Thread: Tom tuning...

User Info Menu

Default Tom tuning...

I need some help... My toms sound like well you know.

My floor tom is to rattle and just sounds bad, and my other two don't have good sound at all. I have Aquarian clear classics on the top and some coated remo on the bottom.

Any suggestions?!

I have a gig on saturday and I'm tuning up tomorrow so..

HELP!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom tuning...

Although you can use just about any head anywhere, with questionable results, if your Aquarian heads are single ply, I would just switch tops with the bottoms and give that a try. Use the coated as the batter heads and start tuning low just above wrinkle state by holding your index finger at the center of your heads and slowly turn the tension rod at each lug where you see a wrinkle. This will get you in the ballpark. From here it's just a matter of a quarter to half a turn till your drums start to resonate.

This is just the Reader's Digest version, supper is calling.

Dennis
    Last edited by audiotech; 03-19-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Larrysperf Guest

with tama swingstars get some hydraulic heads and they will sound a lot better Nuff Said

User Info Menu

Fred, look for a part that might be loose on the floor tom. Hold it up to your ear and shake it a bit while you're turning it. You might find the culprit.

Try some Remo emporers or pinstripes on the toms. I think you'll like them.

Good luck on your gig! - RELAX AND ENJOY!

User Info Menu

Fred, I agree that I would get the coated heads off as the reso heads, and get a single ply head there. I would also consider tuning the toms in thirds (three steps apart, like the first 2 notes in "Here comes the bride..." I like the musicality that I get when the toms are in thirds. Rolls decend well, and when you hit any 2 toms together, they will harmonize. I also prefer having my resonant heads, and my batter heads tuned to the same pitch in order to keep the purity of the tone. Just thoughts for you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Fred, I agree that I would get the coated heads off as the reso heads, and get a single ply head there. I would also consider tuning the toms in thirds (three steps apart, like the first 2 notes in "Here comes the bride..." I like the musicality that I get when the toms are in thirds. Roll decend well, and when you hit any 2 toms together, they will harmonize. I also prefer having my resonant heads, and my batter heads tuned to the same pitch in order to keep the purity of the tone. Just thoughts for you.
    Well said PB

User Info Menu

Thanks guys!
    Just tuned one up, sounds much better after I switched the head. I think my problem was I was tighting them to much and Drummer... I will have fun at that gig! Thanks!

Thanks all!

User Info Menu

Yup, you can choke it up real quick by over tightening.

For your band's hard rock sound, you can tune two ways. keep the reso and batter heads at the same pitch for the best resonance. You can also have the reso tighter than the batter for more attack.

Do not have the reso looser than the batter or you'll get a wierd "boing" to the toms, almost like a whammy bar on a drum. That's cool in some jazz apps but it's a sound that I, as a rocker, struggled to get rid of for a long time untill I learned more tuning techniques from the cats here at DC.

Knock 'em dead at the gig, Bro!
    Last edited by CycleDude; 03-20-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Oops, typo.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Yup, you can choke it up real quick by over tightening.

For your band's hard rock sound, you can tune two ways. keep the reso and batter heads at the same pitch for the best resonance. You can also have the reso tighter than the batter for more attack.

Do not have the batter looser than the reso or you'll get a wierd "boing" to the toms, almost like a whammy bar on a drum. That's cool in some jazz apps but it's a sound that I, as a rocker, struggled to get rid of for a long time untill I learned more tuning techniques from thae cats here at DC.

Knock 'em dead at the gig, Bro!
    Now wait a minute...unless I'm losing my mind....(no comments from the peanut gallery)

Your first paragraph says..."You can also have the reso tighter than the batter for more attack."

And in the next paragraph you state..."Do not have the batter looser than the reso or you'll get a wierd "boing" to the toms, almost like a whammy bar on a drum."

What's the difference?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Whoops! Typo. I corrected the original post...

keep the reso and batter heads at the same pitch for the best resonance.

You can also have the reso tighter than the batter for more attack.

Do not have the reso looser than the batter or you'll get a wierd "boing" to the toms, almost like a whammy bar on a drum.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Thank you, my Gretsch friend!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Oh no, thank you. I wouldn't want to screw Fred up for his big gig.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Thanks Cycle!

I'll try that!

I can't wait for the gig, I'll get some videos and pictures up when I can!

-Fred

User Info Menu

Hey PB, not wanting to be rude...but "here comes the bride" is actually a fourth. "A doe, a deer" (from the sound of music) is a major third.

User Info Menu

On the other hand, I think that tuning the drums a fourth apart as opposed to a major third gives a nicer, more musical spread.

User Info Menu

hey just wanted to wish you good luck on your gig, i hope you get your tuning situation figured out though
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
    Although you can use just about any head anywhere, with questionable results, if your Aquarian heads are single ply, I would just switch tops with the bottoms and give that a try. Use the coated as the batter heads and start tuning low just above wrinkle state by holding your index finger at the center of your heads and slowly turn the tension rod at each lug where you see a wrinkle. This will get you in the ballpark. From here it's just a matter of a quarter to half a turn till your drums start to resonate.

This is just the Reader's Digest version, supper is calling.

Dennis
    i would do the same coated on the top and aquarian for reso

that what i have for reso

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

if you have a double on reso and a single on batter, just flip the drum over
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments