Thread: Superkick II or Emad?

User Info Menu

Default Superkick II or Emad?

Title says it all.

Which one do you prefer and what is your style of music?

I'm a hard rock kinda guy. I've never owned either.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Superkick II or Emad?

I would think you'd like one of these for being a hard rock player. I put on the Super kick I a couple of weeks ago and am getting used to it. It's not as resonant as I had been used to but it has a Punch that I have been wanting.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I have an EMAD2 with an Evans EQ3 reso (which I just put on) and the kick sounds great. A lot of power with good resonance. At first I have the EQ3 fairly loose and the kick as a canon!!! I cranked it down a little, and it muted a little more, which fit my style of music better.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I'd put my vote in for the EMAD2 but they're both good options. I play mostly harder types of rock too. Whichever you get I'm sure it could be tuned to the sound you're looking for.

User Info Menu

EMAD all the way for me. Works great for me, sounds brilliant. Especially if you get a Evans EQ3 or EQ4 resonant too. I've tried the (Remo) Powerstroke 3, Powersonic, Pinstripe and Powestroke 4 all on bass and this beats all of them
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

The Aquarian, and I play classic rock and blues. The SK II with the ported Aquarian Regulator Reso head is a combination that cannot be beat. Just my two shekels.
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

They both sound good (and similar), but choose the Aquarian if you prefer lower, looser tuning as the Evans just won't go there. Also, the EMAD doesn't travel well. The cheap plastic ring that retains the foam ring WILL eventually crack - leaving the foam to flop around.

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

I love my emad. Never heard the super kick 2 but only have heard good things.

User Info Menu

Super Kick II for me.

User Info Menu

Generally speaking..Aquarian SKll is what I reach for..
    I ordered an Attack thin skin 3 for my kick..just to experiment. At $25 online, I thought what the hay. I like the 2ply durability..but I am looking for a single ply sound. A two ply head is a tad to stifling IMO. I like my drums to resonate wide open sans the higher frequency ring. Aquarian makes a similar head with their power thin series, however they are kinda
    hard to come by and a bit pricey..I am hoping for the best with the Attack thin skin..

Here's a description of the head off of a web retailers site..

Attack 2-ply Thin Skin 3 drumheads combine two layers of film that are each one-third thinner than Attack's single-ply heads. The result is a head that plays like a single ply in terms of feel and response, but offers the tonal characteristics and improved durability of a 2-ply model. 22" diameter.

The replacement heads also offer all of Attack's other outstanding features. They're available in clear or coated versions. They're held in steel hoops, rather than aluminum, for extra strength and rigidity. And they're pressed, rather than glued into those hoops, so they can't pull out

If this head does what it claims..I may be looking at a complete changeover..

Stay tuned for a review thread.

-Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 03-21-2009 at 09:53 PM.

User Info Menu

ive played them both. emad gave me a wide variety of tone options, i never broke the foam holder like most people report happening. its given me a good sound and is perfect for the style i play for, plus helps control bigger diameter size bass drums as well, which is a welcome plus. as for the aquarian, well, it felt like id covered by bass drum with a neoprene rubber practice pad, it was dead sounding and kinda hard to record. i suppose you could go either way, just take into account your drums natural sound and its desire to express a certain sound, and buy a head that will either let it do that, or balance it out more.

User Info Menu

The Emad ring trays are pretty fragile. Especially if you are a gigging drummer.

-Les

User Info Menu

CD-
    Went with SK II several years ago and never looked anywhere else. Real nice soundin head and it works great for anything from AC DC to ZZ Top. I don't think you'd be disappointed. .02
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumrbychoice View Post
    CD-
    Went with SK II several years ago and never looked anywhere else. Real nice soundin head and it works great for anything from AC DC to ZZ Top. I don't think you'd be disappointed. .02
    Good for AC/DC? Dear god no!

User Info Menu

"Good for AC/DC? Dear god no!"
    Yup, Real good sounding head! Ought to work just fine for any good ol' rock...
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

SKII: same feelings as has been stated above. Whether you are gigging, recording or just hammering away the SKII will do the trick.

It requires no muffling and will let the drum do its thing. I have used them on Maple, Bubinga and Birch and they take on the drum characteristics. Between my TAMAs and Pearls the head sounds completely different on both shells but is good on either.

The EMAD just seemed to have too much overtonal ring and nothing I did would give me the desired results like the SKII.

And over time, the EMAD foam basket DOES crack and vibrate. That's when you break out the duct tape.
    Signature here

Larrysperf Guest

Cant really add any more other than I have tryed all 3 top heads and like the Aquarion superkick11 the best for what I was looking for, Emad would be my second pick and remo powersonic my next. Nuff said

User Info Menu

I'm definately an emad fan, i've used it for about 3 years now, i like the three options they give you, you can choose not to have foam in the ring, a thinner foam ring, or a thicker foam ring. For live performances i usually use the thicker foam ring, for recording i recommend the thinner one. i play hard rock.
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

Not sure which one to purchase, but I'm leaning toward the Super. I play all styles.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

I have the EMAD, but I can't imagine you'd go wrong with the Aquarian head. My guess it's subtle differences between brands.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I got the Catalina Maple Fusion kit a couple weeks ago and put on the new Evans GMAD head. My band can't get over how good the kick sounds. It's single ply but a thicker single ply and I've been told that the foam ring holder has been improved in how it is attached to the head to alleviate any prior issues.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Superkick II or Emad?

Love Da Emad,,,,B O O M !!!!!!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I have Onyx Emad batter head and a ported Onyx reso head right now on my pearls and it shakes the walls with no pillow or anything inside the shell. I love it, as far as my other kit, it has a SK II and an aquarian non ported reso head. It sounds good for that shell, I am tempted to switch them out for the fun of it to really see the difference, if I don't sell the PDP's soon, but right now I am very happy with the emad.