Thread: Suggestions for a Newb

User Info Menu

Default Suggestions for a Newb

I'm looking to purchase my first drum set and I am wanting to go with electric so that I don't drive my wife crazy and disrupt a newborn that will be here this summer. I would like to spend around $700 usd but might be able to stretch that if needed. I've been researching the following sets and would like opinions from those of you who are familiar with them.

Alesis DM5 Pro
    Yamaha DTXplorer
    Roland HD-1 V

I mainly want something that will be durable and allow me to develop some skills and be able to "grow" with me. Thanks in advance for any input.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Suggestions for a Newb

Well, since you mentioend "grow with me" - I'm gonna have to go against my normal opinion and reccomend probably the Alesis or the DTXplorer. While I feel Roland make superior products, in this instance that kit is limited, and as far as I know can't be expanded. It is a good beginners kit, is space efficient and is great value for money, but if you want something that will "grow with you" this means you will want something you can expand and upgrade as your skills improve - at least that's how I take it. The Alesis DM5 Pro is probably a good bet here, I haven't had much experience with them, but I have seen some good reviews on here and around the net about them, especially with regard to value for money. The Yamaha is definately a safe bet for what your asking as well, good solid brand, well made sturdy product and the drum module has good features. Not sure about the price, but have a look at the Roland TD3 also, as if that falls within your price range, I would put that at the top of the list - again it's my opinion, but Roland are the top of the line for e-kits - maybe behind Hart Dynamics.

On that point have you had a look at their products? Chekc out these
    The qulaity her eis second to none, and these, unlike the others use mesh heads for a more natural feel. I also think they may be the only ones at entry level that use velocity sensitive triggers, but don't quote me on that. The Hart kit is for thepads etc.. on their own, so you woudl need to source a drum module, however generally the Hart's are compatible with anything from ROland, Yamaha or Alesis, and you'l find on that link there an area wher ethey make reccomendations about which modules work best with the product. The other benefit for you here is that the mesh heads are WAY quieter than the rubber pads featured on the other setups you've mentioned, which will work in your favour with your wife and newborn.
    Last edited by drummer; 02-25-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Commercial Link
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

i say go for a used roland td-6 it's in your price range and it's roland !!

User Info Menu

I had a link in my post, however drummer (super mod) had to remove it - apparently it breached the rules about commercial links - didn't realise. Anyways, google Hart dynamics and check out their website - you'll be very impressed.

Subrick Guest

The ION Rocker kit is actually a really good beginners e-kit. It's mainly made for Rock Band, but it can be converted to a normal e-kit with just the purchase of a drum brain. It's fully convertible and accessible.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Subrick View Post
    The ION Rocker kit is actually a really good beginners e-kit. It's mainly made for Rock Band, but it can be converted to a normal e-kit with just the purchase of a drum brain. It's fully convertible and accessible. Here's a link to a bunch of places that sell it.
    *sorry, but I had to delete the commercial link - PB*

Yeah, I've seen that thing - it's pretty cool, but I'm not sure how good it would be as an e-kit - no guarantees about the triggers in it being very durable, and you cna bet they aren't dual triggered pads or anything. Added bonus though if you own Rock Band or Rock band 2

User Info Menu

get a dtxplorer

User Info Menu

I am a newbie, too. So take this for what its worth.

At first my choices were the three you mentioned, plus the Roland TD-4. Then, because of the mesh head on the Rolands, my choices were down to the HD-1 or the TD-4. But not being sure if this was just a passing phase, I really didnt want to buy a $800 or $1000 kit and it turn into a really expensive clothes hangar. So, I picked up the Ion IDE01 elctronic drum set for $229 at Best Buy. I bought this thinking I will try it out and if see that I like it, then I will go and but the Roland, and if I lost interest, It would only cost me$229. But I must say, I am quite pleased with it. It certainly doesnt look like a cool drumset and it doesnt have the mesh head, and it has a few things I dont really like but I must say I am quite pleased with it (at least from a beginners standpoint).

User Info Menu

dont get the ion, youll spend more time replacing beat up parts than playing it