Thread: Old Drums vs. New Drums

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Old Drums vs. New Drums

I am getting back into drumming after more than 35 years off. In 1970 I stopped playing after about 15 years of pro weekend gigs . THe drums are original Slingerland (Radio King 5 1/2 X14 snare, 14X22 bass, 9X13 tom and Zildjian cymbals etc) and with new heads are still great.

This was a great set for transporting for two or three gigs a weekend but for my individual playing now , I need more . I want to add to it with more toms and cymbals but trying to find matching toms on Ebay or other places is probably way too expensive if not impossible. I am thinking of just buying some good new or used quality toms and stands of a "now" brand but have a few questions:

Does anyone know how my drums (top end then) compare to the drums being made today (better? worse? or how different) and which current brand might have the best match in sound to the Slingerlands. Playing by myself the finish color is unimportant.

If there are other key things to consider when adding newer drums to my set I am all ears as well. Thanks for any thoughts.

PapaG

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat, PapaG......drumming technology has come a LONG way since the 60s, my friend....today's top kits are absolutely incredible...Pearl's Master Series, Tama Starclassics, Ayotte, and (my personal favorite, and what I use)...Drum Workshop (DW)....I could probably tell you just about anything you would want to know about DW Drums, but they are a custom shop, and very expensive....as far as adding "new" drums to your classic kit, you will have a difficult time finding something to match perfectly, but the question is, if you are just playing for yourself and by yourself, does that really matter? Add-on toms with proper head selection could be tuned to complement your current set-up very nicely, I think....Today's kits are designed and manufactured more like a "complete instrument" than in days of yore...my DWs, for example, the shells are timbre-matched, in perfect thirds chromatically, with each tom resonating at a specific note, so a DW kit is actually an "instrument" and not just pots and pans....during manufacture, bearing edges are held to within .003-inch tolerances, flat and square with the body of the shell, and checked on a precision surface plate (and that's just the tip of the iceberg)....but, back to your question...Slingerland still makes drums...they are owned by Gibson now (the guitar manufacturer)....here is a link to their website....

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Slingerland%20Drums/

Again, welcome to DrumChat...there are a lot of knowledgeable, friendly people here, feel free to ask anything you like....and welcome back to drumming!!
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

ppl try to leave drumming but there always dragged back in

its a well known fact actually
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Old Drums vs New Drums

Welcome aboard, PapaG! (or should that be "welcome back?"?)

I do not know how today's Gibson/Slingerlands compare to your Radio Kings, but I know a few guys in the St. Louis area who would kill to get their hands on your set ... as BigTallG points out, the top-line models--particularly the ones he mentioned--are all fine sets. Might want to test-play them and use your ears...

and amp, you are absolutely right, man...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Hey PapaG, glad to see your getting back into playing and welcome to the forum!

I don't really know much about vintage kits, but I can offer one piece of advice: Go to your local music stores and find out who the vintage drum collectors in your area are. If the local collectors don't have the parts you're looking for, chances are they know another collector who does. I know a couple people that have been able to add to their kits with EXACT matches to what they had by going through the collectors' network. If all your looking for is a tom or 2, a little footwork and word of mouth should get you those for a decent price. Most collectors that I know are looking for, or are trying to build, complete kits and almost always have extra toms gathering dust in the corner.

Good luck and happy hunting!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

jarhead Guest

welcome...uh...back.first off how much would you want to spend?if not much,then add a few toms and get some cymbals...BUT...if you got a little money in da bank,you could get a new set...like a pearl masters series or as btg mentioned,DW.if you want a large set that dont cost much,get somethin like a mapex.but,its whatever you want.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the site PapaG. You sound like me. I was away for 17 years and am just now getting back into it. So far everyone has given you good advise in my opinion. So far everyone has been mentioning the high end kits. If you are thinking of a new set, the middle range sets are very affordable today. You can get a very nice set without spending four to fifteen thousand for the high end sets that everyone has been talking about. If you have that kind of money then you cant go wrong with them. Good luck with whatever you decide. I would love to see a pic of your kit.

User Info Menu

Thanks to all. I appreciate the welcome and the support.

As I start to understand value and cost I may just keep the vintage Slingerlands as is and buy a new more complete set somewhere in the midrange $. I will move the cymbals and misc stuff between the sets.

I have already improved things with a new set of Zildjian Hi-hats, pearl pedal and a soft throne. What a difference!

I bought some DVD's which gave me more than enough to shoot for in new grooves and solo ideas. Steve Smith's second Disc in his 2 disc set is remarkable in that it takes drumming through the very early period then through my time (1958 to early 70's) and then into contemporary drumming.
    Real interesting to follow as I can see where my proficiency follows this progression and then drops off a cliff as Smith gets beyond the mid 70's.
    I am fascinated by the bass patterns in some of the jazz and hip hop stuff now, I will have to work hard to get this stuff "inside" so it comes out naturally.
    I think I know how Rip Van Winkle felt. By the way what is a high hat clutch?

I will try to take a pic of the kit and include at some point for anyone interested. Thanks again.

PapaG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PapaG
    By the way what is a high hat clutch?
    It's a devise that lets you drop the top hat closed and keeps it there. It's activated by a little lever that you pop with your stick.

Hey, if you're just playing at home, Remo Roto Toms are an inexpensive way to go.

User Info Menu

Thanks for a quick answer....I'll check into the Remo Roto toms.
    I think the playing at home may get old after I feel like I have gotten to where I can get by myself. I know from experience that the good creative stuff only comes when in synch with other musicians especially a great bass player.

Thanks again.
    PapaG

User Info Menu

heh sorry for the late welcome..but welcome to drumchat and welcome back...metal drummer uses vintage slingerlands so you might wanna talk to him when ever hes online...he might know a few sites that fix up older kits...oh well..hope that helps later man
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Slingerland are supost to be really good Drums.I have personally never played a Set of Slingerlands but I have heard they are really good...

User Info Menu

Thanks Chico.
    I'll check with metal drummer. I'd be interested in his perspective on the sound of vintage ('58 to '61 ) drums compared to todays better drums.

I need to get very lucky to find a few toms of a similar vintage. There are vintage drum websites but it is very rare that they show separate toms for sale.
    PapaG

User Info Menu

I would think that Vintage Drums would be quite expensive...

User Info Menu

welcome back into drumming and to the forum.
    you could prolly get a real nice kit for the price of those old slingerlands, hell prolly just for the snare alone. the vintage market has EXPLODED in the last 10 years. if i were you i would keep the radio kings and buy a new intermediate level kit, many of wich are quite nice these days. i think the absolute best bang for the buck in a non-pro drum kit is the gretsch catalina maple or birch kits. you can score a 5 pc for 500-600 bucks. and they sound really really good.

User Info Menu

There goes Funky on those Gretsch Catalinas again....lol...JK. I actually have been looking at them. That is one of the ones I am considering.

User Info Menu

Welcome back to the "dark side" (as the guitarists would say). I do have a set of Slingerlands, but mine are from the mid '80's. It even has concert toms (which I believe are pretty rare these days). There are 7 pics of my kit in the "show us your drums", thread of the "drum set" section. It's on page 2, about 2/3rds down. Let me know what you think. (I also have a set of Remo Roto-toms , so you'll see them in the pics too).
    Last edited by METAL DRUMMER; 01-04-2007 at 02:57 PM.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

You might want to keep that Slingerland kit as is & get a modern kit also. The biggest difference between vintage drums & new stuff is the hardware is MUCH better
    The new Gibson - Slingerlands are nice but WAY overpriced. For American made drums Ludwig gives the best bang for your buck. I use DW bass drum pedals & High hat & GMS cymbal stands. DW pedals are hard to beat. I use the 9000 series. They aren"t cheap but feel good & are built like tanks.

Dave H.