Thread: electroproofing?

User Info Menu

Question electroproofing?

i have no idea what to call this idea other than that, so.. sorry for the bad title.. anyways problem= i dont want to lose the ability to play a regular kit when i move, dont want to switch to the feel of an electronic with tiny 8-12" rubber pads, and i also wanna play it more where im at, and ive got neighbor issues. idea=instead of soundproofing and making my shed into a studio, would it be acceptable to get triggers, drum module, mesh heads or muters, cables, some headphones, and some sort of amp so i can have the option of playing without outside noise?
    get back

User Info Menu

Default Re: electroproofing?

What like converting an acoustic kit by electric pads on it? A sorta electro-acoustic kit? Ive sen it done before, i think someone on the forum converted an acoustic kit to electric (maybe 2slow?) Search the forum and you might find something. Im kinda unsure about your question though.

Maybe this would help?

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Electronic-Drums/

User Info Menu

Yes, it is possible to trigger your acoustics without permanant damage to the shells.

1. You will need a module (your brand/model choice).
    2. I use Pintech triggers, but if your handy you can create (diy) your own.
    3. Attach the trigger bar to your lug screws - you must have a equal number (ie, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12).
    4. Mesh heads (by Roland, Pintech, Hart, Percussion Plus, Pearl, Blastech, etc...).
    5. Run the trigger jack out of the bottom of the drum or if large enough, install the jack thru your vent grommet (I drilled thru my shells).
    6. Apply electrical tape on the shells edge where the mesh will sit. This will help prevent the mesh from wearing down your drums bearing edge.

Hope this helped and good luck. ABC

User Info Menu

That is a very good idea !! I play my e conversion more than my acoustic set and love it ! This is my latest it's an m birch mapex using roland td 10 module,internal triggers pearl mesh heads and roland cymbals !!

User Info Menu

2slow is doing more like what i was thinking. do you really have to run them inside your drums though? the triggs id be buying i wouldnt imagine id need to, cause the company said they needed no tape cause they clip on. btw what did you mean by instruction number 3, ABC?

User Info Menu

"3. Attach the trigger bar to your lug screws - you must have a equal number (ie, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12)."

An equal number of lugs on the drum means you can attach the internal trigger bar using the two lug screws on each side, instead of screwing into the wood shell. No permanant damage to the shell using the lug screws. ABC

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Those are external rim mounted tiggers. I tried some Pintech ones with mesh before, but I couldn't get them to trigger satisfactorily. Was told it would work, but believe they are better off with mylar drum heads. Sold them off.

User Info Menu

another thing i heard: "technically you can trigger any drumset in the world and get the same sounds out of it as long as you have mesh pads"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ABCgang View Post
    "3. Attach the trigger bar to your lug screws - you must have a equal number (ie, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12)."

An equal number of lugs on the drum means you can attach the internal trigger bar using the two lug screws on each side, instead of screwing into the wood shell. No permanant damage to the shell using the lug screws. ABC
    This brings up a good point that you could not install this on the 5 lug Gretsch toms.

Also, the reason for the mesh heads is to eliminate the acoustic volume from drums. If you are just installing triggers, that will suppliment the existing volume of the acoustic drums or add effects if you use the trigger along WITH the acoustic capability. Some nice effects can be had combining both sounds.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

i thought triggs only go on one lug? the ones in question im thinking of are ddrum pro triggers

User Info Menu

Default Ddrum Triggers

Ddrum Triggers are good for those quick acoustic to electric conversions.

I'm pretty happy with mine.

http://www.drumchat.com/showpost.php...postcount=4861

Though I got initially doubling up (some call it retriggering), in which one hit on the snare would essentially sound like a flam on the mix. Here's a video that showcases that bug:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGfK7YZNES8"]YouTube - Test Drum Track for 'Col De Turini' (Kompoz Project: 7755)[/ame]

but essentially...it came down to settings...and I was able to eliminate any doubling up:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awG1wNOhukM"]YouTube - 'Who Knows' (Kompoz Project: 1251) - Test Drum Track[/ame]

But the next think though...is trying to figure out how to get a rim click sound triggered.

My Five Cents,
    Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat View Post
    i thought triggs only go on one lug? the ones in question im thinking of are ddrum pro triggers