Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum Restoration

User Info Menu

Default Drum Restoration

Ok so as some of you may have noticed in the bearing edges thread - i'm looking to fix up a pretty beat up old export. I'm gonn a do some homework as far as finding out exactly what series it is, what shells they'll be etc... but I need some advice form those who know about this sort of thing.

A quick inspection the other night didn't show any rust on the hoops or lugs/rods etc... but they were quite dinted and banged up. So i'm thinking these are probably best if i just replace them with new ones. Any other ideas here would be great.

The main thing I am concerened about is the toms and kick. the shells are pretty badly beaten up in some spots, I would love to be able to get them looking as new (and preferrably sounding that way too) but unsure if you use fillers etc... what effetc this would have, what sort to use etc...

As of rthe finish, I was reading about painting them - which apparently is doable - is this an easier option that putting on a new wrap, or would re-wrapping them be easier. If so, any advice on how to get and do wraps would be great.

What I'm hoping is ot have a beautiful, somewhat custom and upgraded 6 pc export at the end of this, that will sound the way i want, at a lower cost than just buying a whole new kit. So lastly, if you think I'm wasting my time - let me know.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Restoration

Crazy, I can't help much here, other than to say that RHD recently wrapped a snare after deciding that he wasn't happy with the lacquering job that his did. The wrap job came out beautiful, so I would guess that wrapping a drum would be easier than lacquering a drum.

Here's his thread: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...78.html?t=9478
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

rmandelbaum would be the go to guy for restorations.

As for painting as opposed to a wrap...Paint will require shell prep as well as a decent place to do the painting...Wraps are just "apply and cut to fit" so that aspect would seem to be a lot quicker and less messy.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Wrapping is quite an easy job compared to lacquering
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

search on jammin sam, watch the videos, I would go for the wrap. It take a lost of work to get a pro level paint job. I am not saying you cant to it but again a lot of work. On the other hand of drum refinishing is something you thing you will enjoy then I would sat and export kit is a great place to start. It all depends on your interests.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Well, I'm have to be honest, I have a friend who is a painter, as in pro level stuff airbrushing and stuff, so I'm leaning towards paint as the option with his help obviously.

He's shown me some stuff which would look absolutely awesome, so I think that's the direction I'm heading in.

Got the kit the other night, I'll upload some pics soon so you guys can see how it's starting off. Now that I've had the chance to inspect it properly, the hoops are all pock marked kinda like they've been effected by something, I'm not sure what causes this to happen. I'm thinking I'll upgrade them to die-cast hoops, just deciding on a finish (chrome, satin chrome or black chrome) and then moving forward from there if I keep the current lugs and tension rods, or replace them with a different style.

1st steps 1st - strip the whole thing back to bare wood.

User Info Menu

This is gonna be fun man!

Thanks for inviting us along!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

I have done 3 of these beater kit restos with great results. It truly is alot of fun!..oh yeah, and my wife loved the sanding dust too!

-Les

User Info Menu

Cool man! I can't wait to see the progress!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

If you have that level of help then I would go for. I would just be sure to learn along the way from your friends expertise.

I am doing something similar myself. I have shot Nitro Lacquer but have never shot any kind of current high end finish. I have a friend that shoots custom cars. I am going to shoot my TAMA restoration in his shop with him mentoring me. I can't wait to get in there and get going.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

1As promised, 1st pics

1st pic is the kit as it' got stacked in my room

2nd pic is just after I finished pulling all the lugs and things off the toms - kick got done just after this - man it took a while.

User Info Menu

Those look like they are in pretty good shape Crazy!! That should make the job a little easier! Can't wait to see more progress!

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Ok - all wraps have been removed and I now have bare shellls with some glue residue on them.

RHD - your right - they're not in TOO bad shape, but the camera doesn't pick up what the eye does. Especially the pock marks i mentioned on all the chrome. Then ther eis the scratches and dents all over the wrap - thankfully nothing got through to the wood itself though, so that's good.

Anyone got any idea how to tell what wood I'm dealing with here? I've managed to estyablish that over the 15 odd years they made exports, Pearl used everything from maple and birch, to poplar, phillipine mahagony which has some other name I don't remember and then other various random wood types. I have no idea what the year of manufacture is of these, so I'm kinda stumped.

I'll upload some more pics later this week of them all stripped back - refer everyone to this thread since it's gonna be cool to watch the progression to awesomeness over the comming weeks/months (preferrably weeks) plus I want as much input as possible from my friends here ta DC. All tips and advice are welcome

User Info Menu

I dont have any experience with re-finishing drums, but from re-finishing furnitureand building cabinets, I can tell you the two biggest problems with painting are going to be dust from sanding and a dust-free enviroment to paint and let them dry. But if you have a buddy with a paint shop you have that taken care of :-D. I'd say go for the paint and if it doesnt turn out you can always wrap them later. One other option for the hoops would be powder coating, that should offer you a lot more color choices as well.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat EnderWiggin!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks PB, glad to be here, you guys are awesome

User Info Menu

Welcome Ender! Kick off your shoes and stay awhile.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    RHD - your right - they're not in TOO bad shape, but the camera doesn't pick up what the eye does. Especially the pock marks i mentioned on all the chrome. Then ther eis the scratches and dents all over the wrap - thankfully nothing got through to the wood itself though, so that's good.
    I'm sure the camera makes it look better than they are...for the moment anyways!

So, have you decided on which die cast hoops to go with? I have been able to find diecast in chrome, and black...but if you can find some in satin please let me know!

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

OH, great thread, plunger man. I'm keeping an eye on this thread

Also, Welcome to DrumChat, Ender.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Oooh, I LOVE watching this step by step stuff!! Craz, are you set on chrome hoops? I only ask because I think if I ever did refinish a kit I would love to try putting on wood hoops. That's just me though. I love the look of wood hoops but I've never played on drums with them.

And Ender, Welcome to Drum Chat!!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Plungerman, How did you make out with the bearing edges. Did you even have to do anything to them? Please keep us posted on your project. I once did the same thing to a 7 piece Ludwig set. It was a lot of work but they turned out awesome. John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Oooh, I LOVE watching this step by step stuff!! Craz, are you set on chrome hoops? I only ask because I think if I ever did refinish a kit I would love to try putting on wood hoops. That's just me though. I love the look of wood hoops but I've never played on drums with them.

And Ender, Welcome to Drum Chat!!
    Norske...I've played a Yamaha maple snare with wood hoops. Fantastic!!
    If you're into jazz, the wood hoops are tremendous. You get a terrific range of tuning and the cross stick Crack is unbelieveable.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Norske...I've played a Yamaha maple snare with wood hoops. Fantastic!!
    If you're into jazz, the wood hoops are tremendous. You get a terrific range of tuning and the cross stick Crack is unbelieveable.
    Isn't cross sticking a bit harsh on a wood rim?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

The hoops on my Elvin J. snare are wood...hard as rock. No worries hurting them at all

User Info Menu

Not according to the guys whose snare drums with wood hoops I've played.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg