Thread: Suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Suggestions?

Aight, I've been playing drums for a while and, (prepare to laugh) I think it's about time I actually buy my own set. I play mostly death and thrash metal, but like to mix it up with some jazz a little. The fact that my favorate drummers are Brann Dailor and New American Gospel-era Chris Adler should say enough about my style... I'm looking for a not-extemely expensive DOUBLE BASS kit, because I'm not a fan of the whole one kick drum with the two pedals thing... I was looking at the Jeoy Jordison Pearl kit, even though I'm NOT a Slipknot fan and half of the price of that kit is most likely for his name on it. Here's the links to some of the sets I've got my eye on...

The Joey Jordison kit is appealing cuz of his snare, which I've played at a shop and it is AWESOME.

Check those out and tell me what's up cuz I really don't know much about drumsets at all, having just started....
    (BTW I picked the large kits because I'm used to playing Chiko's 8piece {?} Session kit.) LOL.

User Info Menu

Hey Seraph, Welcome to the site!

I have a 7 piece Pearl ELX kit almost the same as the first kit ( minus a bass drum, I use a double pedal) and I love it! The sound is awesome. When I got rid of my CB kit and got this one, the first time the rest of my band heard me play this kit they about crapped their pants it sounds so good right out of the box.

The hardware is very good, especially the ISS mounts, but you might want to upgrade your pedals fairly quickly as I feel the P120P's are a little too lightweight to be able to take TOO much abuse, especially playing metal. I jumped up to the P2002C Double bass pedal set and the adjustablity and strength of the pedals was well worth the extra money.

I do like the Jordison snare. I got a chance to play with one at Guitar Center and that thing has a huge "crack" to it! It's deep, yet bright, and can cut through anything.

Unfortunatly, I hav'nt tried out any Mapex kits, but I hear the M Birch model is a very good kit for it's price range.

Hope that helped a little.....
    Last edited by 1DrumBum; 12-23-2006 at 12:59 AM.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I'd go the Pearl ELX kit, but definately upgrade your pedals quick smart.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I'd take

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help guys... lol will probably have a few more sets too by the time I get the cash for one

I think for now I like the first one, cuz I really don't want to buy a whole kit just for the snare, I can always upgrade later. I checked out a bunch of (Meinl) cymbals and to get the ones I want, it'll cost almost as much as the first kit! Two crashes, two splashes, and a Chris Adler sig. ride. Dang, I never knew drumming was so expensive... lol looks like it's time to turn in my Fazolis application

User Info Menu

Ahh the joys of being a musician. Most of the time you'll be broke.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I just saw a joey Jordison set & I thought it looked like crap. Why would you want to look like him ?? Be your own drummer. That black hardware looks like dogsh&t & the drums are to small for me. You will NEVER get his exact sound cause the drums he plays are no where near what that kit is. Plus what you hear on a cd has NO relation to what the drums really sound like. Get drums you like because they sound good to you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    I'd go the Pearl ELX kit, but definately upgrade your pedals quick smart.

HB58
    What he said.

That's what I use as my main gigging kit, and it's the bee's knees, the nun's nuts, the dog's balls, etc. etc.

Don't worry too much about the Jordinson snare - it's more expensive than it's worth. If you hunt around ebay and second hand goods, you can find something that does the job (or better) at a much cheaper price. For metal I'm using a brass piccolo snare and it's absolutely perfect, cuts through and has the fast response that you need for blast beats, etc.