Thread: Tuning Congas & Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Tuning Congas & Bongos

I have seen 2 different methods used for tuning these drums.

Bongos seem universally to be tuned using a clockwise or counterclockwise motion from lug to adjacent lug. Most sources say to turn the lugs about 1/2 turn each time till you have tuned all of the lugs equally and continue till you reach the sound that you want.

Congas however vary in the method that is recommended. I just bought a new set of Meinl Marathon congas in moving up from a low end model that I had and have some concerns about which of these methods is correct.

One recommended method is to tune the lugs in a star pattern across the head of the drum. This makes sense to me if you turn each one the same. However, 1 source said that this type of tuning will make the drum out of round.

The other method is the same as for bongos. Using the circular pattern.

I rub my drum heads with hand lotion regularly to keep them from drying out. What method do you guys use?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning Congas & Bongos

Hello envirodiver, The star or cross pattern is only for synthetic heads and wheels . The counter clockwise pattern is for heads made from real skin or "rawhide" actually I even used the counter clockwise pattern on my Remo heads with no problems. First: use lube on the threads! Get a starting point, on Lp's its the handle or the name tag works too. Half turns are good, as you get closer to the pitch go with 1/4 turn on new drums. On the Quinto I like mine real tight for louder more crisper slaps but on a new drum I would stop as soon as I hear the drum shell start making the cracking noises. This in normal on new drums. I'd play for a while then creep up to the pitch I want with 1/8 turns. I like to focus on the distants between the rim and the top of the head now and then to make sure its even all around and check the length of the threads to be the same. Enjoy your new drums and show pics if you can.
    Hope this helps.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info, that makes sense. There is a lot of contradictory info out there on that. I'm going to start tuning them up now, I like my quinto tuned pretty high too.
    Last edited by envirodiver; 03-18-2009 at 11:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Yep, circular tuning for congas.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Tuning Congas & Bongos

One addition to the clockwise vs. counterclockwise tuning pattern, envirodiver...it sounds almost glaringly obvious, but tighten and/or loosen each lug the same amount (1/2 turn, 1/4 turn) each time around the rim. If you don't, you could risk knocking the rim out-of-round and/or splitting yur head...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    One addition to the clockwise vs. counterclockwise tuning pattern, envirodiver...it sounds almost glaringly obvious, but tighten and/or loosen each lug the same amount (1/2 turn, 1/4 turn) each time around the rim. If you don't, you could risk knocking the rim out-of-round and/or splitting yur head...

Thanks I put hand lotion on the heads for a couple of days to ensure they had not dryed out before I started tuning them, then tuned a little at a time for a couple of more days, now they sound great. I have them just the way that I want.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll post some pics here soon.

User Info Menu

I mentioned this before, envirodiver, but what I use on my skins sounds a bit bizarre! It's a product called Corona Horse Ointment (which is also used in hospitals for humans--in a different package!--to prevent bedsores!). You'll find it at pet and animal supply stores...it does an excellent job on keepin the skins smooth and supple...and the leftovers do a great job of keepin' your hands smooth, too!

It doesn't take a lot to do it either!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

I mentioned this before, envirodiver, but what I use on my skins sounds a bit bizarre! It's a product called Corona Horse Ointment (which is also used in hospitals for humans--in a different package!--to prevent bedsores!). You'll find it at pet and animal supply stores...it does an excellent job on keepin the skins smooth and supple...and the leftovers do a great job of keepin' your hands smooth, too!

Corona Horse Ointment? Wow, Bongobro I never heard of that, that's cool. I'm trying something new right now, Olive oil! I removed the head and coated the inside. I'm letting it sit for a few days then when I replace it I'll rub some on the surface. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.
    L4C

User Info Menu

I guess I am a traditionalist, I like to use Shea Butter. A little bit of it goes a long way and is good on heads, shells, and your hands. It smells a bit funky, but not bad. I bought an 8 oz jar of it and it has lasted me for years

I am always a bit leery of some hand lotions since I dunno what other chemicals might be in the mix that may cause problems.
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Must admit shea butter smells better than horse ointment ! Seriously, if it's good enough to rub on your skin--judging from all the new soaps, creams and lotions whose packages read 'NOW WITH SHEA BUTTER ADDED!", I'd have no problem usin' that on my skins, either.

I would steer clear of anything with water as the first or second ingredient--water dries out skin of any type...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by midgard View Post
    I guess I am a traditionalist, I like to use Shea Butter. A little bit of it goes a long way and is good on heads, shells, and your hands. It smells a bit funky, but not bad. I bought an 8 oz jar of it and it has lasted me for years

I am always a bit leery of some hand lotions since I dunno what other chemicals might be in the mix that may cause problems.
    Where do get this Shea Butter, is it readily available in most stores?

User Info Menu

I prefeer tuning using the star method.

The tuning method I like what most drum set players use for tuning thier Toms and Snare.

You first get a rough tuning that is favorable to your taste and I normally do this with equal turns on each lug.

Then I put my hand thumb to 4 fingers depending on the size of the head (smaller less fingers and larger more fingers).

I tap lightly on the head with my tuning wrench near each lug with the head dampened by my other hand. (Normally there will be a difference between some of the lugs on the skin) I tune the lugs to get the tapping tone to match each other. Afterwards, I final tune with equal aditonal tightening or loostening full or partial turns. I repeat this testing with taping on the dampened head until the tuning at the lugs match and the final tuning of the head has a tone that is pleasing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Yep, circular tuning for congas.
    Even circular tunning on congas, can warp the crown if not visibly checked to be even betwwe top of drum & the crown. Harmonic tuning...is when you tap the tuning points & hear the differences in tension & tone at each point. This is how you fine tune & focus the note. If the head is not carefully stretched on the skin wire when wet...it will dry with dead spots & others will sound higher tuned...even though the head is flat level across the drum edge on top. If you tune & favor the dead spots to sound in tune w/ the other points, you may be over compensating which will bend a crown. You have to be aware of these issues & find the happt medium. Thats why Congas need strong warp resistant hard wares.

User Info Menu

Cool, I might try that. We also get this stuff made from sheep's lanolin and coconut oil called "Conga Juice", it's from New Zealand, naturally, with all the sheep they have over there!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8