Thread: Three Camps on Marching Snare

User Info Menu

Default Three Camps on Marching Snare

Does anyone know who wrote "Three Camps"? I have to find sheet music for it because I like it and may consider using it for my audition

User Info Menu

Default Re: Three Camps on Marching Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stokes View Post
    Does anyone know who wrote "Three Camps"? I have to find sheet music for it because I like it and may consider using it for my audition
    It has been arranged by many different people. I'm not sure who the original composer is.

User Info Menu

cool stuff stokes, one of my faves, there are many versions, you can get very creative with this piece and there are lots of free resources on the web for it.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

The version we have was Arranged by John S. Pratt, it is the version I've heard done most often. As far as the original author it just says "Traditional" whoever he was!!
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    The version we have was Arranged by John S. Pratt, it is the version I've heard done most often. As far as the original author it just says "Traditional" whoever he was!!
    Ya Pratt is a good one. I have the one by Guy Gauthreaux. There really isn't a composer. It's a piece that his been around for a while.

User Info Menu

"Three Camps" is named as such because of its three variations: Camp 1 in Rolls; Camp 2 in Paradiddles and Camp 3 in Ratamacues. The precision of each variation is that the accented notes are a single stroke with the entire solo sounding as a continuous Role, Paradiddle or Ratamacue exercise. "Three Camps" is from the Revolutionary War period and is not an easy study. It takes a lot of practice to play each variation to its proper speed. It is meant to sound like: 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4. The accents are on counts 1 2 3 and the unaccented single stroke is on count 4 except in measure 3. You might also take a look for "The Downfall Of Paris"...another Rudimental snare drum solo from the same period...a bit easier to play too.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

like Frank said its a tough one to make it smooth and even sounding with the different sticking variations. Ive used parts of it many times in a solo. move it around the kit ........... lavely.
    Obviously, not on your side drum audition though Stokes, sry If I hacked your thread.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    like Frank said its a tough one to make it smooth and even sounding with the different sticking variations. Ive used parts of it many times in a solo. move it around the kit ........... lavely.
    Obviously, not on your side drum audition though Stokes, sry If I hacked your thread.
    No u didnt hack and thx because u reminded me that i forgot to say that im playin drumset for the audition too!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Three Camps on Marching Snare

I Actually Did A Drum Clinic In Late 80's Wif "Da Chief"(William Ludwig II) And He Opened Da Clinic Wif
    "3 Camps",,,,,Fantastic As He Related Da History Of Da Piece....What An Educator ,,,,,I Have A 10" "Ludwig Standard Paiste Cymbal Made In Germany" That He Signed For Me As He Educated Me Again With The Fact That Paiste
    Made Only 2000 Of Those Cymbals For The 1968 Ludwig Standard Drum Line,,,,I Have Owned 21 Of Those Cymbals
    In My Career.....He Adorns My Drumroom Wall Even As We Speak....Thxs Chief!!!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!