Thread: Guitar player problems...

User Info Menu

Question Guitar player problems...

Hi all;
    Has anyone been in this senario...
    I'm invited to play drums in a band that a good friend is forming (he's the guitar/leader).
    but while playing, the bass player and I both notice, he can't keep time and he messes up on turn arounds/ bridges etc.
    constantly rushing guitar parts.
    We Can't fire him, it's his band (haha)!
    and after all,... he is a good friend.
    I suggested playing 1/2 time slowly to learn the songs, but he says it's even harder that way.
    Any ideas ?
    (Dazed and Confused)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Guitar player problems...

We have the same problem with our guitarist so we repeat the songs for him and stop when he speeds up or slows down also we have me click sticks with a metronome when hes first learning parts.
    You can't change the past but you can always alter the future.

User Info Menu

Practice...that's why it's called that.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Encourage him to practice with a metronome on his own. This is the way to improve his own individual time. Everyone in the band should be doing this separately. Use extreme diplomacy when making these suggestions. People's egos are fragile.

User Info Menu

I had a very similar problem recently. After conspiring with my keyboard/bass player, I convinced my man that our timing was nearly perfect, and that he had to lock in with us. He takes criticism well, we are all good friends, and they're aren't any better players in our area, so after a few almost blow-ups onstage, he worked it out. He has also gotten noticeably better at soloing since then. It all depends on where you are socially.

User Info Menu

Guitarist playing out of time???????? Rhythm sections believe this is normal!!!

Get him a metronome.

User Info Menu

A metronome or drum machine for his private practice sessions is definately the way for him to improve. Trouble is going to be getting him to use it. Guitarists who are used to playing without a band often have these issues. Diplomatically tell him that he needs to work on his timing, and Give him time (and be patient) and work with him. If he gets better you're good to go. If after you give him some time (it may take months) to improve he doesn't get better you can always gracefully say "This isn't working for me, nothing personal, I just want to go in a different musical direction".
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Shoot him. There are plenty of good guitarists around. Ooops, sorry, you said he's a friend....okay, then just shoot to wound, not to kill.

Just kidding of course. But that's a tough spot to be in. I would maybe suggest he take some lessons. Other than that the metronome idea is the only other thing that pops into my head.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Maybe ask him to play closer to you, so he can get the time. If he still doesn't get it. Really lay into a crash. That should get his attention.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Practice...that's why it's called that.
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo BISH 008 SECRET SPY DRUMMER ANCIENT WISE OWL BIRD CAT creative artistic open minded drummer
    artist cat within great aware-ness wisdom knowledge * LOVE IT EXCELLENTE' AND A REAL TRUE REAL FACT within all of this very ancient
    spiritual art form of all MUSIC and TAMBORES gracias

User Info Menu

Friends being band mates can be a hard mix. If there's a problem, you got to take
    the "Friendship" out of the equation and get the music right...timing, entrances, bridges, changes, everything. You can use the "Friendship" to let everyone know where all this is coming from and then get on with the practice, baby!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

let this be a lesson to everyone.

choose your friends wisely.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

we had the same soet of problem with the bassist in our band, when he sung his timing is terrible as was his singing, we spoke to him about it and he just didn't get it, he thinks he's spot on all the time and his singing was up to stratch, needless to say when we stressed more he's no longer with us, it was in the bands best interest and we have a new bassist and a singer coming on thursday, these guys on the forum helped me when the problem first arose, listen to them they know what there talking about..

Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I am relate somewhat AOAT. I pretty much will be playing with whatever musicians are available in the church. Sometimes that means experienced players, and sometimes that means completely inexperienced players. People have dealt with me, and I've gotten better, so I try to remember that when I play with someone. The key will be whether your friend is willing to improve, or whether he thinks he's greatness waiting to happen. Good luck.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I like the replies from drummer , Bish and Norske .

And ,, if none of those work then its up to you to quit before your reputation gets tarnished .

User Info Menu

I am sorry to hear that so many of you have problems with your guitarist/bassists. On the other hand, I am happy to hear that I am not the only one with this problem. Since I have been playing for so long, I set extremely high standards for the other musicians I jam with. Unfortunately, most of the musicians in my area are younger less experienced, and almost always have problems. If they can write well, they can't keep time, if they can keep time they can't write, play lead etc. All of the older experienced musicians in my church are to busy playing in church to jam outside of church!! very frustrating.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend D. View Post
    I am sorry to hear that so many of you have problems with your guitarist/bassists. On the other hand, I am happy to hear that I am not the only one with this problem. Since I have been playing for so long, I set extremely high standards for the other musicians I jam with. Unfortunately, most of the musicians in my area are younger less experienced, and almost always have problems. If they can write well, they can't keep time, if they can keep time they can't write, play lead etc. All of the older experienced musicians in my church are to busy playing in church to jam outside of church!! very frustrating.
    Thats why you need to find a reason to start playing more forr church. Tues night youth praise service , Wed night adult praise service.........I think you see where Im going with this .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Thats why you need to find a reason to start playing more forr church. Tues night youth praise service , Wed night adult praise service.........I think you see where Im going with this .
    Yeah you're right. I tried adding 2 days of playing every week for the youth p&w team( I was already playing for the Sun. service) . After 5weaks I had to sop because it was exhausting me physically. I wanted to play more at church and for outreach ministries with the p&w but My church has me busy doing weddings and such. That is why I am involved in my own band. As much as I love being on the road and performing, nothing compares to the joy that I feel when playing on a p&w team at service.

User Info Menu

Thanks to everyone's reply, ...I know somehow we'll find a way to work it out, at least he's not in denile, (haha) he's confided in me that he has a problem, and needs to practice w/ a metronone, as I suggested to him many times. Next we'll work on his penchent for Freezing-up on stage - I suggested taking up knitting. (haha)
    Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Anda One, Anda Two View Post
    Next we'll work on his penchent for Freezing-up on stage - I suggested taking up knitting. (haha)
    Cheers.
    You have got to let us know how that works out!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Get him a JamVox. He'll realize and learn on his own.

User Info Menu

is it a friendship band or a business band? if its not about money then patience, diplomacy, practice and FUN is the way.