Ok, I am going to come straight to you. I have never played the drums before, and really dont expect to be amazing.

With that said, Im a 17 year old kid living in Connecticut, which has a pretty big underground music scene. Always been a fan of drumming, yet never really had the time or the patience to learn. I want that to change, but I am really oblivious when it comes to most things.

So, I have some questions. Hopefully you guys can help me out, as I really need it.

First, I need to buy a drum set.

I understand that there are variations, at that if I buy new, its going to be more expensive than if I buy used. I've searched the Craigslist in my area to find some good deals, but the problem is I dont know what is good for a beginner and isnt. I want to spend around $500-$600, and I would really like a complete set. I dont want a snare to start off and then upgrade, I really want to start with the entire thing. If I could get some suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

I really dont want to take lessons either, I just want to learn at my own pace in my own time. If anybody knows of any good websites for tips, or you have some tips of your own, I'd really appreciate that as well.

And, if you have any advice for an upcoming drummer, either good or bad, id love to hear it.

Thanks