Thread: newbie equipment forum? what do ya think?

User Info Menu

Default newbie equipment forum? what do ya think?

okay since ive been on this forum i have seen so many of the "im a newbie here, what kit/cymbals/sticks/hardware/double bass pedals/ etc... should i get?" posts and i had an idea to create a newbie forum. also i think it would be less intimidating for new members because when i first joined this forum i was a little intimidating. so this forum would gain us new members and help them out too. so what do you guys think? ( drummer please weigh in!)
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Default Re: newbie equipment forum? what do ya think?

This is an excellent idea. I'm a member on a couple of other non-drum related forums & they both have this area. It works well as it places many "newbie" related threads together, this often eliminates a duplicate threads being started.

User Info Menu

yes, exactly. there was a period of time ( about two weeks) when i think there were 10 very similar posts by different users and i was like how many times did i say the same thing? lol but anyway i think it could work

Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Since you started this thread twice, I'm going to delete the other thread. As far as a newbie, section, personally I think it's better to hit the ground running.

If we implement anything, an Introduction thread could be used as the newbie gateway.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I tend to support the idea of a newbie forum. The membership is what drives DC not the mods sole position. With that said the mods are members too and their perspectives are apprecaited. I have seen a great deal of newbie threads and a central location for all of them would unclutter several areas on the entire forum.

Good idea 777 keep the thoughts coming, we may not always get what we want but the Mods do a good job taking things under advisement, they just need a reminder that the forum belongs to the membership
    Last edited by Tazmania; 03-13-2009 at 07:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christiandrummer777 View Post
    okay since ive been on this forum i have seen so many of the "im a newbie here, what kit/cymbals/sticks/hardware/double bass pedals/ etc... should i get?" posts and i had an idea to create a newbie forum. also i think it would be less intimidating for new members because when i first joined this forum i was a little intimidating. so this forum would gain us new members and help them out too. so what do you guys think? ( drummer please weigh in!)
    We've had some requests like this in the past. We probably should try to do some kind of FAQ thread. Maybe an introduction thread too. I'll try to make this happen. Thanks for the suggestion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmania View Post
    ...they just need a reminder that the forum belongs to the membership
    With respect, the forum belongs to the owners. PB has addressed this before very elequently. We are given the priveledge to be here and use it but we do not run the place.

User Info Menu

It is obvious the owners own the board and we have the privelege to join. However, sometimes the mods do tend to get defensive something I have not seen as much on other boards but have here on occasion and rarely. So my point is that the Mods can and have provided their thoughts as members but at the same time the members tend to drive the board's developments via requests to the mods who in turn, regardless of personal preferance should review and share with the owners.

I have moded for a few forums myself, not wet behind the ears on this stuff. Any Hoo, good points and the 777 along with many others have a valid request so we are looking to you mods to come and let us kow what the owners think.

User Info Menu

Taz, the mods do try to be attentive to the things that are suggested, however you do have to understand the many of the suggestions are things that have been considered in the past, and that the forum, as it exists, is what the membership wants. Everyone here is happy with the forum, even though it might be less than "perfect," in part because we all realize that perfection is in the eyes of the beholder. Suggestions do get passed along to the administration, but not all are implemented. One of the things that we have to be careful about is that if a newbie section is set up, established members might not go there as much, other than to say hi. I've seen that in other forums, and I have felt cut off. I have never experienced that here, because I have always felt free to be a part of any discussion going on. I think this is what Bish was talking about.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Clearly understand and appreciate the response, do not agree but at least we agree and respect each other's disagrements. Had Bish posted as you just did I do not think I would have any comment. I found the post to be abrasive and it came across as an attempt to push off an idea rather then vet or explain as you did. I have been here awhile and have watched this board, compared it to others as you have done. Great place and ideas are good and yes I know not all ideas get implimented, that is called life

By the way, there is a super idea from largerhead in the rank name thread, I think the boss will go for it. Check it out. It is truly a good idea.

User Info Menu

No sweat Taz. I did see Lagerhead's suggestion, and I know the idea of new rankings is definitely supported by the administration. I posted on that thread too. I know the administration is working as fast as they can.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool

User Info Menu

Exclamation Re: newbie equipment forum? what do ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmania View Post
    Clearly understand and appreciate the response, do not agree but at least we agree and respect each other's disagrements. Had Bish posted as you just did I do not think I would have any comment. I found the post to be abrasive and it came across as an attempt to push off an idea rather then vet or explain as you did. I have been here awhile and have watched this board, compared it to others as you have done. Great place and ideas are good and yes I know not all ideas get implimented, that is called life

By the way, there is a super idea from largerhead in the rank name thread, I think the boss will go for it. Check it out. It is truly a good idea.

I guess I missed all this not being here today.

I'm sorry you took that post in that context, Taz. It clearly wasn't meant to come out that way. I figured there to be many responses to this so that was why mine was short. I only had posted my opinion and nothing more. I, in no way, have any real say in anything and had expected the mods and admins that can and do make those decisions to come here and post what they can and will do.

I, like everyone else, was just offering my idea by suggesting the Introduction thread. I thought I was just being one of the boys. My position is like what PB stated. I was that way on a guitar forum when I had first started playing guitar and was looking for information. I tended to hang with the newbs since I didn't know what most other posts were about.

After gaining more knowledge about the guitar, I tended to stay away from the newbie area. I did however frequent the Introduction forum since you could easily add to your post count welcoming new members and showing them around.

Here, I tend to "come across" a new members thread, by chance, while rummaging. I'd like to have better knowledge of when and who joins and found the Introduction thread to be the most effective. Hence, the reason for the content of my original post.

To you, Taz and any other member who was offended by my post, I'm truly sorry it was taken in any negative way.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

All is well and appology excepted. Now let's all get back to what we do best and that is talk Drums.

You have been around a great deal longer then I Bish, perhaps I did not give you the benifit of the doubt, in fact I did not and should have. You have my humble appology as well.

User Info Menu

What's there to be Intimidated by? We all know that Proggee's bite is worse than his bark and Bongo will crash on anyone with less than 12,000 posts. As for our Journeys, we can never get lost as long as we have the Wizzard to guide us and even he reports to Drummer. So, everything is cool and rojo caliente eh, Artisitic Cats and Cattresses.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

okay first off sorry bish for the double threading, it was a glitch with my phones browser. 2nd i think that, after reading a post with a good point, that if we did a newbie forum that we wouldnt always know the newbies, and the established protcol of " hey (insert drummer here) welcome to the forum and.." works well. but i also think that we should have a post under cymbals, harware and drumset forums that is recommened newbie drumset, cymbals and pedals/hardware that are stickys, with drummers permmison id like to start the thread on each of these and he could sticky it. also to the thing about the ownership of drumchat, the owners own it and make the final desicion, the mods are go betweens and we are extremly lucky and should be grateful that we get to use this great forum. personally it has made me a waaaaaaaaaaaay better muscian and not only that some of the lessons ive learned here that apply not only to drums but to life, a better person. so thank you owners,mods and fellow users for making this a great experince.