Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dts heck yes!

User Info Menu

Default dts heck yes!

i love these things! my whole drum tunes evenly with each stroke and in seconds! they cost about 35-44 bucks each, but oh my they really make my life easier! woo hah

User Info Menu

Default Re: dts heck yes!

How much did that cost you?
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Rev. I saw a pack online that will do 3 drums for $120.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

WOW
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

i heard about em but dont know much yet. how does it work?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

i think i will try on my snare

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

i was just looking at some myself, but apparently they dont have a size for bass drums of 22 inch diameter. you'd still have to find another way to tune those efficiently, but it sounds like a solid product. correct me if im wrong but does this device act like a set of luglocks as well? i mean theoretically could you tune them evenly into a position and hold it there as long as the device is attached?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

ThePloughman Guest

There is no gadget that can replace you learning the basic skill of your craft.

Drum Tuning Bible.............. google for it, read it, study it, and devote your soul to it.

It brings enlightenment.

Become a believer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    i was just looking at some myself, but apparently they dont have a size for bass drums of 22 inch diameter. you'd still have to find another way to tune those efficiently, but it sounds like a solid product. correct me if im wrong but does this device act like a set of luglocks as well? i mean theoretically could you tune them evenly into a position and hold it there as long as the device is attached?

I thought you already bought some and highly endorsed them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    There is no gadget that can replace you learning the basic skill of your craft.

Drum Tuning Bible.............. google for it, read it, study it, and devote your soul to it.

It brings enlightenment.

Become a believer.

Work smarter not harder. Something that makes the 'basic skill of your craft easier' only makes sense doesn't it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I thought you already bought some and highly endorsed them.
    never heard of em till recently
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmonster206 View Post
    Work smarter not harder. Something that makes the 'basic skill of your craft easier' only makes sense doesn't it?
    exactly. i wanna play not tune
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

never heard of em till recently
    Ok. MD.

User Info Menu

what does that mean
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

There are no short cuts to mastering the craft of being a Musician. There are all sorts of tools that seem to make things easier (work smarter, not harder) but, in the final analysis, everything comes from behind the Heart. There is no big secret to tuning drums...take the key and begin tightening and listen to what you are doing. Somewhere along the line, you will hear a tone that you like. That's it in a nutshell. One of the best products I have ever seen is the magnetic drum key...it won't rattle while you play. We can always make ourselves "Believe" that we can be "Better" if we can short-cut the process. Sorry, guys and gals, I've been at it way to long to know that just ain't so. Respect the Art of the Craft and dedicate yourselves to learning the Craft. It takes time and it takes patience and this makes you all the better for it.
    If you want instant gratification well, you won't be finding it here.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

So now comes the very deep question.

If I already know the craft and can tune by ear, why would something like DTS, or even a Drum Dial for that matter, be a bad thing? Is it wrong to use a guitar tuner that plugs in, rather than just tune to a tone?

I agree that knowing how to tune is important. I think that in general you should know how to tune and care for your drums as part of being a drummer. But once you are at that point, I'm not sure why something that saves time is bad. I like using the Drum Dial to get me close to what I like quickly, then I fine tune. For me it saves some time getting that initial quick tune.

All the pro drummers people talk about don't tune their own stuff, except maybe a home kit. They have techs do it. How is that different from using a Drum Dial, for example?

Just some thoughts.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

i have a lot of drums to tune, going by ear on all the lugs would result in mental retardation
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

The same concept was used over 40 years ago to tune timpani. The unit was attached to one side of the kettle drum with a cable linked into the tuning pedal. As you stepped on the pedal to tune the drum, a slide bar would indicate the pitch to which you were tuning to. It was hailed as the best of all achievments so that timpanists could tune without tapping the head so as to interfere with the music being played. It didn't take long to know that it was about as effective as a sieve was for holding water. It had been drilled into me by both my high school and college band directors and Orchestra directors to be able to rapidly tune by ear. Old habits die hard and some never will. So, I will say to those who wish to rely on something other than what they already have naturally...go ahead and enjoy. I would only caution not to get so caught up by marketing gurus and endorsements that would have you believe that you can't do it as well without their product.

BTW, Jesse...your thinking in this is very intuitive and I do appreciate the dialog going on with this thread. It does make everyone think and that's about the best thing I believe that we all can do for each other...make us THINK.
    Last edited by fiacovaz; 05-17-2009 at 12:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Frank,

I'm definitely on your side philosophically about understanding your instrument all around. I would agree that you shouldn't just use a Drum Dial, or DTS I guess, to tune your drums and think it's the be all to end all. I'm one of those who likes to know how everything works, etc...

As you said, some will use technology to tune for them, and that is their choice. But I definitely think they are missing out on something. Having played so long, but not changed drums much (or heads for that matter LOL), those who have read my posts over the last few months know that I have rekindled the joy I get from my old Tama's. Taking them apart, cleaning them, learning about new head designs, different woods, etc.., changing my set up, have completely removed the idea of replacing them.

Now, about also getting a maple kit.......
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I think it's a cool idea, but your drum can still be out of tune if all the tension rods aren't exactly where they need to be before you tighten the DTS.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

it seems like it would eliminate the need for cross tuning to evenly tune. i dunno im gonna work it by ear for now, it seems to be workin if i put in the time
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    There are no short cuts to mastering the craft of being a Musician. There are all sorts of tools that seem to make things easier (work smarter, not harder) but, in the final analysis, everything comes from behind the Heart. There is no big secret to tuning drums...take the key and begin tightening and listen to what you are doing. Somewhere along the line, you will hear a tone that you like. That's it in a nutshell. One of the best products I have ever seen is the magnetic drum key...it won't rattle while you play. We can always make ourselves "Believe" that we can be "Better" if we can short-cut the process. Sorry, guys and gals, I've been at it way to long to know that just ain't so. Respect the Art of the Craft and dedicate yourselves to learning the Craft. It takes time and it takes patience and this makes you all the better for it.
    If you want instant gratification well, you won't be finding it here.
    Im 55 and still learning and thats why I love drumming so much. My first teacher was very good as he said you cant play them if you cant tune them

User Info Menu

Amen, Larry.

User Info Menu

it seems like it would eliminate the need for cross tuning to evenly tune.
    Kinda... If the tension rods aren't calibrated (for lack of a better term) when the DTS is installed then it can still be out of tune. All the DTS does is pull evenly based off of where the tension rods are initially placed, so if one or two are off then it'll still be out of tune. Granted it gets them close, I'm a perfectionist and I can't live with close. Now if you can make some fine adjustments after you get it where you want it, then that's cool. I don't know if you can do that though. I do find this to be much more useful than the tension watch.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

what if you dont loosen the rods until they all come off, put them on but dont tighten, and let the dts tighten them? wouldnt that be the surest way of making sure they are all even before beginning?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments