Thread: Boing!

User Info Menu

Default Boing!

Grrr.... I HATE that "Boing".

I'm changing the stock UT heads on my new Gretsch to clear emperors. For the life of me I couldn't get the 12" to tune. I get a boing sound in the resonance, rather than a pure tone.

I'd use the drum dial to get "equal" tension at each rod. I'd play the skin and get a boing. I'd tap by each tension rod and check by ear, but each tension rod was different by a good amount. The dial read 75 at each rod but it's obviously not.

I cant seem to get rid of that boing on the 12.

Any tips, ideas, suggestions......
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Boing!

Kevin, try tuning the resonant head to the same settings as the batter. When tuning the toms, if the resonant head is tuned differently (if I remember right, it would be slightly lower) you can get that "boing" sound. For my toms, I like my resonant heads to be tuned to the same tone as my batter. It could also be that you just are sensitive to the sound of those stock heads. I liked them, personally, but you might not. Could be just the difference in our ears. Then again, it could be that tuning them different might do the trick.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Kevin...I noticed a difference on my toms when I changed out heads a few months ago. I have always used a coated batter because of the style music I play. However, I have also used the same head as the reso...that way, I always had a "new" head available when the batter was shot. This time, I put coated Ambassadors on the batter side and clear Diplomats on the reso side. When I tuned the drums, I noticed that "Boing" on the reso side but not on the batter side. So now, what I've done was to tune each side to it's most natural pitch and then adjust the batter side to what I feel I need. I tune it somewhat low for that "Old School" Zoot Suit, gut busting deep tom - tom effect and then tune higher for when the band plays a Samba or Mambo. Not a great deal higher...enough to make a pitch distinction. I leave the reso pitched where it's at. In this way, I really get a warm and full tone from the toms that I hadn't had before. I can use brushes to tap the toms and get a nice tone from them.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Kevin, try tuning the resonant head to the same settings as the batter. When tuning the toms, if the resonant head is tuned differently (if I remember right, it would be slightly lower) you can get that "boing" sound.
    OK, That gives me a place to start. The bat and res heads sound very close. To check them after I tune them up, I just kinda hold the drum in the air and strike each head and they sound the same. The res is a nice clean tone but the bat gives me a boing.

Maybe I'll just raise the res up a smidge.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

That's what I had to do on the 16 after the drumdial, as it had it too. I used DD and then turned up 1/4 turn at a time (took 2) on the reso to get rid of the boing
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Cool, Thanks Charlie. As long as i can remember, I always had that crazy boing with "open" heads.

I later went with pinstripes and since they cut the resonance, it wasn't that noticeable.

Now I can get this baby singin'!
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Pitch bend, your heads are not in tune with themselves. Another reason I took my Drum Dial back to the store after a week. It was telling me one thing and I was hearing another.

You'll get it.

Dennis

User Info Menu

Kevin, put the drum on the carpet to mute the bottom head. It will isolate the heads from each other. Strike the batter, and remember the tone, then turn the drum over and strike the reso head to see if it is the same tone.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Kev.. You are relying too much on the drum dial.. here's what I do..
    I have been tuning my kits like this for quite some time..I stumbled across this vid on the web of a guy using the same method.
    Bag the drumdial!

http://www.yamaha.com/thehub/home.ht...7&CTID=5042001
    Once you get the drum's batter and reso heads in tune with the shell, you can tweak the pitch 1/4 turn at a time each lug (star pattern)
    Check it out!! Lemme know if this works for you..

-Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 03-11-2009 at 01:32 AM.

User Info Menu

there's an international epidemic for out of tune 12" toms

User Info Menu

Seems that way.. My 12" tom sounds fantastic!!!...as do the rest of my drums -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    there's an international epidemic for out of tune 12" toms
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Seems that way.. My 12" tom sounds fantastic!!!...as do the rest of my drums -Les
    alright, alright... wise-guys LOL!

It sounds pretty killer now. I dunno. I haven't been sleeping well so maybe I was just tired that night and just couldn't get it done. Y'all ever have one of those days?

I went downstairs yesterday and she tuned up right away. Go Figure.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Kev.. You are relying too much on the drum dial.. here's what I do..
    I have been tuning my kits like this for quite some time..I stumbled across this vid on the web of a guy using the same method.
    Bag the drumdial!

Once you get the drum's batter and reso heads in tune with the shell, you can tweak the pitch 1/4 turn at a time each lug (star pattern)

-Les
    Wow, That's a pretty cool video. I was watching the Bob Gazden one on the Evans site and he does that style on the kick, but not the toms. I like this guy's method though. Quick and easy.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Wow, That's a pretty cool video. I was watching the Bob Gazden one on the Evans site and he does that style on the kick, but not the toms. I like this guy's method though. Quick and easy.
    Have you tried it??? -Les

User Info Menu

Not yet. Family obligations kept me off the kit yesterday.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Not yet. Family obligations kept me off the kit yesterday.
    Gotta feeling your drum dial is gonna be collecting some dust.
    -Les

User Info Menu

No way - I still have the reciept. I might return it.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

No way - I still have the reciept. I might return it.
    I have one of those too. But it fell pretty short to my own ears. I didn't return it, but I should have!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

As others have said, they are just not in tune with each other. Believe it or not, some jazzers go for this sound and love the "Boing". So in your case top head was higher than bottom, so when you hit the bottom it "Boings". Tune them to the same pitch and it will have that fat tone w/no boing.
    1971 Ludwig 3-ply Maple 7-piece shell set in Oyster Black Pearl w Supraphonic Snare
    1968 Mica-Sonic Deluxe 9-ply Luan Mahogony 4 piece jazz set in Aqua Satin Flame
    2004 Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 7-ply Phillipene Mahogony 4 piece in Nitron Marine Pearl
    Lot's of old Zildjian A's, some K's, a few Sabiens, and a few Paiste

User Info Menu

OK, That gives me a place to start. The bat and res heads sound very close. To check them after I tune them up, I just kinda hold the drum in the air and strike each head and they sound the same. The res is a nice clean tone but the bat gives me a boing.

Maybe I'll just raise the res up a smidge.
    I saw a video on youtube about tuning where the instructor jams his fist into the head (loose) and you hear a crack. This is to "seat" the new head, then tune it up.
    Vansdrumming/tuning
    maybe this helps?

User Info Menu

hey let me know if you find out - im having the same isssuez!!!
    I hope the forces of evil become confussed on their way to your house - (George Carlin) r.i.p.

join me @
    http://www.myspace.com/aldostl

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Anda One, Anda Two View Post
    I saw a video on youtube about tuning where the instructor jams his fist into the head (loose) and you hear a crack. This is to "seat" the new head, then tune it up.
    Vansdrumming/tuning
    maybe this helps?

I wouldn't do that with an Evans head, but I have pressed fairly hard into a Remo head. They are mounted to the rims differently and you could destroy an Evans head with too much blunt pressure to the center of the head.

Dennis

User Info Menu

I just gave this a try on the Mapex, sounds pretty good.
    Mapex Mafia