Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cymbal cutting.

User Info Menu

Default Re: cymbal cutting.

found an old fleetwood mac vid with a repaired ride cymbal which I took a still from...

fleetwood mac cymbal repair.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    found an old fleetwood mac vid with a repaired ride cymbal which I took a still from...

fleetwood mac cymbal repair.jpg
    That's very cool! Thanks for posting the screenshot! I'd figure it would of ended up in a pile of other cracked cymbals he had laying around.

User Info Menu

I paid to have a cymbal plasma cut with the edges smoothed. Worked wonders unit it cracked again on the curve. Hurts thinking about it. It was a nice cymbal.

User Info Menu

Dang it, Just noticed my 17" K Hybrid has a similar crack in it, actually a tad bigger...aaaarrrrgggghhhhh. I think I know when I cracked it and it is my own fault. damn in 8 years of drumming I have never cracked a cymbal, I buy my expensive dream cymbals and within 3 years 2 of them cracked?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

One time I tried welding a crack lol Definitely did not work.

I have several cymbals I want to experiment with. I keep telling myself I'll get to them but never do.
    I'll have to get some out and give it a try.

User Info Menu

I read this and other threads on broken cymbals and wonder how the hell did I go from my 1st set of Zildjian cymbals in 1961 up to now and never break a cymbal, and all my crashes are medium to thin.

Exactly how hard do people hit them?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I read this and other threads on broken cymbals and wonder how the hell did I go from my 1st set of Zildjian cymbals in 1961 up to now and never break a cymbal, and all my crashes are medium to thin.

Exactly how hard do people hit them?
    I hit like a Gorilla beating his banana

But it depends what I'm playing. But Rick... I doubt in 1961 thru now you've been in any metal bands lol \m/

In Jazz and light and Rock I don't swing or play with the aggression I do in my metal music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I hit like a Gorilla beating his banana

But it depends what I'm playing. But Rick... I doubt in 1961 thru now you've been in any metal bands lol \m/

In Jazz and light and Rock I don't swing or play with the aggression I do in my metal music.
    While it's true that I haven't played in any "metal" bands, there have been numerous times over the years where I've taken solo's and hit my cymbals pretty hard with the butt end of the stick.

User Info Menu

Well I was thinking about how I ruined my first cymbal.. a 20" Zildjian..back in my beginning daze as a drumer I could only afford 1 cymbal..so I got this one..and used it as a ride and crash..so I was hitting it hard at times..it all starts with a small crack..then as somone told me..I drilled a hole at the top of the crack to hopefully stop the cracks continued rise up.did not work. Another mistake made by me then was to chuck it out...did not know that it could of been cut down to use as a splash...but of course back in the late sixites..I never heard of a splash.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Dang it, Just noticed my 17" K Hybrid has a similar crack in it, actually a tad bigger...aaaarrrrgggghhhhh. I think I know when I cracked it and it is my own fault. damn in 8 years of drumming I have never cracked a cymbal, I buy my expensive dream cymbals and within 3 years 2 of them cracked?
    It looks like the one you ground away came out nice. Just do it again on the other cymbal.
    I have a lot of experience doing that. Not cracking my own cymbals but fixing cracked ones.
    I like using the cutoff wheel on the die grinder like you had pictured. I wouldn't bother with a carbide burr.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 11-14-2017 at 09:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Well that only last a little over a year..ughhh noticed during last gig both my K hybrids are cracked again and right at the repair point so I guess I will try to sell em. Like to get $100 for both of them, and if not I may try the Dream $1 per inch program. Guess I need to keep my cymbal hitting in check a little more. On the positive side I get to try out my Stagg DH's tomorrow night and if they sound as good at a gig as they do on my practice kit then I may just buy more of those which are much much cheaper.
    20180720_162522.jpg
    20180720_162529.jpg
    20180720_162433.jpg
    20180720_162441.jpg
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I’m surprised they cracked again. They looked like good repair jobs. Hope you can get decent money for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Beautiful cymbals. Have you looked into having them professionally cut down?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham