Thread: need help to identify mapex snare

User Info Menu

Default need help to identify mapex snare

At a local music store, I found a used mapex snare. The salesman did not know anything about it. The size is 14x5. It is a wooden snare and is black with silver flakes. on the badge it just says mapex. they are asking $99. It is great condtion and needed some advice about getting it. I don't know if this is really a good deal.

User Info Menu

Default Re: need help to identify mapex snare

14x5 and black with silver flakes... for some reason that sounds like it's a Saturn with the series badge taken off.

Unless it's the 14x5.5 QR from the past two years... Onyx Black is the color name I think. If that's it then it should have 8 lugs (one piece for both sides) and a generic throw off/butt side.

Is the Mapex badge completely oval, or does it have corners on the top left and bottom right?
    Is there any way you can get pictures of it to help me out a little?
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

you might be lucky and itll be a pro m!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    14x5 and black with silver flakes... for some reason that sounds like it's a Saturn with the series badge taken off.

Unless it's the 14x5.5 QR from the past two years... Onyx Black is the color name I think. If that's it then it should have 8 lugs (one piece for both sides) and a generic throw off/butt side.

Is the Mapex badge completely oval, or does it have corners on the top left and bottom right?
    Is there any way you can get pictures of it to help me out a little?
    HOLA como estas QUIKSTANG2 Mi amigo Creative artistic open minded drummer artist cat within great aware-ness wisdom knowledge * I am prtty sure your RIGHT stoke with the KIT which then would be A MAPLE AND WALNUT SNRE as I own one of these and they are ROJO CALIENTE forsure * EXCELLENTE 'snares GRACIAS

User Info Menu

quickstang2 i believe you are right on the 14 x5.5 QR. I did some searching on those kits and i think that it came from one of those kits. The color, badge and hardware all match. I am not going to get it. The price is to high. I was looking at snare stands and they are about 20 dollars higher than another local music store and they wouldn't match prices. Since they are so overpriced I will check out my other local shops.

Thanks for the help!

User Info Menu

If it's a QR (hardware is the same as VX and M Birch, badge is oval w/corners but no letters in the bottom right corner) then I wouldn't pay $100 for a wrapped basswood generic sized snare either... especially since I've gotten a few Black Panthers for that price. The hardware isn't even worth it. But I'm just guessing from what you described... if you got me some pics I could be a lot more accurate. I'd hate for you to miss out on a killer snare because we are misunderstanding each others' descriptions.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47