Thread: drum reviews rules ,do we need them?

User Info Menu

Default drum reviews rules ,do we need them?

ok...

im a bit upset with the amount of reviews im reading that start with

"i was at the store the other day"

this is becoming a problem

should you only be able to post a review only once you have the item for over 6 month's

at least then you know then the in's and out's

knowing what head works best and most importantly you have gigged or recorded with the kit

the price tag and a quick tap on the the kit is not enough for a review

am i the only one

User Info Menu

Default Re: drum reviews rules ,do we need them?

Hey Itchie, I'm not sure there are any hard and fast rules, but most of us don't take a review seriously based upon someone just testing it out at the local store. To me in order for it to be a legitimate review, you have to own the gear and be able to give it an intelligent analysis. But hey, that's just me.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I think it would be just common sense that a Review comes with the actual "Hands on" that lends credibility to the subject matter. Such a review by Drummer, Bish, Norske, Shane and so many others serve to make all of us aware of considerations that might otherwise escape our notice. So, with respect to Itchie and Norske, I would suggest that we all think seriously about that which we would like to submit to the Forum for Drum Reviews.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I think it depends on the product - hardware, pedals, head combination etc can only really be reviewed properly when owned. I think a kit can be given a bit of a test review and opinion offered from a demo, as long as it is clear that's all it was. Other things like sticks, cymbals etc... cna generally be given a review from a quick test and tap out in a shop IMO, as there isn't that much to them, and within a few minutes you have a pretty good idea of what it is your feeling/hearing etc..

For example, I sat on a Roland TD12 not long ago in a shop and played aorund on that for about half an hour, and then jumped onto a Yamaha DTXtremeII - for about anothe rhalf hour. in that time I got a pretty good idea of the features, playability etc.. and even some of the potential pitfalls of each kit. I could review them on here I believe and give quite an accurate assessment, the fact I don't own either kit is IMO irrelevant. On the flip side - I wouldn't try and review a pedal I hadn't had the chance to completely screw around with and try all different settings and adjustments, as until you do that, you really don't know the features and quality of the pedal and it's abilities.

That's what I think. How much stock a perosn puts into a review they read will usually me based around several factors, such as the author and their credibility overall, their own experience with the product (if any), the basis behind the review (own it, tested it etc.. friend owns it) and any other reviews they may be able to find about it. If you have read 10 reviews that say the DW EcoX kit is top line then find 1 guy who slams it - which is going to have more stock for you?

Thats what I think anyways
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Well I can tell you that I would be happy to offer my own opinions on gear that I own, but since I am still a relatively new drummer, I wouldn't even try to compare my ability to review equipment with the abilities of our more experienced members. IMHO, you simply need to have experienced enough equipment to be able to have a frame of reference for your review. If I only know one kit, and I am reviewing another kit, i can only compare it to the kit that I know. To me, that's just not enough of a knowledge base to be able to give an adequate review.

Again, I do think it's OK to give thoughts and opinions. That's what Drum Chat is all about, and those thoughts just might spark a discussion that is very helpful to many of our members.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I guess I better curb my language from now on and not say "I was at my favorite drum store this past weekend" since it may not add any credibility to my posts. The trouble with that is that I'm usually at my favorite drum shop or shops every week and have access to all makes and brands of drum equipment.

I really don't believe you have to own a certain piece of equipment for a half a year to make an accurate assessment of that item. After much research there must be some reason why I picked the drum kits I now own, it's because of having access to virtually most makes of drum equipment and being able to directly compare one to the other. Making these direct comparisons nudged me to buy the best, in my opinion, to what other makes they had to offer. There were reason I chose what I bought and just because I do not own the other kits should not be reason to not post comments on why I made the selections I did. BTW, owing a particular piece of gear would also lend a bit of bias from the reviewer. There are not many who would say, "my new purchase was total junk".

One other comment, post counts should not be a criterion or prerequisite for authenticity of any review. It's up to the reader to make an informed choice on the equipment they want to buy, we can guide, but they must make the purchase. It almost sounds like the only people to really listen intently to are the people with post counts above 1000. Sorry I'm not there yet and probably never will be, so all I can rely on is 48 years of experience.

I know I wasn't being singled out, but the above statement contained a lot of mannerisms I use in my posts.

Sorry, this post hit me the wrong way. Is it Saturday yet?

Dennis

User Info Menu

Dennis, you make some very valid points, especially about ownership, and I would also echo that post count has very little to do with real experience. I don't think you have to worry about that one at all. I, for one, have benefitted from your thoughts around here.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
    I guess I better curb my language from now on and not say "I was at my favorite drum store this past weekend" since it may not add any credibility to my posts. The trouble with that is that I'm usually at my favorite drum shop or shops every week and have access to all makes and brands of drum equipment.

I really don't believe you have to own a certain piece of equipment for a half a year to make an accurate assessment of that item. After much research there must be some reason why I picked the drum kits I now own, it's because of having access to virtually most makes of drum equipment and being able to directly compare one to the other. Making these direct comparisons nudged me to buy the best, in my opinion, to what other makes they had to offer. There were reason I chose what I bought and just because I do not own the other kits should not be reason to not post comments on why I made the selections I did. BTW, owing a particular piece of gear would also lend a bit of bias from the reviewer. There are not many who would say, "my new purchase was total junk".

One other comment, post counts should not be a criterion or prerequisite for authenticity of any review. It's up to the reader to make an informed choice on the equipment they want to buy, we can guide, but they must make the purchase. It almost sounds like the only people to really listen intently to are the people with post counts above 1000. Sorry I'm not there yet and probably never will be, so all I can rely on is 48 years of experience.

I know I wasn't being singled out, but the above statement contained a lot of mannerisms I use in my posts.

Dennis
    Ditto Nuff Said

User Info Menu

.... It almost sounds like the only people to really listen intently to are the people with post counts above 1000. Sorry I'm not there yet and probably never will be, so all I can rely on is 48 years of experience.

Dennis
    No worries Dennis..I think the authors reasoning for this thread was more of a personal rant. I agree that to make any kind of subjective analysis of a product, drum or otherwise one first needs to at the very least use/play that product and not go on what he or she has heard on a youtube video as basis for pro and con comentary.
    It's all good brother, we like you here and your 48 years of drumming experience makes you an asset to DrumChat! -Les

User Info Menu

Dennis
    I see you are 200 odd posts and I havent seen a mis-informed one yet.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

After I hit the submit button, I wished I hadn't. I got up from the wrong side of the bed this morning. Try to forget that I posted my rant.

Sorry,
    Dennis

User Info Menu

After I hit the submit button, I wished I hadn't. I got up from the wrong side of the bed this morning. Try to forget that I posted my rant.

Sorry,
    Dennis
    I didnt take it as a rant , i thought you made some very valid points,

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Sorry,
    Dennis
    I, too, didn't think your post was a rant, Dennis. Maybe the crabby pants you had on were a little tight? J/K!!!

I got into a debate on here a long time ago defending ddrums. I've owned and gigged with a ddrum kit flawlessly for 6 months and then had someone comment how crappy ddrums were. It turns out they were in a store and hit around on them for a few minutes and that was how they came up with their opinion on them. That just isn't right.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I, too, didn't think your post was a rant, Dennis. Maybe the crabby pants you had on were a little tight? J/K!!!

I got into a debate on here a long time ago defending ddrums. I've owned and gigged with a ddrum kit flawlessly for 6 months and then had someone comment how crappy ddrums were. It turns out they were in a store and hit around on them for a few minutes and that was how they came up with their opinion on them. That just isn't right.
    yeh but they are crappy.

lmao.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

CONUCR with PB

User Info Menu

I think there's a big difference between someone with a year of drumming under their belt posting a review, from having played a kit for ten minutes in the local shop as compared to someone like Dennis, with 48 years of drumming experience playing that kit for ten minutes. The more experienced drummer understands things about the drums that a relative newbie generally does not. My remark about owning the gear was only a feeble attempt at qualifying the difference, but it was probably a poor choice of words.

So it's not post count, but experience that to me makes the biggest difference in lending credibility to a review. That doesn't mean someone with a year of drumming can't give a great review, but there are other criteria. First convince me if you're comparing it to another kit, that you've played the other kit, not just heard one. I've played a lot of kits, but I wouldn't compare a DW kit to my Mapex Orion kit, because I've never played the DW. Don't call one kit the best thing since sliced bread when you haven't had the opportunity to play or own anything else. Tell us what makes it unique to you - the quality, the finish, the construction, the sound, ease of tuning, whatever, but don't get into comparisons or unfairly qualify it as the "best out there". I think that probably expresses my meaning a little better.

Like you Dennis, I tend to research the heck out of anything before I buy, so I know where you're coming from on that.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

i think if someone writes a review, it should be appreciated that they took time to put how they feel about the product into words

User Info Menu

Dennis

I agree completely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat View Post
    i think if someone writes a review, it should be appreciated that they took time to put how they feel about the product into words
    Sorry we gunned you MD..but I believe that a review on your Tayes would be better accepted. -Les

User Info Menu

you want me to write a review of them?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat View Post
    you want me to write a review of them?
    ...no

-Les

..someone else on the other hand...