Thread: Roland HD-1 or TD-4s?

User Info Menu

Default Roland HD-1 or TD-4s?

Hi folks!
    Newbie here. The only thing I have played is a practice pad. But I am thinking of getting a e-kit (I live in a townhouse). The HD-1 is $795 and the TD-4s is $995. Does anyone here have experience with either/both kits and tell me whether the $200 difference is justifiable?

Thanks!
    Ed

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roland HD-1 or TD-4s?

welcome to DC Skeets ! I have not owned either of those but have owned several others and I will highly recommend shopping for a used TD6 SXT mesh head kit $1200-$1500 this was one of the most fun kits I have owned and if you can't swing that a TD6 kit should be $600-$800

User Info Menu

hey didnt the td4's just come out for like 300?

User Info Menu

I have a TD-9 kit and thought seriously about the TD-4.

What the extra money gets you is more flexibility in adjustment and upgrade options.

If it were me, I'd get the TD-4 kit. But, you will also need a bass pedal, which comes with the HD-1, so add another $60-90.

With either kit, you'll need headphones (1/4 inch jack), or an amp, and of course a throne.

I also think the TD-4 will 'feel' a little more like an acoustic kit because of the layout (setup) options and placement of pads and cymbals.

I'm extremely happy with my kit and never feel regret at my choice. The only issue is the desire to upgrade and buy more stuff.

User Info Menu

I tried responding to your question yesterday, but for some reason this site no longer likes me.

I own a TD-9 kit. Before buying it I seriously considered the TD-4. I think the TD-4 is an excellent value for an entry level e-drum kit.

The extra money (over the price of the HD1) is for setup and expansion flexibility.

My advice is to get the TD-4.

User Info Menu

Hi Skeets.

I'd go for the TD-4 kit. The extra money buys you set up and upgrade capability that's missing in the HD-1 kit.

Nothing wrong with the HD-1, but sooner or later you'll grow out of it, and then you'll need to buy a whole new kit (a TD-20!).

I seriously considered the TD-4 before I got my TD-9 kit. It has a lot going for it, so I recommend it.

User Info Menu

i know this thread is a coupple weeks out of place but I played a td-4 today felt pretty good .. im a pretty newbie drummer about 4 months(2 if you count when I actually started learning and practicing) it seems like a good option im in the same boat noise wise ive got a great living situation but im kind of a night owl and the sister-in-law .. well I would rather not make her mad drumming at 2am.

one thing .. shop around I think the td-4s at my local big box guitar store is just under 900 ..
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

If your new to drums you cant go past the HD-1 my friend just bought one to use when he cant play his acoustic and its such a fun kit to play, you can do soo much with it and it even has a built in metranome and you can plug your IPOD straight into it soo you can cover songs or whatever aswell.

User Info Menu

I think the Hd-1 is the worst thing made my Roland ever, save your money and get a better kit. I really like the TD-9 and the DTxpress IV, both excellent kits. I say save your money. If you have to get something now, maybe look at the DTxplorer it's an ok kit, but I hate the high hat.