Thread: How to Clean Drum Heads?

User Info Menu

Default How to Clean Drum Heads?

I was gigging tonight with brushes and then I had the bright idea "hey, let's use brushes as mallets by using the outside." It worked, but left some black markings on my toms. They could be easily cleaned with a wet washcloth, but would that do anything to the drum heads? What's the best way to clean the heads without damaging the head? (The heads are white coated evan g2 heads.)
    Last edited by keysanddrums; 03-07-2009 at 09:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: How to Clean Drum Heads?

As long as you dry everything when you are done, water and friction can clean up heads with no damage. I don't think you should worry about it too much, though. You'll be replacing heads often enough for it to be a minor issue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keysanddrums View Post
    I was gigging tonight with brushes and then I had the bright idea "hey, let's use brushes as mallets by using the outside." It worked, but left some black markings on my toms. They could be easily cleaned with a wet washcloth, but would that do anything to the drum heads? What's the best way to clean the heads without damaging the head? (The heads are white coated evan g2 heads.)
    I'm sorry..and with ALL the utmost respect here, but are you SERIOUS?? -Les

User Info Menu

KandD, I'm with Shane on this one. I really wouldn't worry about it too much. First of all, I wouldn't want to do too much scrubbing on a coated head for fear of removing too much coating (just beating on the heads will eventually remove coating), and the heads weren't made to be pristine looking forever anyway. You might want to file your brushes idea away as a good one with one minor drawback.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yeah, why bother?

all te best...

User Info Menu

Everyone knows heads sound better clean. He He He

User Info Menu

The rubber coating on the brushes can be used as mallets for cymbal rolls. I'm trying to envision how you would do the same on the toms when you have the wire pull at the end of the brush. How do you get the mallet effect? Unless your brushes have a rubber ball on the end...lots of them did back in the day.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I apologize, but I am serious.
    They're brand new heads, so I was curious as to whether I could clean them or not.

If you play the drums hard enough with the wires pulled in, it produces a mallet type effect on the toms as well as that gong type effect on the cymbals.

User Info Menu

You have nothing to apologize for and it's a good question. I do know what you mean about wanting to clean the drum heads, especially if the fairly new. Notihing looks nicer than a set of those white coated tops. I have taken kleenex tissue, slightly dampened, and lightly rubbed of some of the black stick marks. After a few days of playing, however, you know the marks are going to stay. I do know what you mean about using the brushes as mallets on the toms....I caught myself doing that last night on a gig as well. I stopped as soon as I realized it because I'm concerned that I'm going to "Scrape" the head with the wire end. Also, I've seen where I have bent the wires back by doing that as well. I think a good idea would be to carry a pair of yarn mallets in the stick bag and have those ready for just this purpose. They are light, easy to use and don't take up a lot of space. Good thread!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

My wine cork mallets are the bomb!

all the best...