Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I made a big no-no...

Subrick Guest

Default I think I made a big no-no...

Any other metal drummers here have probably heard of Decapitated before. Their drummer, Vitek Kieltyka, died in a bus crash in 2007. His brother announced his intent to continue the band with a new drummer. I, for some reason, sent an email of audition to him. Here's the email:

"I feel I can do what Vitek did. My name's Richard Lowell. I'm 15 (about the age Vitek was when Winds of Creation was released), I'm American, and I've been playing drums for a little over a year, yet I can go at over 220 bpm consistently when I focus. Here's a sample of my drumming.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=remJohXZLFo&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - Tech death/black metal solo[/ame]

I wish that if Vitek were still alive he could see this. No matter what, no one can truly replace Vitek. Thank you for considering my abilities, and I hope you pick the best on for the job.

-Rick Lowell"

Should I have done this. I mean, what if (by some miracle) he picks me?

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: I think I made a big no-no...

Quote Originally Posted by Subrick View Post

I wish that if Vitek were still alive he could see this. No matter what, no one can truly replace Vitek. Thank you for considering my abilities, and I hope you pick the best on for the job.

-Rick Lowell"

Should I have done this. I mean, what if (by some miracle) he picks me?

You show up bald headed and play.

Subrick Guest

Lol. But really, what if by some act of the gods of metal he asks me to come down and play with them for an audition? I would not only be crapping myself, but it's impossible to replicate the sheer greatness Vitek had.

User Info Menu

You never know what's going to happen. I hope you get an audition. But just in case, might want to make sure you can play through all his material.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

Subrick Guest

I'm starting to learn some Decapitated, starting with their classic, Spheres of Madness.

User Info Menu

Did you consider the required schooling until 16 when you sent them the tape?
    You can't change the past but you can always alter the future.

User Info Menu

Start learning all their songs. Worst case scenario you'll learn Vitek's style and incorporate what you like into your own. Best case scenario you'll get to be in an awesome band and get me backstage when you play down here. Heck, even if you get an audition and don't get the gig, it's a huge learning experience and you'll be better prepared to deal with pressure in the future. Don't be intimidated and don't doubt yourself.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

Subrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    Start learning all their songs. Worst case scenario you'll learn Vitek's style and incorporate what you like into your own. Best case scenario you'll get to be in an awesome band and get me backstage when you play down here. Heck, even if you get an audition and don't get the gig, it's a huge learning experience and you'll be better prepared to deal with pressure in the future. Don't be intimidated and don't doubt yourself.
    As I said, I'm starting to do that. Winds of Creation is on my hit list right now. I'll do all the audition songs then start learning their main set list songs. Besides, with new members come new ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetbox View Post
    Did you consider the required schooling until 16 when you sent them the tape?
    I'm turning 16 in August, which will probably be around the time Vogg van get through all the audition tapes.
    Last edited by Subrick; 03-11-2009 at 10:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Lol. But really, what if by some act of the gods of metal he asks me to come down and play with them for an audition? I would not only be crapping myself, but it's impossible to replicate the sheer greatness Vitek had.
    I suppose just practise hard at your drumming and pray to the gods of metal it all goes well!
    - Zack

Subrick Guest

Oh, I'm praying. I'm praying my non-theistic butt off!

User Info Menu

Whatever happens, what you did is pretty ballsy. I'm sure they'll appreciate your confidence, if nothing else. Who knows what'll happen? But kudos for giving it a shot anyway.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

You never know until you try. Go for it. and relax.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Hadn't you better ask your mom?

all the best..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Hadn't you better ask your mom?

all the best..
    ROFLMAO!!!! That made me laugh out loud in my cubicle....

Not to bust your chops, Subrick, but K-G does have a point.

I certainly don't want to be a wet blanket here, but you are a minor and as such, you can not sign a contract of employment yet. So if "the gods of metal" do pick you, you will need her consent for any contractual agreements required in joining a signed, touring band.
    Last edited by CycleDude; 03-12-2009 at 10:54 AM.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

BTW, the video doesn't work.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

u big party poopers. go for it kid.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

That requires a lot of testicular fortitude, but hey, that's one of the things you need to get noticed in the entertainment business. Do your best if you're asked and good luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    u big party poopers. go for it kid.
    Not a pooper at all, just letting him know what he will need should he get lucky.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Subrick, all you can do is try and if they say no, then it's not the end of the world. And getting mom on board would probably be a good idea too. I say go for it you got nothing to lose.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

Larrysperf Guest

And if you do get it you can get a nice set of Ludwigs lol Nuff Said

User Info Menu

Remember, there are only two possible outcomes for an audition. 1 - They say no, and you're no worse off than you are now, so no big deal. 2 - They say yes, and you're in for the ride of your life; very big deal. Good luck.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

Subrick Guest

Thank you all for the support and advice. I'm gonna roll with the punches and give it my best.

User Info Menu

You'll definately need your parents on board for this one. If offered an audition, you'll have the experience of meeting the members of a band whose music you admire. There will probably be a large number of applicants with a lot of playing experience, so don't get your hopes up.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the support and advice. I'm gonna roll with the punches and give it my best.
    Check out the video called "Rock star", very inspiring, and
    Good Luck - Rock-on!

User Info Menu

Subrick, I believe in YOU!! Follow your dream!!! Dreams DO come true!