Thread: tuning help plz

User Info Menu

Default tuning help plz

hi guys im having little trouble tuning my rack tom , i tune it to a nice sound then when i hit it next to my snare it sounds like i hit my snare ? i have it on a snare stand ? if u guys have any suggestions will be fantastic thank you

User Info Menu

Default Re: tuning help plz

sounds like the tom and snare are tuned to the same note .....

try experimenting with the snare pitch and wires

User Info Menu

ok yea i tryed different tensions on the wires i try tune the snare again as i like the sound of the tom, thank you

User Info Menu

I just typed a long response to your problem and my computer made it go away, lol.

Anyway, what you are experiencing is called sympathetic vibrations. As you know there is no way to completely get rid of them except for using your throw off. These vibrations can come from several sources, usually from having your toms and snare tuning similar in pitch. It might not even be the exact frequency causing the problem, it could possibly be just a harmonic of that frequency causing the problem. Snare buzz is also very evident in live situations where guitar and bass cabinets can cause sympathetic vibrations from the sheer decibels and low frequencies or harmonics attributed to these situations.

I would try to tighten your snare, or bottom head, a bit. Try to make sure it's evenly tightened and in tune with itself. You should be able to hear a difference right away, if not tighten your snare's batter head and get it in tune to itself. This should get the frequencies farther apart and the toms should be less prevalent getting into your snare. The other thing to do is slightly lower the pitch in your toms. You won't have to go very far, but you will notice a vast difference in your snare's buzz.

Finally if the above doesn't quite get it diminished to the point of your liking, there are special snare wires made by Puresound called Equalizer snares. these are 16 stand wires that are placed on a 20 wire standard. the 4 wires in the middle of the snares are missing. This center section of the snares is where most of the sympathetic vibration occur against the snare head. I've tried these wires on my Yamaha snare and they did seem to work to an extent, but they are not magical. I got better results by just lowering the pitch, very slightly, on my 10" rack tom.

Hope this helps,
    Dennis

User Info Menu

thank you so much , i no there is supposed to be some vibration from the wires but this is alot lol. thank you 4 ur input i'll have a look at it today

User Info Menu

yea you know, i have this problem too, thats for the advice dennis....im gonna play with my 10" tom now and try it out.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

yea the snare needed to be tuned higher thank you alot