Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: drum mics...

User Info Menu

Default Re: drum mics...

Quote Originally Posted by DWdrumr View Post
    Yep, that would set you up real nice.
    How do i tell how many XRL inputs a mixer has? i was looking at the Behringer XENYX 1202
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    How do i tell how many XRL inputs a mixer has? i was looking at the Behringer XENYX 1202
    The XLR input are the 3 prong input, normally black in color, not the 1/4", the one you are referring to only has 4 XLR inputs, this is the little miser I have.
    Last edited by DWdrumr; 03-11-2009 at 10:04 PM.
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DWdrumr View Post
    The XLR input are the 3 prong input, normally black in color, not the 1/4", the one you are referring to only has 4 XLR inputs, this is the little miser I have.
    and i want at least a 7 piece mic set right? so this wont work?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    and i want at least a 7 piece mic set right? so this wont work?
    If you want to run all 7 mic's, and you want to do it right, then no. If you want to try and get adapters that will turn a XLR to 1/4" that might work, but to be done correctly I recommend getting a mixer with 7 XLR inputs.

User Info Menu

I've recorded my drums with a ZOOM HD16-CD digital recorder and Audix mikes and it works really well. I have 16 tracks, can burn a cd right from the console, have mixing and editing capabilities in the console, and can run it to my computer with a USB cable. It's not the cheapest method I'm sure, but it works for me.
    Last edited by Norske; 03-12-2009 at 09:19 PM.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I am also interested in this thread. Along with the CAD pro 7 kit, what would be a good budget friendly mixer to use with that kit that would accept ipod, connect to my computer and such? I also do not have a clue about any of this stuff...

User Info Menu

Oh yea, also something that is user friendly...

what about this?

or this Behringer, they are both the same price at 299.00

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campbellj25 View Post
    Oh yea, also something that is user friendly...

what about this?

or this Behringer, they are both the same price at 299.00
    Ya got model numbers on those? They look pretty good, but I'm a novice at this.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I am too, all I see is a bunch of knobs that mean nothing to me, but they obviously have enough xlr inputs. I can read the specs all day on those and get nothing out of it. All I know is I would like to be able to make videos like DWdrumr... That's where I want to go with this.

User Info Menu

I think the Peavey looks more user/novice friendly, and I know they have always made quality equipment at good prices. I'm sure we'll get some opinions...

User Info Menu

Campbell, I don't know much about the Peavey mixer, but I do have a small Behringer mixer that is just fine. The knock on Behringer is that their quality control is lacking sometimes, but I have several Behringer products, and I have had no trouble at all. My guess is that if the price point is comparable, the mixers will be as well.

As to the knobs, just think vertically instead of across. Each vertical row of knobs relates to a "channel." Think of an XLR input, or 1/4" input as a channel. The knobs help you shape the sound. The sliders at the bottom of each channel set the level, allowing you to "mix" the level of each channel to get the overall sound that you want. To the left are usually the master sliders to set the overall volume, and various connections that allow you to send the sound where you want it to go.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Campbell, I don't know much about the Peavey mixer, but I do have a small Behringer mixer that is just fine. The knock on Behringer is that their quality control is lacking sometimes, but I have several Behringer products, and I have had no trouble at all. My guess is that if the price point is comparable, the mixers will be as well.

As to the knobs, just think vertically instead of across. Each vertical row of knobs relates to a "channel." Think of an XLR input, or 1/4" input as a channel. The knobs help you shape the sound. The sliders at the bottom of each channel set the level, allowing you to "mix" the level of each channel to get the overall sound that you want. To the left are usually the master sliders to set the overall volume, and various connections that allow you to send the sound where you want it to go.
    nice response PB. like he said, all I can add is the black dial at the top row of the peavey is the Gain [how much signal you are bringing into the strip, it should have a clip light. the blue knobs are your high mid and low control, the behringer looks like it has 4, the red knob is most likely an effects control, the orange is most likely a monitor level, and the last one at the bottom is a pan left and right for the speakers. see its simple. oh yeh the little button below that is a mute.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Looks like the Behringer offers more sound control options then, right?
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Well, that's where it gets interesting. It has plenty of control for live, but when you mix to a pc, you have the choice of how "pure" the sig going into the pc is. In other words, you can have the mixer do some stuff, like pan and effects, or control everything but level from the program on the pc you are using. Sometimes one way is better, sometimes the other, at least in my experience. Most of the time tho, it is better to get as clean of a signal as you can get into the computer and then add as needed. It is much harder to subtract reverb than add it later for instance.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Looks like the Behringer offers more sound control options then, right?
    yep for live situations it looks like it does but additional sources can always be added, to the peavey plus what charly says re the puter stuff, it all depends on what ya want to do with it mainly.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I mainly want a good clean recording for my own enjoyment, sharing with friends, and making drum vids like Kev (dwdrumr) makes.

He was right, Ya make one vid, and you wanna make more - they're like potato chips!
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

I would go with the Behringer for sure, I have actually had some experience with that exact mixer and it is great, very clean sound, lots of options, that you will like once you get familiar with the mixer, and it just offers alot more for your money. The Behringer mixer looks very close to the one I have, and this will be the one I purchase when my guitarist wants his back. My vote Behringer, let the videos commence lol.
    Last edited by DWdrumr; 03-13-2009 at 07:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool - I was playing with garageband on my MAC and for a built-in mic, it's not bad. Pics up much more than the camcorder, so expect a new vid in the next few days....
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

I read you guys talking about Audacity program for recording and mixing?? right?? I am very interested in doing some sound clips/videos myself, but I don't know a whole lot about..any of this..time to start perusing the threads!

I have access to drum mics and I have a laptop..is the Audacity program pretty user friendly?? Will an $80 Behringer mixer really do the trick??

-Les

User Info Menu

Yes Les, Audacity is pretty user friendly. It is a free download online, and you have to get a separate download as an add-on in order to convert the file to MP3, but it really isn't too bad to use. Hey, I use it if that tells you anything!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the response PB.. Now I guess I need a mixer (dedicated) and some sort of interface? I read a thread talking about a Behringer (sp) mixer for like $80..?? anyone know off hand the model #...or maybe someone could post a link to that thread/post -Les

User Info Menu

The first mixer that I bought was a Behringer Eurorack UB1202. It was somewhere around $65 when bought it, but they go for about $80 now. I has 12 inputs, but only 4 are XLR. You will also need a mic pre-amp unless you buy a powered mixer. I picked up a used Nady PRA-8 (8 channels) mic pre-amp pretty cheap, and it is working out great (it goes with a used 12 channel line mixer that I picked up cheap).

The deals are out there Les.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, newbie here :-D. I like everything I've read so far, keep it up!
    I did a recording for a kids choir at a church I attended a few years back. We had drums, bass, guitar, piano, random percussion parts, some sampled stuff, some midi, and a 50 voice kids choir. We recorded using Cubase LE and a M-audio Delta 1010 (8 imput, direct SCSI). CD, I was in the same boat you were about a year ago, trying to decide what gear to get to set up for some recording at home. I decided to wait, becuase the set up I wanted was going to cost me about $3000....better spent on my drums at that point :-D. I would highly reccomend you check out a home recording forum, homerecording.com is a really good one, and read the FAQ/newbie section. Its a good source of information on all of the different ways you can record, and not just drums, in case you want to start recording other instruments later :-D. There will be a huge difference in the sound you can get from your drums (especially when you're starting out) if you mix down to less trax than you have mics pre-computer, vs. recording every mic as a seperate track, and then effecting and mixing them post-recording. Hope thats not too confusing, and I cant wait to see the vids!

User Info Menu

Alright so I think im set with the CAD dmtp-7, or the Audix fusion-6

but will this mixer work?

Its a samson mdr 1064. Im not sure if it has phantom power, which the Audix require, and im not sure if the CAD require phantom power, and heck i dont even know what phantom power is lol
    -Steven

User Info Menu

This stuff in increasingly cornfusing to me!....-Les