Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dr. Gonzo Gretsch Shell Interior Project...

User Info Menu

Default The Dr. Gonzo Gretsch Shell Interior Project...

As has been discussed in the Gretsch forum, I'm engaging in finishing the raw interiors of my Catalina Maples with Formby's Tung Oil Finish. I promised to provide some images of my progress as I commit to this formidable task.

First of all, I'd like to note that after removing the hardware, I was left a little dazzled by the ragged drilling of the holes for the screws. After a couple of nice maple splinters, I managed to get most of the big chunks whittled down. Although I was reluctant to take it too far for fear of leaving big ditches in the wood radiating from the holes.

After sanding with 150 grit, then a round with 180, I was left with this as the shell of the 10" tom:

Rather raw and unspectacular piece of wood (for the the interior, that is).
    After one coat of the Formby's Tung Oil Finish (which is not 100% real tung oil), I was left with this:

I'm typing this as I allow the shell to dry before disassembling another. I'll allow 24 hours to pass before I apply the second coat to the shell. At which point I'll post more progress pics.

Mahalo,
    Dr. Gonzo
    Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 03-16-2009 at 06:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Dr. Gonzo Gretsch Shell Interior Project...

wow...I can actually see nothing in this thread...

Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

What the bugger??? It was here a few minutes ago.

Weird...

User Info Menu

you may have to be granted access by an administrator,,sit tight -Les

User Info Menu

Well, sometimes you need to have the photos approved... You aren't the first new member this has happened to.. it's all good. -Les

User Info Menu

Ahh. there they are..
    Yeah the hole drilling leaves alittle to be desired. I have seen alot worse.
    One of the drawbacks of mass production using robotic technology.

-Les

User Info Menu

Looks like a cool project and I'm sure they'll look great with a finished interior.

I'm a bit surprised by the hole drilling as well. But like Les said, perils of mass production. I'll be interested to see if my son's new Tama's are similar.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

The 12" tom was much better about the holes. Also, the 12" shows much better grain than the 10".

Behold. Before one coat:

and after one coat of the Formby's Tung Oil Finish:

Dr. G.

User Info Menu

Oh yeah...that's what I'm talkin' bout!

User Info Menu

sweet! lookin' good Dr. -Les

User Info Menu

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Snare, anyone?

Before:

and after:

I believe this one is the last one for tonight. Tomorrow I do second coats and get started on the big dogs.

Good night, fellow skinsmen,
    Dr. Gonzo

User Info Menu

Looking good Dr. G!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Some final thoughts and observations for tonight before I turn in. In each shell, I've noticed a marked difference in basic shell tone before and after the first coat of oil. I've tapped each shell with my fingers after I've stripped them, and then after they've dried for a while (like just now). I can tell that the tone seems "tighter", for lack of a better word, after the sanding and the oil treatment.

The 150 grit has removed a fair amount of the wood around the interiors. They're nowhere near as "fuzzy" looking as they were. The bearing edges were a little wonky before I sanded them a little. I was careful not to take much off, but just to dress the edges a bit. I have a marble top coffee table, and I've laid each one on it and put a flashlight inside. I noticed some minute gaps before sanding, so I marked and paid attention to those areas. I have a nice, flat surface seal now. Very little light at all escapes.

The oil finish definitely penetrates the wood evenly. After about 30 minutes, the color mellows considerably, and a really nice satiny gloss sets in. I'm thinking the remaining coats are going to really have a nice even build, and the wood grain will take on a rich character.

So is it the extra sanding attention, or the finish itself that's giving these shells the tone I'm hearing? I have no way of making a true comparison, as these drums were never played before I started this project.

Later,
    ~G~

User Info Menu

Looks good
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

I love how it brings out the wood grain. I did all 9 of my Rockstar shells at the same time, but I used 0000 steel wool instead of sanding... which is almost nothing. It's the tung oil that changes the tonal qualities for sure.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Again, my reasoning for finishing my shell interiors was first a protective measure. The fact that they now look beautiful is only icing on the cake!
    Nice work, Dr. G! -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post

So is it the extra sanding attention, or the finish itself that's giving these shells the tone I'm hearing? I have no way of making a true comparison, as these drums were never played before I started this project.

Later,
    ~G~
    The tung oil or poly coat as I used will effectively seal the porosity of the wood, causing the shell to reflect sound as opposed to absorbing it. -Les

User Info Menu

Well, I'm back at it again today. I have the 14x14, the 16x16, and the 22x18 kick left to coat. I slung the second coats on the ones I did yesterday, and after they dry a little, I'll take a shot and post it. It definitely made a difference. Much more of a golden luster.

Off break now,
    ~G~

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    The tung oil or poly coat as I used will effectively seal the porosity of the wood, causing the shell to reflect sound as opposed to absorbing it. -Les
    And is that a good thing? I haven't touched any of my shell interiors.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I was wondering the same thing as Bish. My Ludwigs came with whitewashed interiors so I never did anything else to them.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

What I was wondering was, how do you decide on how many coats to give the interior?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    What I was wondering was, how do you decide on how many coats to give the interior?
    I'm drawing the line at 3 coats on these Cat Maples. Mainly because it's an interior surface, and secondly, that's about all the tung oil finish I have left.

I've heard of people that are refinishing furniture that put 10 coats of tung oil on. I think that's a little overkill. I suppose it depends on how much gloss, or waterproofing one wants or needs.

I'm a bit like Les, though. My kit is gonna be going everywhere with my band, and the protection is one of the key reasons I'm doing this. There's an old saying about the weather here in Kentucky. It goes; "If you don't like the weather in Kentucky, just stick around about five minutes, and it'll change."

The gorgeous look of the hand-rubbed grain is a huge plus however, and is going to be sweet to look at rain or shine.

Dr. Gonzo

User Info Menu

Wow, lookin good Dr. G! I can't wait to see the rest of em!
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    And is that a good thing? I haven't touched any of my shell interiors.
    Depends on how you look at it. The one thing that will be gained, and IMO the most important is the extra measure of protection sealing your shell interior will provide. With higher zoot kits like some, if not all of the kits you own, a satin finish seal coat was no doubt already applied at the factory. I know Pearl does this DW I am unsure.

A non porous surface, (think tile bathroom) will reflect sound vibrations (singing baritone in the shower) as opposed to say, a room with rough hewn cedar walls that are pourous and will absorb sound vibration thus creating a 'warm' sound

I loved the way my kit (Cat maples) sounded before I embarked on this project. I hope by sealing my shell interiors, I haven't chilled down the fat warm mapley tones of these shells.. I have yet to really lay into them. I will be taking them to the band house soon and giving the M Birch a rest.

-Les