Thread: Tuning G2s on Tama Starclassic Birch HELP

User Info Menu

Default Tuning G2s on Tama Starclassic Birch HELP

Alright, so I recently bought my Tama Starclassic Birch. Yesterday actually. I am still doing fine tuning to the toms, but I am trying to figure out the PERFECT sound. Right now I am getting almost a plasticy sound out of it. Less of a sing, more of a 'slap' per say. I could also say the the heads don't feel 'soft', if you know what I mean.

Anyone with a Starclassic Birch/Birch Bubinga/WHATEVER kind, let me know.
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning G2s on Tama Starclassic Birch HELP

Jason,

If you're getting a slap then they are probably tuned too low (I think). They are big drums, so there might be a tendency to tune them low thinking they need a low sound. But the size alone will give you that big deep sound. I would try tuning them all up some and see if that helps. You have to remember they will tune, sound, feel, etc... much different from your Swingstars b/c they are different wood, different sizes, etc...

Not sure what you mean by "soft" in terms of the feel of the heads.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Jason,

If you're getting a slap then they are probably tuned too low (I think). They are big drums, so there might be a tendency to tune them low thinking they need a low sound. But the size alone will give you that big deep sound. I would try tuning them all up some and see if that helps. You have to remember they will tune, sound, feel, etc... much different from your Swingstars b/c they are different wood, different sizes, etc...

Not sure what you mean by "soft" in terms of the feel of the heads.
    Soft as in a less slappy feel when hitting the drum head. More soft!

And I just took the G2s off completely. Threw on the Remo Pinstripes. The set sounds a lot better!

And Jesse, I tuned the heads high and low. When I tuned them high, they were choked, I loosened em up, too ringy, then too low. =/
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

I find Evans heads sound plasticy as well. Throw some palin old coated Ambos on that kit and it will sound terrific.

User Info Menu

Ugh Ambos? I don't like a super open kit. Emperors more like it. I might pick up an Ambassador head just to see what is sounds like.

User Info Menu

hmm, another vote for remo. yay.

ok all you evans G2 lovers, im sorry.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

It just sounds to me as if the heads were just too loose. You have to get them just past the wrinkle stage and with another 1/8 to a 1/2 turn of the key to each tension rod, the drum should start to resonate. This will probably be the lowest tuning point for that particular drum.

When inspecting the head for wrinkles, always start with all tension rods approximately the same tightness. then press your index finger lightly into the center of the head and then look for the wrinkles at each tension rod. Tighten those rods in a star-like pattern till the wrinkles are gone. Just don't fully turn one rod to get the wrinkles to smooth, but work between all the rods where the winkles are located. This will insure that the head is level on the shell and the tension of each rod will be approximately the same. From hear make sure you have the same tone at each tension rod, this will get the drum in tune with itself.

You will have the maximum resonance from your heads if both the top and bottom heads are tuned to the same pitch. You'll hear this more prominently with single or double ply clear batter heads.

Dennis

User Info Menu

You never did say anything about the resos. If you are using G2 batters, then use a G clear for the reso. A thinner head on the bottom will not choke the sound of the batter. I use coated ambassadors with clear diplomats. Great sound!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

fiacovaz and audiotech took the words right out of my mouth. always always always make sure that both the reso head and batter head are tuned correctly, if they are not vibrating together, they are fighting each other, and they will choke for sure.

keep messing with them dude, both heads should vibrate together.

User Info Menu

Alright thanks guys. G1 Resos by the way! But I love the sound of my Remo Clear Pinstripes at the moment.