RH Flam on the snare? It's kind of hard to see
    but it sounds like you use the Flam for an even more pronounced attack on the 2nd beat. Good technique.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Great job, DW. I really like that song, too.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Hey Kevin...I always enjoy watching your vids. You've got this one in "The bag."
    Question though, are you playing a RH Flam on the snare? It's kind of hard to see
    but it sounds like you use the Flam for an even more pronounced attack on the 2nd beat. Good technique.
    Thanks man. lol man I am not sure what the heck I am doing, but after reviewing it again, I think I am.

Larrysperf Guest

Yes Very nice Kev and you always pick songs I like lol
    but still waiting on the snakes and arrows lol Vey very nice Nuff Said

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Yes Very nice Kev and you always pick songs I like lol
    but still waiting on the snakes and arrows lol Vey very nice Nuff Said
    Thanks man. Alright I will do Far Cry lol.

I guess I have put it off long enough lol, I am just intimidated, I mean I am covering Neil Peart he is a drum god, but I will do it, will be a good step forward for me, give me a little time to get it down and I will post it, consider it done.

User Info Menu

I love Porcupine Tree! It's because of you Kev, you're the one that got me into them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DWdrumr View Post
    I am a HUGE fan of Porcupine Tree and Gavin Harrison, there music is innovative, and Gavin's drumming is amazing to say the least. I tried my best to play along to Gavin's original drums, but I did not hit note for note, but I am proud of what I have accomplished, again Gavin is an amazing drummer, so to be able to even come close to his skill is enough for me. I hope you all enjoy it as well.

Note: I will not be posting any more video's on Youtube and will be closing that account sometime in the near future. I tried to post this video(as well as several others) on Youtube and within seconds of it being posted WMG(Warner Music Group)removed the audio(they have done this on 6 of my videos). I am sick of WMG, my feeling is that I am doing nothing wrong, I am not causing them to loose sales, I am not collecting any money, the only thing I am doing is paying tribute to my favorite bands, and they just keep taking them down. It is so frustrating, I work very hard to make these video's and to share them with everyone, and WMG just takes them down. Anyway enough rambling.

They did the same to me, the vid I did of our 7 month old I put to music and next thing I see is a vid without the hear, no music.

You know what WMG is doing, is they are not helping their casue, in fact more and more folks are ripping music since the first court cases. CD sales are down not up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    I love Porcupine Tree! It's because of you Kev, you're the one that got me into them!
    Always happy to pass along good music to good friends, thanks Sue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmania View Post
    They did the same to me, the vid I did of our 7 month old I put to music and next thing I see is a vid without the hear, no music.

You know what WMG is doing, is they are not helping their casue, in fact more and more folks are ripping music since the first court cases. CD sales are down not up.
    There huge, so they care nothing about there bands, music or anything. They just care about money, and they are rapidly loosing popularity, just look on youtube, type in WMG and read about ALL the people that are upset with them, it ridiculous to say the least, we are not hurting them 1 single bit by making our drum covers or guitar covers or bass covers, we are just spreading the word about a band we like and paying tribute to them.

WMG SUCKS

User Info Menu

Professional, clean set up and tight as always,Kev
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

I cant say Im a Porcupine fan but I do like your chops , also dig the sound of your set and cymbal tone .

Start posting on Clipser or Photo Bucket if youre not happy with You Tube .Best of luck .

User Info Menu

As always, Kevin, solid job.

I have to say I love the sounds of your drums. I don't know if it's just because they are mic'd. I'm curious if you can give me head and tuning detail? They are deeper than my birch Tama's, but I would love to try to get that sound.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    I cant say Im a Porcupine fan but I do like your chops , also dig the sound of your set and cymbal tone .

Start posting on Clipser or Photo Bucket if youre not happy with You Tube .Best of luck .
    Thank you. Yea I opened a Photobucket acct, but it is not the same by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    As always, Kevin, solid job.

I have to say I love the sounds of your drums. I don't know if it's just because they are mic'd. I'm curious if you can give me head and tuning detail? They are deeper than my birch Tama's, but I would love to try to get that sound.
    Thank you. Yes they are mic'd, but there is no effects or anything done on them, mainly because I have no idea how lol, so what you hear is coming straight from the mixer.

Tuning:

TOMS: well I use Remo Emps on the batter, tuned medium tight on the 10" and just a bit looser on the 14", and on the reso I tune them one step higher than the batter, reso heads are just the stock heads.

Snare: has a coated ambassador tuned medium tight, I am using the stock head on the reso as well, I tune the bottom head much tighter than the batter head.

Kick: I use the Evans EMAD batter head, tuned just past wrinkles, stock head on the reso head, tuned to about medium, just gives a HUGE deep attack and punch, sounds so sick. Hopefully this helps a bit, if you have any additional questions, let me know.

User Info Menu

Kevin,

TOMS: I have G2's on my toms which I believe are similar to Emperors in that they are dual ply. Maybe I'm tuning them higher than I should. Of course they are different drums which might make a difference. I do have the reso's tuned the same, so maybe tuning them a step higher might be the trick. I just find that your toms have a great sound, and one I'd like to get for mine. They are fatter sounding than mine and tighter sounding as well, if that's the right description and seem to have. I particularly notice it on the fills.

Snare: By "new" used Artwood has the Evans Power Center, but an Ambassador is the plan. I cranked down the top, but haven't really "tuned" it because I'm changing them soon anyway. I'll try out tuning the reso up and see how that turns out.

Kick: Here I'm pretty happy. I've got the EMAD2 which is great. The reso is an older one with the big hole in the center (used to play mic'd at clubs all the time) so when I get the new snare heads, a new BD reso is in the works as well. Something simple. I think getting a closed reso on will be the final touch there.

Thanks for all the feedback and help.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Kevin,

TOMS: I have G2's on my toms which I believe are similar to Emperors in that they are dual ply. Maybe I'm tuning them higher than I should. Of course they are different drums which might make a difference. I do have the reso's tuned the same, so maybe tuning them a step higher might be the trick. I just find that your toms have a great sound, and one I'd like to get for mine. They are fatter sounding than mine and tighter sounding as well, if that's the right description and seem to have. I particularly notice it on the fills.

Snare: By "new" used Artwood has the Evans Power Center, but an Ambassador is the plan. I cranked down the top, but haven't really "tuned" it because I'm changing them soon anyway. I'll try out tuning the reso up and see how that turns out.

Kick: Here I'm pretty happy. I've got the EMAD2 which is great. The reso is an older one with the big hole in the center (used to play mic'd at clubs all the time) so when I get the new snare heads, a new BD reso is in the works as well. Something simple. I think getting a closed reso on will be the final touch there.

Thanks for all the feedback and help.
    Nice man.

I think the only real difference between the Remo Emps and G2 is the Emps are thinner ply's, you get a little better snap on the head and more resonance. I used to use G2's, and then I discovered Emps, huge difference to me anyway.

If you change that Reso head on your kick, you will hear a huge difference, basically with a hole that size in your reso head, it is like not having a head at all.

And just IMHO ambassador is the only way to go for a snare drum head.

User Info Menu

I am a HUGE fan of Gavin Harrison..not one of my fave Porcupine tree songs tho. You did alright man.. Gavin is an almost impossible act to follow. Now try Futile! I know,, nevermind. Love your recording techniques. -Les

User Info Menu

That was great Kev. I loved the odd time meter towards the end of the song.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Yo Kev - I'm glad that the vid is back up. You rock bud....

I'm also glad to see that you are within your rights to share this video under the guidlines of "Fair Use" IN TITLE 17 & 107 OF THE UNITED STATES CODE.

You da man!
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Yo Kev - I'm glad that the vid is back up. You rock bud....

I'm also glad to see that you are within your rights to share this video under the guidlines of "Fair Use" IN TITLE 17 & 107 OF THE UNITED STATES CODE.

You da man!
    Thanks man. I knew there was something I could do.

User Info Menu

Kev, I love that little trashy cymbal you were using during that odd time break. What is that, some sorta china splash?
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Kev, I love that little trashy cymbal you were using during that odd time break. What is that, some sorta china splash?
    Thanks. It is a 12" Wuhan China, it has such a quick, trashy sound, I love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DWdrumr View Post
    Thanks. It is a 12" Wuhan China, it has such a quick, trashy sound, I love it.
    it does sound sweet

What time(s) is that mixed meter at the end going between, its sweet dude!

User Info Menu

Man, Kevin, you pick on the hard drummers. Gavin is so awesome. Good job to you!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jydg21 View Post
    it does sound sweet

What time(s) is that mixed meter at the end going between, its sweet dude!
    The odd time groove towards the end goes like this

Kick is 1, snare is 2. To play it right, play 8th notes on the hats or ride & china.

11-2, 11-2, 111-2 repeat. When it jumps up a bit, you keep this same groove, but you move to the ride & china combo keeping an 8th note pattern, which I failed to do, because it is very hard to do lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Man, Kevin, you pick on the hard drummers. Gavin is so awesome. Good job to you!!!
    Thanks man. Yea I do, but it is a challenge for me, I did not play this perfectly, but to be able to play what I did, was very rewarding for me. And challenging myself to do songs like this one and others, keeps me on my toes and gives me new experience and ideas, if that makes since lol.