Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death metal solo

Subrick Guest

Default Death metal solo

Instead of a cover, I decided to do a few solos. This is the first one.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=remJohXZLFo"]YouTube - Tech death/black metal solo[/ame]

Enjoy.

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Death metal solo

Thomas Lejon would be proud Nuff Said

User Info Menu

That's good stuff dude

User Info Menu

Man your fast ! I don't play that many strokes in a whole set !

Subrick Guest

Okay, through the use of an internet metronome, I've calculated that the opening part is about 210 bpm. I believe that the tempo (particularly the hyperblasting) gets up to about 250 bpm.

Not bad for 2 months over a year, huh?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Subrick View Post
    Okay, through the use of an internet metronome, I've calculated that the opening part is about 210 bpm. I believe that the tempo (particularly the hyperblasting) gets up to about 250 bpm.

Not bad for 2 months over a year, huh?
    Not Bad??? How about VERY GOOD!!!!! Pretty quick, too!!

User Info Menu

Thats pretty br00tal

also you need to work on your stick twirling hehe
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Pretty good but heres some constructive critisism work on evening your double bass right now it sounds like flams also metal isnt about getting as much notes as you can in one measure try playing some more interesting parts with the blast beats and what nots....btw nice rock band guitar
    You can't change the past but you can always alter the future.

User Info Menu

You are fast as all get out, but I agree with Beetbox that you need to mix it up a little. More variety in the fills.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

Subrick Guest

You have to take into account, though, that this not only was my first solo but was improv'd completely. If I write a scripted solo, then I'll have variety in the fills. It's not easy to think of what to do next when playing at this speed, ya know!

User Info Menu

Wasn't a knock, just a suggestion. I think just varying the speed in what you are playing will go a long way.

Hey just realized you are my neck of the woods so to some extent. I'm in Danbury, on the Bethel border.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

Subrick Guest

Hmm. Collab, perhaps?

User Info Menu

Interesting idea, but with work, 2 kids, 2 dogs, etc... I barely play with the band I'm in! Just nice to know someone's in the area.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

2 years and two months..... very good man, top marks to you.

Your style and dynamics will come into there own as you progress on your journey. For now do what you feel and enjoy, for a first solo that was way cool.

Official cowbell hater.

Subrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    2 years and two months..... very good man, top marks to you.

Your style and dynamics will come into there own as you progress on your journey. For now do what you feel and enjoy, for a first solo that was way cool.

Not two years. Only one year.

And thank you for commenting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Subrick View Post
    Not two years. Only one year.

And thank you for commenting.
    you got some fast hands for just over a year, cool.
    shame about playing metal music though....oh well ya cant have it all.

Official cowbell hater.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Wasn't a knock, just a suggestion. I think just varying the speed in what you are playing will go a long way.

Hey just realized you are my neck of the woods so to some extent. I'm in Danbury, on the Bethel border.
    Ditto Nuff Said

Subrick Guest

I just have to say thank you all for your positive comments and even to those for your not as positive comments. You help me a lot in terms of style and technique and it's awesome.

Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Hopefully you realize most, if not all, of us are just trying to give constructive feedback.

You're unbelievably fast, and therefore you can probably branch out and use that speed to do a greater variety of fills. Give it time and keep practicing.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

Subrick Guest

I've been trying to make some songs and fills of my own. I have one written that I'll put up in a few days. There's no title to it yet, but I'm thinking.

Hopefully you realize most, if not all, of us are just trying to give constructive feedback.

You're unbelievably fast, and therefore you can probably branch out and use that speed to do a greater variety of fills. Give it time and keep practicing.
    That's the best kind of feedback. I don't like senseless flaming.

And thanks for the speed compliment.

Larrysperf Guest

I for one would like to hear you play some Disturbed just to get a feel of your drumming. Nuff Said but you do have fast chops

Subrick Guest

I have a video of Down With The Sickness, but it's awful. I'm gonna do Inside the Fire when I can procure a new/repaired iPod.

User Info Menu

Are you into System of a Down at all? It's not nearly as fast drumming, but he does some interesting stuff which might be fun for you.

With a lot of metal there's always the issue of trying to play above your paygrade in terms of speed. You don't have that issue, which is a bonus, but I think you'll enjoy playing stuff that has more varied tempos in it, and maybe even some weird time signatures.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

First off, I have to say that is impressive for only playing for 14 months.

You do need to tidy up your double bass, it's uneven. Other than that, when you do a solo make sure you plan it out ahead of time.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

Subrick Guest

Are you into System of a Down at all? It's not nearly as fast drumming, but he does some interesting stuff which might be fun for you.

With a lot of metal there's always the issue of trying to play above your paygrade in terms of speed. You don't have that issue, which is a bonus, but I think you'll enjoy playing stuff that has more varied tempos in it, and maybe even some weird time signatures.
    I know how to do BYOB and parts of Question! I play Dream Theater and Meshuggah as well, so I'd say I'm pretty well veered on time signaturing. Death metal doesn't really have weird time sigs, but I might try to do some of that.