Thread: Remo Fiberskyns and a 2nd look at the Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz

User Info Menu

Default Remo Fiberskyns and a 2nd look at the Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz

After watching Steve Smith's Drum Legacy DVD 20 or so times, I had to try a Fiberskyn head on my snare. It's a 14x5 Gretsch Catalina Club (Mahogany) that came with the set. Not the best snare I own, but very good nonetheless. After playing with it for a half an hour, I couldn't get a sound I liked. Tuned low, it had a thud sound and not enough snare response. I tuned it incrementally higher until that went away, and it immediately sounded choked off. Mildly disapointing, but I believe Steve Smith played an Ocheltree metal snare that probably cost $1K+, so I wasn't expecting any miracles. I still want to try the head on my Weckl and Acrolite snares when I get some time.

I had heard some good reviews about Fiberskyns on the toms, so I put the head on my 14x14 floor tom. It previously had a G1 coated. I am not exaggerating when I say it has twice the body that it did before. The thud is still present, but alongside a nice pure tone. I immediately ordered a 12" and got the same results. It almost feels like I am playing on top of the head and not into the drum like some other heads I have used. Off a drum, when you tap these heads, they resonate by themselves like Remo's mondo heads, so I believe they are adding something to the sound that other heads don't.

More than half my band's catalog is pre-1980, so this sound goes very well with what we play. I do love the Weckl jazz fusion processed studio sound that I get from 2 ply Evans heads, but not in this setting. I am also using studio rings on the toms.

<rant on>
    One popular view right now is that leaving the toms open enhances projection and tone and that any overtones aren't heard from a distance, which is true. I don't see how that holds up when mics are 3" away from the top head and the overtones get picked up and amplified. Don't trust that a sound guy in a bar or club will fix this for you. I use the rings and if I need more projection, we turn the drums up. If a gig is small enough that I need to play without mics, I don't need the extra projection. I'm in a jam band that is all about having fun, and if I think my drums sound like crap, it's hard to have fun.
    </rant off>

So anyway...
    If you are looking for a big retro sound with little hassle, try some Fiberskyn batters. Plus, they look all retro-cool.

If you are looking for a sweet 4 piece small kit, look at the Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz.

The snare currently sounds pretty good tuned medium-low with a G1 coated batter and no-label 3-4 mil resonant head. The bass (18x14) is the gem of the kit. I played the same size Yamaha Recording Custom bass drum as my only one for 7 or 8 years and tried 10 or so head combos. I eventually settled on an EQ1 batter and Firberskyn reso with no hole and nothing in the drum. With a mic 2 or 3 inches from the front head it sounded great. When you go to a concert and the bass drum feels like it's hitting you in the chest, it's a good sound. If it feels like it's hitting you in the stomach or lower, not so good. The Gretsch is definitely a chest-thumper. It came shipped with an EQ1 style Gretsch label batter, but the extra ring is about 2 1/2" wide. The front head is the same, but coated. I left it as-is, medium low tension around, no holes or muffling and it behaves nicely with or without sound support.

Cool look as well with a Fiberskyn front. This is the old RC kit.

Last weekend after a gig I had my singer beat around on the kit while I walked around and listened. I liked what I heard all around, it's well worth $650ish.

That's it for now.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Remo Fiberskyns and a 2nd look at the Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz

I love both. great review.
    1971 Ludwig 3-ply Maple 7-piece shell set in Oyster Black Pearl w Supraphonic Snare
    1968 Mica-Sonic Deluxe 9-ply Luan Mahogony 4 piece jazz set in Aqua Satin Flame
    2004 Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 7-ply Phillipene Mahogony 4 piece in Nitron Marine Pearl
    Lot's of old Zildjian A's, some K's, a few Sabiens, and a few Paiste

User Info Menu

Nice review
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Those fiberskins are cool, for sure. I have a fiberskin batter on my Vista and it's a cool head. I love how they look against the green sparkle.

You, my friend, have great taste in drums.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

My next head change will be to put a Fibyre skin on the front of my bass drum...
    should look real good on the vintage Ludwigs. More than 20 years ago, I used the Fiber skin on my snare drum (Supraphonic). I didn't mind the sound but I didn't like the fact that the head "flaked" because of the all the brush work I was doing at the time. I noticed the same thing on the Steve Smith Legacy DVD that you did and was just a surprised.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

fiberskyn's make any set look real expensive

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit and great review!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Thanks all. I am definitely going to keep the Cats out and my Yamahas in the bags until I absolutely have to switch. I went on a medium sized gig this last weekend. The bar could hold around 300 people, maybe 160 were in attendance (Ohio State basketball on TV didn't help). I had them miced up with a SM57 on the snare, rack, and floor tom and a Shure Beta 52 on the bass drum. This was sent through a system of around 1200 watts to 2 12x2 plus horn cabinets. No crossover, no bass cab. This is one advantage of an 18" bass - it sounds great even without a bass cab. My keyboard players comment was "wow, those sound amazing and better than your other set" (Beech Customs). I agree. I'm really happy they sound so good but dissapointed that my pro-level set sounds so bad. Another gentelman in attandance who will be producing a DVD for us soon also agreed with this evaluation. I did use my Dave Weckl maple snare instead of the matching Cat snare.

I am completely sold on Fiberskyns for the toms and hope to God they make my Beech Customs sound this good.

User Info Menu

New guy here - I also have a Catalina Jazz kit, just got it last week. Copper sparkle, but it really looks more like champagne. Love this kit! I'm thinking of getting Fiberskyns for the toms now that I read your review. Excellent pics btw, and that green is gorgeous. Congrats on a sweet kit

-Doug

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat dougb256!

I saw a used Gretsch Catalina Jazz kit in White Marine Pearl for $400 this week, and it took all my willpower not to run right over and buy it!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

nice review shaneroney, i was wondering about those particular heads. They look great too!
    ~Pearl, Zildjian, Hammerax, Remo, Vic Firth, LP, Pulse~

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

It's unbelievable how bad I want that kit.