Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mixer help

User Info Menu

Question mixer help

looking for some help with a mixer. want to record/live stuff with it. want something thats good. what stuff should i look for, usb? etc?

this is the one i was thinking about

Fantastic sound, rugged build, and imaginative features.

The Allen & Heath ZED-24 audio mixer has a fantastic pedigree: nearly 40 years of making mixing desks for professional sound engineers. The ZED-24 mixer's audio circuitry is based on years of continual development and refinement. All the elements within the mixer have been perfected to insure the very best sound quality possible.

This is a mixer with broad appeal, from entry-level to professionals. You get fantastic sound, rugged build quality, and imaginative features. The ZED-24 mixer is equally happy running your gig on stage, recording live, or mixing down in your studio at home.

The features are incredibly advanced for a mixer at this level. The ZED 24 has 23 independent sources to the mix, 10 independent outputs, 4 aux sends (2 pre and 2 post fade), a USB send and return for PC or Mac recording, playback and effects, a unique dual stereo input capability and some very advanced monitoring facilities.

In fact, the ZED-24 mixer is so packed with great features that you'd think it would cost much, much more! In addition to 16 mono channels there are 4 stereo channels, each with a main stereo input on jack sockets and the ability to take additional stereo inputs from phono sockets or from the USB audio input, enabling you to control and route any source.

The ZED-24 mixer features a responsive 3-band swept-mid EQ, with an optimized slope for equalizing individual instruments. The ZED-24 also features high quality DuoPre pre-amps, which use a two stage design, with carefully controlled amounts of gain in each stage, offering lots of headroom. Allen & Heath includes the excellent SONAR LE digital audio workstation software for Windows with the ZED-24 multipurpose mixer. With audio and MIDI multi-track recording and mixing capability, effects plug-ins and editing features, SONAR LE enables the ZED-24 audio mixer to become a live sound, recording, or home recording mixer.

Allen & Heath ZED-24 Mixer Features:
    Multipurpose mixer with USB for live sound, recording and production
    16 mono mic/line inputs
    4 stereo line inputs
    DuoPre mic preamplifiers
    Insert points
    High pass filter
    Responsive 3-band swept mid-channel EQ
    4 aux sends (2 pre-, 2 post-fade)
    Stereo imaging control on every channel
    Channel mute switches
    Professional 100mm faders
    Stereo return
    2-track return
    USB send and return for PC/MAC with controls for recording playback and effects
    USB Audio In/Out: USB 1.1 compliant 16bit
    Sample Rate: 32, 44.1, or 48kHz
    Advanced monitoring facilities
    1/4 inch and 3.5mm headphones outputs
    Stereo record out
    Alternative stereo out
    Mono sum of LR output
    Main LR
    12-bar LR meters
    Master controls for aux1&2
    Cakewalk SONAR LE bundled with mixer
    Last edited by AddictJ; 02-26-2009 at 07:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: mixer help

As posted in your other thread....Nice board!

If you have the money you won't be disappointed.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

yea i heard they were good. im new to recording, just want to make sure i get one that i can work up to.

User Info Menu

bish how many channels is yours?

User Info Menu

Mine is 14 channels.

Here's a picture of mine..."buried in the mix" so to speak...

Signature here

User Info Menu

was thinking about the audix fusion 7 piece mic set also

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AddictJ View Post
    was thinking about the audix fusion 7 piece mic set also
    I hear good things about Audix. I don't hear bad things about them.

As far as a specific combination of mics, go with whatever covers your set the best.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

You will need Firewire. USB will only feed stereo so you will not have the abilty to mix laterinless you only record two tracks at a time.

Firewire will give you 16 individual tracks. and you can daisy chane most Firewire products. The Presonus firepod is 8 inputs but you can daisychaine 3 together for 24 inputs

There are lots of great devices out there.

Alesis, TASCAM, YAMAHA, Presonus are just a few to look at.

You really can break it down to two functions, Mixer / Control Surface and Pre amps. You can buy these together in one system like I did or you can buy them as individual units.

I personally prefer motorized faders so they will always sync up with the software. I use an older TASCAM DM-24. This gave me everything I was looking for 16, pre amps, motorized faders and transport control.

So you can see it is more then grabbing a mixer, you need to think about what you are trying to accomplish and do you homework based on that

Last edited by rmandelbaum; 03-03-2009 at 05:02 PM.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Sheesh, I'm coming to your place.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

You are always welcome
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    You will need Firewire. USB will only feed stereo so you will not have the abilty to mix laterinless you only record two tracks at a time.

Firewire will give you 16 individual tracks. and you can daisy chane most Firewire products. The Presonus firepod is 8 inputs but you can daisychaine 3 together for 24 inputs

There are lots of great devices out there.

Alesis, TASCAM, YAMAHA, Presonus are just a few to look at.

You really can break it down to two functions, Mixer / Control Surface and Pre amps. You can buy these together in one system like I did or you can buy them as individual units.

I personally prefer motorized faders so they will always sync up with the software. I use an older TASCAM DM-24. This gave me everything I was looking for 16, pre amps, motorized faders and transport control.

So you can see it is more then grabbing a mixer, you need to think about what you are trying to accomplish and do you homework based on that

im a newbie to recording. what do u mean only 2 tracks?

User Info Menu

i want something i can use live and record, and poss record some live gigs. i have no idea what i need now. i want something i dont have to upgrade soon after also. would a labtop and interfae be a better route or do i need a mixer also? im so lost, why do i have to be the guy that has to do this lol

User Info Menu

Music is recorded in tracks for example

track 1 Kick
    track 2 snare
    track 3 high hat
    track 4 tom1
    track 5 tom2
    track 6 overhead right
    track 7 overhead left
    track 9 bass
    track 10 rhythm guitar
    track 11 lead guitar
    track 12 lead vocals
    track 13 backing vocals.

Then when the recording is done you have the ability to work on the sound and volume of each track to create a "mix"

USB only will allow 1 stereo or two mono tracks to be transmitted to the recording system.

So with USB you have to mix everything in the mixer on the way into the recording system. Once it is recorded you have to work with all instruments as a whole instead of individually like I said above.

Firewire interfaces will allow you to record individual tracks. You do do this all at once or one instrument at at time and any combination in between.

Here read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitrack_recording
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    Music is recorded in tracks for example

track 1 Kick
    track 2 snare
    track 3 high hat
    track 4 tom1
    track 5 tom2
    track 6 overhead right
    track 7 overhead left
    track 9 bass
    track 10 rhythm guitar
    track 11 lead guitar
    track 12 lead vocals
    track 13 backing vocals.

Then when the recording is done you have the ability to work on the sound and volume of each track to create a "mix"

USB only will allow 1 stereo or two mono tracks to be transmitted to the recording system.

So with USB you have to mix everything in the mixer on the way into the recording system. Once it is recorded you have to work with all instruments as a whole instead of individually like I said above.

Firewire interfaces will allow you to record individual tracks. You do do this all at once or one instrument at at time and any combination in between.

Here read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitrack_recording
    thats what i was thinking just needed someone to clarify it. so what is the need for a mixer or one like yours? i still need mixer for live stuff?

User Info Menu

You can mix in the software really, you don't need a mixer, you need inputs. I just prefer a mixer to mixing in the software. Live sound and recording are two different functions with different goals. That is why there are recording mixers and live sound mixers.

Live sound mixer basically takes all the inputs and sends one mixed signal back out for the audience to hear.

A recording mixer takes all the inputs and sends them back out individually to a recording device.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

would a Tascam US-2400 do the trick? i dont think its digital though. can be that thing is way to cheap to be 24 chl digital.

User Info Menu

most pro recording desks are expencive. I like the presonus firewires.

Practical for gigging then just plug in via firewire. then control everything thats not on the desk on screen. Since all programs do it. Dual use and practical. Thats what i like about them anyway.

Oh the come in 18 and 24 channels.... even smaller and maybe one size up. But the thing my mate found best about them was a really good recording quality . at asio speeds. for all 18. or 24 tracks....
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

ended up with a firestudio tube (16 inputs) and audix fusion 7 peice mic set. not i need to figure out how to used cubase!!! dont help im a complete noob to recording

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=rmandelbaum;173974]Music is recorded in tracks for example

track 1 Kick
    track 2 snare
    track 3 high hat
    track 4 tom1
    track 5 tom2
    track 6 overhead right
    track 7 overhead left
    track 9 bass
    track 10 rhythm guitar
    track 11 lead guitar
    track 12 lead vocals
    track 13 backing vocals.

are these tracks limited to what their name implies? i mean what if you need 2 kicks and 4-6 toms, and a lotta overheads? can you use any input to cover them in the place of say lead guitar, vocals, backing vocals, bass?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post

track 1 Kick
    track 2 snare
    track 3 high hat
    track 4 tom1
    track 5 tom2
    track 6 overhead right
    track 7 overhead left
    track 9 bass
    track 10 rhythm guitar
    track 11 lead guitar
    track 12 lead vocals
    track 13 backing vocals.

are these tracks limited to what their name implies? i mean what if you need 2 kicks and 4-6 toms, and a lotta overheads? can you use any input to cover them in the place of say lead guitar, vocals, backing vocals, bass?
    That list is a typical list, but It's really up to what you need to mix. If you have horns and no singer, then that's what you'd do. If you are recording drums only, then your list would look different.

As mentioned in the other thread... you don't need a gazillion mics.

One dynamic cardiod mic per kick, one dynamic cardiod mic for the snare, A dynamic cardiod mic centered between 2 toms (This is to save you expense and headache.) You could close mic the hh and ride if you want, but you don't need to. The other cymbals will be picked up by the 2 overheads. You only need 2 overheads max because a stereo signal is only R and L. Anything more is overkill.

1 kick
    2 second kick (if necessary)
    3 snare
    4 two rack toms
    5 two floor toms
    6 overhead right
    7 overhead left
    8 hi hat (if necessary)
    9 ride (if necessary)
    10 bass
    11 guitar
    12 vox

etc........
    Last edited by CycleDude; 04-24-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I read these threads w/mixer- mic questions and find myself reading the same thing 10 times and still scratching my head.Not that any of the info is questionable, more I'm a complete maroon when it comes to this stuff.The guys in my band are all over this stuff but have no patience at all when it comes to explaining any of it.We have our main computer (Mac) set up with pro tools and all this other stuff and I paid my share of the 5 of us to buy it all.No clue what it is.I own a Korg Triton they use for w/e and get so lost when they start talking about all the technical stuff it can do.If I can sit and put it on grand piano and play some James Taylor or w/e good enough for me.I have 2 Akai samplers I know how to turn on and that's about it.More mics then I can count,rack mounted effects for everything and anything and again, no clue.Then they (4 of them) all show up with there mac books and the technical blah blah blah starts..I don't need a mac, just tell me the chorus ya came up with is in 7.So where did you guys all learn this stuff? someone show ya or just learn on the fly? I did some of the stuff in school back in 88' but all that stuff is obsolete now, even if I could remember it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    I read these threads w/mixer- mic questions and find myself reading the same thing 10 times and still scratching my head.Not that any of the info is questionable, more I'm a complete maroon when it comes to this stuff.The guys in my band are all over this stuff but have no patience at all when it comes to explaining any of it.We have our main computer (Mac) set up with pro tools and all this other stuff and I paid my share of the 5 of us to buy it all.No clue what it is.I own a Korg Triton they use for w/e and get so lost when they start talking about all the technical stuff it can do.If I can sit and put it on grand piano and play some James Taylor or w/e good enough for me.I have 2 Akai samplers I know how to turn on and that's about it.More mics then I can count,rack mounted effects for everything and anything and again, no clue.Then they (4 of them) all show up with there mac books and the technical blah blah blah starts..I don't need a mac, just tell me the chorus ya came up with is in 7.So where did you guys all learn this stuff? someone show ya or just learn on the fly? I did some of the stuff in school back in 88' but all that stuff is obsolete now, even if I could remember it.

Really, I'm not much more aware than you. I find hands on gets me there the hard knocks way. I don't know squat compared to my sound guy.

I know enough to get a personal sound track to a public web site. It suits my needs.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I tried midi and pc recording WAY early on (tinkering not real stuff) and I am the only one at church that has a clue. So........hands on larnin fer me too!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

I use the M-audio fast track pro. It only has two mic inputs and two 1/4 in inputs, but you can use only two at a time. The only problem about the interface. I just got the interface during x-mas for about $150. It's doing me good. For recording my drums I'm just using a single sure beta 57. No mixer but hope to get one soon