Thread: HTML Tip

User Info Menu

Default HTML Tip

If you are familiar with HTML tags you don't need to read this post but if I've stated something incorrectly, please tell me so I can correct it. Thanks!!

I've noticed this a lot lately that posters are only partially getting quotes to work or display correctly. I'd like to help those that don't know how the HTML functions work. If nothing else it makes the posts easier to read. When you get to my age, you'll understand.

As with text formating, color and size and other appearance characteristics you use "tags" to perform the task. A tag is an instruction. An example would be if you want to bold something. To bold the letter A you use an opening tag [ B ].This instructs the forum mechanics to display the characteristic of bold from this starting point. To instruct the mechanics of the forum when to end the bold characteristic you use [ /B ].

So you would see [ B ] A [ /B ] as A.

The same holds true for quotes. You use an opening tag and a closing tag. What I'm seeing happen is the opening tag is being displayed along with the text. This occurs because when creating the post, the ending tag is being deleted along with whatever else is being removed from the post before posting. So what you end up seeing in the post is something like this....

[ B ]A -- that is because the ending tag was dropped somewhere.

So if you could be a bit more careful and proof the post before submitting, it would sure help make them easier to read.

Another great tool is the Preview Post button. Use it before submitting. Then you can tell if your tags got messed up.

I appreciate your help and I hope to some this information was useful. It is in no way intended to bash anyone. I'm hoping the intent comes off as helpful.

If so, no money is required unless you want to donate to Drumchat.

Thanks, everyone!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: HTML Tip

Pretty good 'shplanashun Bish!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Thank you!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

One of the most common things is to accidentally delete the '[' or the ']' of the tag which will give you the same result and is harder to spot.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    One of the most common things is to accidentally delete the '[' or the ']' of the tag which will give you the same result and is harder to spot.
    That's a very good point!! It gets collected if it's next to something when you highlight. Very good, plunger!

As a side note, anyone should still be able to edit their posts. If they find one where that has occured, they actually could go back in and rebuild the code.
    Signature here