Thread: What's a sampler?

User Info Menu

Default What's a sampler?

title

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's a sampler?

It's from Whitmans. 6 assorted pieces of chocolate in a box the size of a wallet.

Or 6-10 varieties of homemade beers in single serving sizes offered by local brewerys.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Bish I had exactly the same answer to this question. Since you were the first, you can take the entire blame.

Dennis

User Info Menu

Actually in a audio context, it is an electronic piece of equipment that is capable of "sampling" just about any audio source through a microphone or direct line input. This "sample" can then be played back latter from it's memory to include it into a song or intro or whatever. Samples can also be triggered by attaching triggers to a drum or drums on your kit.

I use to use samplers doing V/O work where I would need a specific sound effect or voice effect for a commercial. You can take a sample and run it through a keyboard for a full gamut of effects.

This is a very simplified version of a sampler.

Hope it helps,
    Dennis

User Info Menu

Thanks, Dennis.

I guess it comes from my youth. Always got a Whitmans in my Xmas stocking. Whitmans Sampler. I used to borrow my brothers' caramel. I wonder if he ever figured out it was me?
    Signature here