Thread: New and Need Advice

User Info Menu

Default New and Need Advice

Ok, I am going to come straight to you. I have never played the drums before, and really dont expect to be amazing.

With that said, Im a 17 year old kid living in Connecticut, which has a pretty big underground music scene. Always been a fan of drumming, yet never really had the time or the patience to learn. I want that to change, but I am really oblivious when it comes to most things.

So, I have some questions. Hopefully you guys can help me out, as I really need it.

First, I need to buy a drum set.

I understand that there are variations, at that if I buy new, its going to be more expensive than if I buy used. I've searched the Craigslist in my area to find some good deals, but the problem is I dont know what is good for a beginner and isnt. I want to spend around $500-$600, and I would really like a complete set. I dont want a snare to start off and then upgrade, I really want to start with the entire thing. If I could get some suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

I really dont want to take lessons either, I just want to learn at my own pace in my own time. If anybody knows of any good websites for tips, or you have some tips of your own, I'd really appreciate that as well.

And, if you have any advice for an upcoming drummer, either good or bad, id love to hear it.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: New and Need Advice

Welcome to Drum Chat Bryan, and welcome to the world of drumming! If you give it the right effort, and take some encouragement from the folks around here, I think you'll find that it's going to be a great journey.

OK, now in response to your questions, are you thinking of $500-$600 for the entire set -with cymbals, stands, bass pedals, and throne - or just for the drums, because that will have a big impact on the recommendations.

As to drum lessons, there are some great lessons available here: http://drumbum.com/lessons/
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'm thinking of the entire set. I dont want anything fancy, just enough so that I can play and learn, yet not feel like im being cheated.

User Info Menu

You should be able to get a set with cymbals for under $600, but it may require a little patience. Watch craigslist and other classified sites and you should be able to do it. I just helped a friend score a really nice 5 piece (snare, three toms, and bass) Mapex set with 4 cymbals stands, hi-hat stand, bass pedal, hi-hat, crash-ride cymbals and splash for $575. You don't have to start with a kit of this quality obviously, so you should be OK.
    I would like to encourage you to take lessons though. A good instructor will prevent you from developing bad habits that will take a long time to break. Not only that, but your progression will be much faster. Trust me, I've done it both ways, and lessons are worth it.
    With that said, good luck whichever path you take.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Bryan, where in CT are you? Find the closest Daddy's Junky Music store near you and head over there. There's on in Hartford, Waterbury, Stamford, and a few others.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Hey Bryan,
    Definately watch craigslist and ebay. You can get a complete kit with cymbals for $500-600.

I agree with lagerhead. Taking lessons will actually make your growth come faster and you'll be better for it. Drumming is tons of fun, but can be discouraging at times. A teacher can help you through those trying times quicker than you can do on your own. Plus your less apt to quit and waste the $500.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

You're on the right track with CL. Stick with a name brand and you will wind up with a decent kit. Look for sets like Pearl Export, Gretsch Catalina, Yamaha Stage Custom, Mapex M, Tama Rockstar. Any of these will be a great starter set and will last you a good few years before the need to upgrade. You should be able to find all of these used with cymbals and hardware in your price range or lower.

I have to agree with Lagerhead that lessons are extremely helpful to a beginner. Even if its just 1 or 2 lessons to learn the proper way to hold the sticks and how to tune and setup the kit correctly. After that there is a slew of information on this site and tons of videos on youtube that can help you the rest of the way. It is much easier to learn the correct way than having to go back and fix something your muscles learned incorrectly.

User Info Menu

Hey Bryan. This is a pretty decent deal, add new heads and ya still under $600....http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/1078032480.html
    Last edited by zzzdanz; 03-18-2009 at 07:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Reverend D.; 03-18-2009 at 06:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    You're on the right track with CL. Stick with a name brand and you will wind up with a decent kit. Look for sets like Pearl Export, Gretsch Catalina, Yamaha Stage Custom, Mapex M, Tama Rockstar. Any of these will be a great starter set and will last you a good few years before the need to upgrade. You should be able to find all of these used with cymbals and hardware in your price range or lower.
    Don't forget pdp.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Umm, shouldn't be linking to commercial sites folks.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

I figured CL is a public forum wouldn't be a problem...my bad

User Info Menu

My bad.

User Info Menu

Sounds like you got all the good advice you can be given... if you find a set you like feel free to tell us about it. Just keep in mind that we're all kinda biased towards certain manufacturers so unless it's a unanimous "no", the set will probably be good for you.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat, Bryan. I think everyone pretty much covered what you need to know.

To the members who have done so, please remove the commercial links from your posts.

Thank you!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Bish,

Does naming a store pose a problem, or just links? Just want to clarify.

Jesse
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Welcome to the Forum! 17 is a wonderful age to begin playing the drums. You will have to physical ability as well as mental to grasp the concepts. And where will you find these concepts? With a good teacher. So, if you really want to make a change from not having the interest or the patience to learn, you need a plan of action:
    First and foremost will be Lessons. Yes, there are many who are self taught and doing very well. We have several here in the Forum. The reality is they are the exception. So, find a teacher before you even think about getting a drumset. A few months of lessons will help you decide whether this is worth it. The teacher will also be a Mentor and help to guide you when you wish to acquire the appropriate gear. Everyone here is well meaning and glad to tell you about what they have. However, they are beyond the starting line. Think about what it is you want to do then take that first step.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Pretty much, what they all said. You can find a nice kit from Daddys or Craigslist in your price range. People start and quit playing all the time and you can pick up some nice stuff for a bargain once you really know what you're looking at. Right now in your range you'll probably find something along the lines of a Pearl export, CB, Tama rockstar, PDP or if you're really lucky you'll scopre a nice Mapex, Yamaha , DW or higher end Birch Pearl or Tama Kit.

It's hard to explain what to look for exactly but beginner kits are generally basswood, then next up the chain is Birch followed by Maple. just look for something in nice shape, not all busted up looking, check the heads and see if they are filled with craters from hits which may indicated you'll have to spend the money to replace all the heads. Check that the strainer on the snare drum works well and that the snares sit tight against the bottom head, make sure all the hardware is in good condition , check the stands and make sure that they adjust well and stay where you have them adjusted to.

like my instructor was saying, it' not necessarily the brand or the price of the drum but the person sitting in the throne. I good drummer can make the worst kit sound like a million dollars. prove my point here's dave grohl playing on a kiddie drum kit and it sounds pretty good [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyO7lvzfw5Q"]YouTube - Dave Grohl drumming on a kids drum set[/ame]

you really should consider lessons, you'll learn much faster, you'll learn to read and transcribe music, you'll learn proper technique and you'll be exposed to many different styles as opposed to what you would just learn on your own.

User Info Menu

Sigler Music has some solid new kits with hardware for around your price range. I'm assuming that your price range wasn't including cymbals.

If it was, then go used. $200-$300 for drums, same for cymbals.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Welcome mate, you'll be like me & find most of the members here are very welcoming & supportive.

Although we're in different countries I would recommend you source eBay & local stores for quality used gear. I have no idea on pricing where you are but I am in a not too dissimilar position & have picked up a quality Premier kit & Sabian cymbals for about what you wish to pay.

Good luck mate, you'll love it.

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumchat! If you can't find a teacher try looking for the Dvd called "Getting Started on Drums by Tommy Igoe". It covers everything from setting up your kit, tuning, basic grooves and fills.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered