Thread: Snare drum ring

User Info Menu

Default Snare drum ring

Hey, i just wondered how to get rid of snare drum ring. I like my snare but it has too much ring. When i put a piece of paper on the batter head and hit it it sounds really good, could i somehow acheieve this sound normally? I would prefer to get a less ringing sound through the actual drum tuning, not by using cloth, moon gel etc but im open to any suggestions.

------------

Advertisement

A beautiful snare drum ring for gift giving. Also makes a unique wedding ring!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare drum ring

have you tried e rings. They work well.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

I know that Bernard Purdie puts some kind of cloth or tape across his drum, but I'm pretty sure that to get the ring out of the drum you'll need to put some kind of ring or cloth on it.

User Info Menu

Ok, cheers guys. But is there a way of doing it without putting anything on the drum or drum head?

User Info Menu

Many times you can tune that ring out of it. I had some unwanted ring in one of my snares, and my instructor told me I didn't have the heads tight enough.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Not much other than getting heads with the rings on the underside. But I'm fairly new so............
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

What type of snare do you have, wood or metal? What make and type of batter and snare heads are you currently using? Are they the original snare wires?

Just a couple of questions that will help someone here better evaluate your problem.

Dennis

User Info Menu

Stand 5 ft away from your snare while somebody else plays it and while your band is playing. You wont hear the ring just the sweet sound of your snare.

User Info Menu

Try RemO's or Evans E-Rings...they are basically plastic rings that go round the edge of your drum head. If not, buy some mooooooon gel
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Stan View Post
    Hey, i just wondered how to get rid of snare drum ring. I like my snare but it has too much ring. When i put a piece of paper on the batter head and hit it it sounds really good, could i somehow acheieve this sound normally? I would prefer to get a less ringing sound through the actual drum tuning, not by using cloth, moon gel etc but im open to any suggestions.

Cheers
    If you want to get rid of the ring, and a tight dry crack, try out the PS3 head by remo. What heads are you using now?
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

With out putting dampening on top of the head (rings. moon gel, duct tape, etc.) you can play with tuning, and try to do it that way. (although I haven't tried it) I read that you can get rid of ring by deliberately untuning one of your lugs. The other option is to buy a head with the dampening built in.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
    What type of snare do you have, wood or metal? What make and type of batter and snare heads are you currently using? Are they the original snare wires?

Just a couple of questions that will help someone here better evaluate your problem.

Dennis
    I have a Mapex M birch snare drum, 14 inch. Birch (). The batter is an evans power centre reverse dot and the reso is just the mapex stock head, made by remo (it says UT.) The heads both look fairly new to me but im not sure. I think they are the original snare wires, 16 strand.

Cheers guys, i knew i could rely on the people here. Ive had plenty of good answres already

ThePloughman Guest

Wallet. Its the old school approach to snare muffling.

Where are you playing? Bedroom? Big room, small room? Depending on the room...

If you are gigging at a reasonable sized room, that ring is your friend. If you are practicing in a room the size of a closet, its probably pretty annoying.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Stand 5 ft away from your snare while somebody else plays it and while your band is playing. You wont hear the ring just the sweet sound of your snare.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Wallet. Its the old school approach to snare muffling.

Where are you playing? Bedroom? Big room, small room? Depending on the room...

If you are gigging at a reasonable sized room, that ring is your friend. If you are practicing in a room the size of a closet, its probably pretty annoying.
    good points. in amped situations, ring=tone. fear not the ring.

User Info Menu

You can certainly tame ringing to a minimum. A lot of times the bottom head is cranked up too tight. Start there by bringing it down a bit. And loosening the top head a little will help too. One lug on this head may be way higher than the rest. Tuning the bottom head lower in pitch, generally, will result in less ring. A thicker bottom head such as an ambassador will help also but may effect the "crack". Getting your own ideal snare sound will take years of trial and error, but is an essential skill a good drummer should posses.
    1971 Ludwig 3-ply Maple 7-piece shell set in Oyster Black Pearl w Supraphonic Snare
    1968 Mica-Sonic Deluxe 9-ply Luan Mahogony 4 piece jazz set in Aqua Satin Flame
    2004 Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 7-ply Phillipene Mahogony 4 piece in Nitron Marine Pearl
    Lot's of old Zildjian A's, some K's, a few Sabiens, and a few Paiste

User Info Menu

okay i think this could work for you. so take off the head and place a moon gel or duct tape on the underside of the head or do either of theses place a 13 inch e ring in the drum resting on the bottom head or scotch tape an e ring to the underside of the head you hit. btw if you buy an e ring and use it for external muffling you get the size of your drum, but if your putting it inside a drum get it one inch smaller
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

...answer it! ...sorry, I couldn't resist -Les

User Info Menu

nice les.
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    ...answer it! ...sorry, I couldn't resist -Les

They usually hang up before I can get the stinkin head off the drum.

Dennis

User Info Menu

learn the ways of the strainer.. use the 20-42 strand force, young skywalker

User Info Menu

What's wrong with ring? I love it!
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

...or you could learn to love the ring.

User Info Menu

oh.... i should have read the previous post first.

The ring is your friend.