Thread: Where to sit?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Where to sit?

Hi All

I went to my mates house as his misses is giving me some pointers with my drumming (she's one wicked drummer), she said i sit to much to the left and not central enough, i don't mean the chairs off to the left, i'm turned off to much so i can not travel around the kit quick enough, and i have noticed my back start to hurt from twisting round to use the ride, Should i be sitting straight forward???? is there a correct way to Judge how you should sit?

Silly question i know but i don't want any bad habbits.

Cheers All
    Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: Where to sit?

Mark, if your friend's Mrs. is "one wicked drummer," I would sit however she told me to sit, and find out if it worked for me. Personally, I sit facing straight forward, because I have my set up balanced with equal things to hit on both sides of me. BTW, I don't twist my back too much. I try to let the throne do a fair amount of the twisting.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i'll post a couple of pic's that might help, showing how my kits set up.

loaded.jpg

drums1.jpg

drums2.jpg

It looks a bitto close together on a couple of the pic's, is that a problem to?

Mark

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I actually sit a wee bit facing left, but I have a 2 up 1 down set up so I don't have to twist to the right so much
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Are you left handed? If so you sit just like I do. If you made the adjustment as she suggested will it help you? Give it a try a few times and compare the two seating positions, in fact record a track or two of you playing the same song but seated differently i.e. postion one then position two if have a cam, record it and see if you are reaching etc. Let us know how this turns out.

User Info Menu

Mark,

I would say you sit too tight, more than anything. The drums seem really close together, particularly the floor tom, and you seem right on top of them. If you sat back a little and spread a little more you could reach everything more readily, I would think.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Where to sit?

I Sit Abit Left As My Snare Rests At About "7 0'clock"
    Of My 8x12 Tom,,,,,But I Am Straight Away,,,,And I Have Equal Drums To Left And Right So I Can Play "OUT AND AROUND"( LIKE KEITH MOON)I Can Spread My Arms Out To "9 & 3 "on Da Clock,Have A Drum Or Somethin To Hit Without Twisting My Torso(It Elimintes Da Don Henley Syndrome And Have Severe Back Problems From Twisting Yer Body To Be In Da Position To Sing),,,Check Out Some "Billy Ward " Videos....Great Placement Advice....Be Wise My Phriend,,,,,,Trust Me ,,,,Years From Now Yer Body Will Thank You For Your Consideration .....
    Dont Forget To Take Care Of Your Ears,Yer Hands,and Yer Eyes!!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

many many many many many many many many[you get the picture] years ago, My instructor had me set up my seating postition by using my sticks. from the middle of the snare to the middle of the toms end to end of the stick etc etc. seemed to work for me.
    Are ya completely lost?

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Mark, I am guessing from the pics that your buddy's Mrs. is suggesting that you slide your throne a bit to the left, so that you are sitting in front of your snare. Since it is your left foot on the bass drum pedal, the new position will allow the right leg to be right in line with the bass pedal, and should free up the muscles to work in a natural manner. Also, since you have a 5 piece kit, the new position should really keep twisting to a minimum, especially if you are able to sit comfortably back from the snare.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

If you are comfortable were you are then stay there. Remeber you and your friends body are completely different. What works for her might not work for you.

User Info Menu

No doubt NR, in the end it has to be what is right for Mark.

User Info Menu

If you want to start over, start with the bass drum and make sure your foot and leg are comfortable. Then add the snare and then the hi-hat. Get comfortable with those and then add the floor tom. However everything feels right is how you should set up everytime.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Based on the pics, and what you said, I would think you may want to consider tryign to move your snare to the right (while sitting at the drums) a bit, so you can rotate your facing position a little more that way. ALso, consider bring your hi-hats clsoer to the right also, and moving them out from you slightly, so they are slightly forward of the snare, not right next to it.

Looking at your setup, it seems pretty typical of allot of drummers, so I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with it, but as an idea, try what i've said, and see if that falls more in line with the advice of this friend of yours. This minor adjustments will cause adjustment to the way you feel at the kit as well, so don't necassarily disregard it because it seems weird, as given a chance you may find it has benefits of moving things to a position of better reach and posture for yourself, and make your movement around the kit more fluid and easy.

Just my two cents
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

The key to your question is the fact that you're feeling some pain in your back. Try adjusting the stool and if that doesn't seem to alleviate the problem, adjust your kit, as Craz suggested. Never ignore a loony with a plunger mate!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Mark...As I look at the photo you provided, you are sitting much to close to the kit. Back up just a bit so that your legs are comfortable, everything is within your reach and you can turn as needed without straining your back.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I would say start with moving your throne back. I have mine set so the back of my heel is about even with the front of my knee (if that makes sense). It helps keep everything within reach without having to twist at all really. And it gives you more room for crossovers.

User Info Menu

I have mine set up almost the same, so Ima pickin up on all the suggestions!! Thanks guys!!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Hi All

I went to my mates house as his misses is giving me some pointers with my drumming (she's one wicked drummer), she said i sit to much to the left and not central enough, i don't mean the chairs off to the left, i'm turned off to much so i can not travel around the kit quick enough, and i have noticed my back start to hurt from twisting round to use the ride, Should i be sitting straight forward???? is there a correct way to Judge how you should sit?

Silly question i know but i don't want any bad habbits.

Cheers All
    Mark
    Many moons ago, my drum teacher told me to
    "Sit in the chair-comfortable, then built the kit where your feet naturally fall, not everyones the same."
    Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

good posture is half the battle

User Info Menu

Is it wrong that when I read the thred title I just wanted to be a child and write "on the stool"
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

lol, yeah looking back maybe i should have changed the title...

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

No, its fine...its just me being...well, me lol...

I was in a childish mood...I'd had too much sugar

or not enough...............
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks