Just thought i would make a mention about the low end models of electric kits.

I have always been against them. Never really tried them but always thought things had to be gigged on if you practiced on them. But bored, and just having drove 5 hours i sat down at mega music and had some fun for half a hour.

First i tried a simple rubber padded yamaha Think it was a DTXpress. Simple 1700$ish from the top of my head. I didnt like this one. The hi hat peddle responded weird. The cymbals triggered weird. The pads we weird and the brain sempt like it was created to seem like you were getting your moneys worth (IE cramping it full of useless sounds and having very few quality ones)

Next door i saw the lil roland. it was the little HD-1 or something simular in model. About 1300$'s Worth. I always really laughed at how stupid these things were so i started to play. It came with a 8 simple sounds. All of which were useful. And a simple brain to use, With built in metronome (That you can figure out how to turn on and off and adjust without reading the manual. It had the mesh snare (so you can just practice rudiments with sound and feeling). The toms, while small, were loose rubber which gave a more realistic skin feel than the bouncyness of the hard rubber pads. With its compact size, reasonable ability to afford one, I would contemplate buying this kit just to practice on.

Althought!

The kit doesnt allow for double kick's, which i cannot figure out if its a problem or not. While we should practice everything. And it would be a purely practice kit. But some practice beats no practice

Hope this little speel can help out some people looking into drum kits, and could see it as a good way to learn on too