Thread: Electronic drums in Pit Orchestras

User Info Menu

Default Electronic drums in Pit Orchestras

Anyone had any experience using pro e-drum kits in pit orchestras? Bad idea? I've got an upcoming community gig doing Godspell and was planning on experimenting. Bringing a couple of real cymbals though.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Electronic drums in Pit Orchestras

Electronic drums are spawned from the pits of Hell. . .so I guess they would be at home in pits of any kind. . .
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    Electronic drums are spawned from the pits of Hell. . .so I guess they would be at home in pits of any kind. . .
    Oh that's funny. LOL

Jim, I don't have pit experience but I have had experience playing electronic drumkits live. So much of it depends on how the external mix is controlled. E-drumsets are a whole different animal and they're harder to mix out front. You need a sound guy that really knows what he's doing and can work with you on the feeds. I would make sure there's plenty of time to set up and experient a little before the actual live show. See if you can do some practice runs in rehearsals to allow yourself time to dial it in and allow the sound guy to get used to them. I wouldn't just take them in there cold. You could be setting yourself up for disaster.
    - Tom

See the new Drum Bum Store!

When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I agree 100% with Drummer !!

User Info Menu

In the last 3 years I have seen Jesus Christ Superstar, Sunset Boulevard, and Movin' Out. All 3 used V-Drums in the pit. It's probably great for the other musicians sitting a foot away from the drummer.
    Website with free full song transcriptions: redeyepercussion.com
    Youtube channel with covers, lessons, and product reviews: youtube.com/RedeyeSPR