Thread: New Snare Head

User Info Menu

Default New Snare Head

I was wondering what you guys reccomend for a new snare drum head. My new band is playing a lot different styles and much more variety to my old band, and the Evans Genera HD Dry is a bit too dry and loud for the style of music I play. I was wondering what is a good powerful but a bit more tuneful snare
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Snare Head

Coated Ambo

User Info Menu

A lot of the sound originates from the type (wood or metal), size, heads and tuning.

I use Evans Power Center Reverse Dot heads on my maple and bubinga snares and an EC batter head for my stainless snare in most circumstances. Sometime I might throw on a G1 coated for a batter if I need more sensitivity or find I'm using a lot of brushes in the music I'm playing. This works for me after many years of experimenting, it may not work for you.

I can see how an HD head would sound too dry. Another thing is that heads can have a small contributing factor on the loudness of a snare, but stick control will have a major impact.

Dennis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
    A lot of the sound originates from the type (wood or metal), size, heads and tuning.

I use Evans Power Center Reverse Dot heads on my maple and bubinga snares and an EC batter head for my stainless snare in most circumstances. Sometime I might throw on a G1 coated for a batter if I need more sensitivity or find I'm using a lot of brushes in the music I'm playing. This works for me after many years of experimenting, it may not work for you.

I can see how an HD head would sound too dry. Another thing is that heads can have a small contributing factor on the loudness of a snare, but stick control will have a major impact.

Dennis
    Thanks Dennis some very helpful advice. I'm considering my choices and will probably purchase a new head at the weekend, keeping my HD Dry on my spare snare drum for the heavier songs my band need to practice/record
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Coated Ambo
    +1 on the coated Ambassador. Actually any of the single ply coateds like Evans G1 or Aquarian Texture Coated are good. Great definition and versatility.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

Coated Ambassador seems to be the best option...although I did it the hard way and bought an Emperor X then spent a few days playing with it and getting help...and with extreme tuning actually came out really well But it took a lot of effort...so I'd say the Ambo
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

*Update*

I am no longer looking for a new head. I was really unhappy with the way my snare sounded (And coincidently my toms too) but one of my friends who plays drums came over and played on my Luddies. This is a tip, stand back and listen from in front of the drums. The snare and toms sounded amazingly good! 'Cos what you hear from infront of the drums is most of the time not what other people hear out in front, and the Genera HD Dry sounds great at the minute
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Evans G1.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.