Thread: My band is going to play our very first gig on May 1st 2009!. HAVE ANY TIPS????

User Info Menu

Default (DONT COMMENT THIS) band broke up... :(

Last edited by rsshortstack22; 03-10-2009 at 07:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: My band is going to play our very first gig on May 1st 2009!. HAVE ANY TIPS????

Quote Originally Posted by rsshortstack22 View Post
    This is also my first gig too, so i'm pretty excited!. It would REALLY help if you gave more than just drumming tips too. Equitment,sound check, GETTING PEOPLE TO COME, anyhing you can think of. It would really get my excitement down. Thnx.
    ^^^^^
    that'l be me! lol
    What's "equitment"??

Kidding

Well, the equipment portion would depend on who will be running sound for you. Is your band using your own PA system or is the venue going to run sound? That will also determine when you guys show up to set up/sound check. And be punctual!!

As far as your equipment, check everything out before you go to make sure everything is in working order. This way you won't have stands breaking on stage(true story...wasn't mine though), or anything else. Bring a spare set of heads of you have them...along with a few pairs of sticks.

Keep your sound check short, sweet and to the point. You guys want to sound good...but just play long enough to get everything dialed in. And please, don't jack around while on stage waiting for the other guys. Nothing tweaks my shorts more than drummers/guitarists are doodling around on their instruments while the sound guy is trying to get everyone else dialed in!!

As far as drumming goes, warm up before you go on stage...don't freak out, and ROCK THE HOUSE!!!!! Get plenty of rest, food, and fluids before the show.

And getting people to come...MySpace or your band website if you have one is a useful tool for sure. Post fliers around town. Calling all your friends and get them to spread the word.

Good luck with the show!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Default Re: My band is going to play our very first gig on May 1st 2009!. HAVE ANY TIPS????

What RHD said, he has everything down there...exactly the advice I would've given
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Relax !!!!!

User Info Menu

Pre-game dump
    You can't change the past but you can always alter the future.

User Info Menu

Don't melt down from the adrenalin. Channel it into the music, but don't melt down.

Listen real good. :-)

User Info Menu

During sound check, play only what your asked. Make sure to stretch, then warm up. Right before you go on take about 5 deep breaths, in through the nose and out through the nose. Relax. Don't get carried away trying new stuff. Play only what you practiced and watch the singer for starts and stops.

User Info Menu

Be courteous to the sound guy!!!! He or she can make you sound like a major act, or make you sound like a train wreck!