Thread: Mesh Pad Volume

User Info Menu

Default Mesh Pad Volume

This is my first post on DrumChat.com so hello to everyone...

I currently own a Roland kit which I bought second hand some time ago. It's got a TD-3 module and a PD-80R mesh head for the snare and the toms are rubber.

I've noticed when doing a lot of work on the snare that strokes are noticeably louder when I hit the dead centre of the snare than if I hit the drum 1/2 inch from the centre. This effect is pronounced when playing quietly. I would expect my strokes to slowly quieten as I play further from the centre of the pad, but the extent to which this happen when playing within 1 inch of the centre of the pad is quite annoying.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so do you know if there are any solutions? I tried tuning the snare but I don't really know what I'm doing and don't want to damage the skin. At the moment I just hit the pad away from the centre to avoid the effect.

I am also considering upgrading to a full mesh kit as I prefer the feel of the mesh heads and it is quieter for others in my house. Can anyone recommend pads in which this effect is lessened?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mesh Pad Volume

The center is where the Roland piezo/foan tower is located. Hitting direct center is the hot spot for your drum. I don't own a Roland module, but you should be able to adjust the gain or sensitivity of that drum via your module. Check your owners manual for these adjustments or perhaps another Roland owner will advise how to fix the problem.

I use Pintech drums and Hart also offers mesh too, but you already own a Roland mesh drum and would suggest you upgrade your existing kit with the same. Good luck. ABC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ABCgang View Post
    The center is where the Roland piezo/foan tower is located. Hitting direct center is the hot spot for your drum. I don't own a Roland module, but you should be able to adjust the gain or sensitivity of that drum via your module. Check your owners manual for these adjustments or perhaps another Roland owner will advise how to fix the problem.

I use Pintech drums and Hart also offers mesh too, but you already own a Roland mesh drum and would suggest you upgrade your existing kit with the same. Good luck. ABC
    Thanks. I'll see what I can find and let you know how it goes.

User Info Menu

what about those mesh heads that people say get all loud?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat View Post
    what about those mesh heads that people say get all loud?
    Not quite sure what you mean MortalDrumbat?

User Info Menu

I don't think the td3 module has positional sensing

User Info Menu

ive heard blastechs are as loud as a crowd

User Info Menu

Thanks for this advice ABC Gang. I hadn't previously delved into the Advanced Settings for triggers in the manual. This ended up helping me find a solution to another of my problems, where the pad was sometimes triggering twice when I only hit it once. I was quite impressed with how configurable even my little TD-3 was! Anyway, I tried adjusting the sensitivity which helped a bit but strikes right over the tower are still noticebly louder... I think I'm just going to have to live with it.

I don't think the td3 module has positional sensing
    Hmm, I'd be very interested in trying a module that does have positional sensing... I'll have to pay a visit to my local music shop.

User Info Menu

Your welcome UncleDave.

I'd like to try out the Roland positional sensing too. I've even bid on (haven't won yet) several TD-10/12 modules to see what it's all about. I've talked to several edrummers that love it and others that say it's nothing to get excited about.

Funny how opinions can vary when talking about brands/options

User Info Menu

I'd like to try out the Roland positional sensing too. I've even bid on (haven't won yet) several TD-10/12 modules to see what it's all about. I've talked to several edrummers that love it and others that say it's nothing to get excited about.
    Actually I'm tempted to do the same. I just got a bargin on two used PD-105s and a PD-125 that are all in good condition. They work fine with my TD-3 brain but I can't help thinking how good it would be to have them plugged into something a bit more sophisticated. Too bad the brains are so expensive!