Thread: Newbie

User Info Menu

Default Newbie

Hey guys, Im new to the forum. Just wanted to say hello. My name is Rick and I play the congas and I'm looking for my first pair of bongos to learn how to play also. I played congas when I was young (15 yrs old) but I never did again till recently that I became a born again Christian and I now play in my church band. I have a pair of Pearl Congas. I hope to learn from you guys as much as I can.

Rick.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Newbie

Welcome Rick. You have found your way in more ways than one.

Truly, this is a great forum. Glad to have you here.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Weclome and I am sure you will enjoy DC. Great members and lots of information to share. Enjoy the forum.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Conga2Praise, and feel free to ask any questions. This forum enjoys sharing information and helping each other.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks. Im also looking for a 2nd pair of congas. Im tired of bringing the congas home from church and back again. I need a pair for the house but I cant spend alot of $$$$. Looking to go cheap. What do you recommend?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Conga2Praise View Post
    Thanks. Im also looking for a 2nd pair of congas. Im tired of bringing the congas home from church and back again. I need a pair for the house but I cant spend alot of $$$$. Looking to go cheap. What do you recommend?
    craigslist.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
    craigslist.
    Ive been on it 24/7.
    Yesterday I missed a great deal by half an hour. Some lady had a pair of GP wood congas with stand and matching bongos...all for $190.00 Brand new.I was on my way to see them and she called me that they were just bought

User Info Menu

I would go to the lady's house anyway and start throwing eggs. You deserve to be treated better than that.

Hey welcome to Drum Chat C2P!

User Info Menu

Welcome. Nice avatar!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Don't give up C2P. Keep your eyes open, check eBay, and check as many retailers as you can, because deals are definitely out there.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Newbie

Hey guys, Im new to the forum. Just wanted to say hello. My name is Rick and I play the congas and I'm looking for my first pair of bongos to learn how to play also. I played congas when I was young (15 yrs old) but I never did again till recently that I became a born again Christian and I now play in my church band. I have a pair of Pearl Congas. I hope to learn from you guys as much as I can.

Rick.
    Well, Rick, as a skin-slapper in a church guitar ensemble for many years, I'm glad to see another brother conga player in our ranks...and you'll find a lot of hand drummers, including yours truly, who'll share what we can to help you. By the way, I dig your avatar--are you playin' the congas in that shot?

For your question on the bongos--the hand techniques are slightly different (more fingertip action) from playin' the congas, but it sounds to me as though you'll have little trouble adapting to bongos. Might want to look for a good instructional video on hand drumming (check drumbum.com or your local music store for that).

Are you playin' your congas seated or standing? As you may be able to see in my av, I play seated, but I use a bongo stand to raise the bongos a little above my congas (in fact, I'll show you my setup from the "driver's seat" below). Either way, having the bongos on the stand is much easier on your knees and back than playin' the bongos between your knees!)

Been there and done that, bro'! Would recommend Craigslist, but if you do business with one drum shop or music store, the manager may be able to help you score a good deal. I play CP congas at both home and church, and I have a used Pancho Sanchez Remo tumba at church, and they've done me well through the years. (If you haven't, Rick, get bags for your good congas!)

I wrote reviews on the LP Aspire and Toca Synergy congas a while back (look for them in the Drum Review section), and they're good reasonably-priced "new" choices. Any LP conga is good if the price is reasonable, but I also like the Remo congas if you can find them. I have a church-drummng buddy who loves playin' his fiberglass Tocas, but I prefer wooden congas for their sound quality, and his Tocas have always sounded a bit "ringy" to me. Needless to say listen to them and go with what works best for you...

Keep us posted, Rick, and welcome to one "bongo brother" from another!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Welcome !! I am a Christian drummer also there are many here at drumchat !

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum C2P......good luckk in your search , something will turn up soon .

User Info Menu

I recommend visiting your local drum shop(s) regularly. I just stumbled in last weekend and found a deal on a new set of Meinl Marathon conga, and quinto. I paid about $500 less than MSRP and $200 less than the best price that I had found on-line. They were a discontinued color that they said had been on the floor a while and they wanted them out of the shop. I obliged them.

I knew it was a good deal from spending a considerable amount of time on-line looking at prices, etc. to see what everything cost.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    I dig your avatar--are you playin' the congas in that shot?
    No thats not me BB. I google imaged that picture and thought it was cool.
    Are you playin' your congas seated or standing?
    I play standing right now.
    Keep us posted, Rick, and welcome to one "bongo brother" from another!
    Thanks again BB. Im now looking at a pair of LP Matadors for $200.00 that look decent. Lets see. If they are meant for me then I will get them.

User Info Menu

Im now looking at a pair of LP Matadors for $200.00 that look decent. Lets see. If they are meant for me then I will get them.
    Let us know how it works out, and when you do get your new congas, be sure and post some pics, so we can all tell you how great they look (we love looking at each other's drums).

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC!! You will have a great time here!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Let us know how it works out, and when you do get your new congas, be sure and post some pics, so we can all tell you how great they look (we love looking at each other's drums).
    Only thing better, C2P, would be playin' each other's drums!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Ive been on it 24/7.
    Yesterday I missed a great deal by half an hour. Some lady had a pair of GP wood congas with stand and matching bongos...all for $190.00 Brand new.I was on my way to see them and she called me that they were just bought
    Be glad you missed that one, cuz it wasn't a deal... Maybe a decent price, but not a decent conga.

Thanks again BB. Im now looking at a pair of LP Matadors for $200.00 that look decent. Lets see. If they are meant for me then I will get them.
    Now thats a deal! Matadors are by far the best bang for the buck in the conga world, and $200 for a pair is a great price.

BTW Welcome to the board C2P, nice to have some more skin slappers around here.

User Info Menu

Just passing along my own welcome and letting you know what a refreshing place this is. I've met nothing but considerate and helpful people here. It's a wonderful resource.