Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Drum Sticks

BigTallG,how many drum sticks have you broken because i've broken 3 pairs

------------------------
    Update: 10-5-11
    Drum Bum added bulk drumsticks, (also called brick drumsticks), to their inventory.

User Info Menu

well,I'll see yall later, I'm gonna hit the hay

User Info Menu

Even though this thread isn't directed at me I'm going to go ahead and say I've broken countless pairs.

EDIT: METAL FOR LIFE.
    Last edited by Roger; 12-29-2006 at 07:35 AM.

jarhead Guest

well...ive never broken a pair....i switch drumsticks every once and a while and im not a very hard hitter...

User Info Menu

im no hard hitter, no drumsticks broken yet.

User Info Menu

I don't break sticks that often.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

I don't hit that hard either unless I'm playing with my uncle

User Info Menu

I don't break them too often. I'll ditch them when they get too whittled down. (Every few months). But over 26 years... that adds up to quite a few sets.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

has anyone heard of the band the chariot

User Info Menu

has anyone had a pair od drumsticks more than 2 years cause i know i haven't

User Info Menu

I use the Ahead Joey Jordison Signature Drumsticks and they are great.I haven't broken them yet.Well I'm not a hard hitter so that may be part of the reason.I'm working on 2years with the Same Pair,But of couse You have to change the Sleeve every 4-8months though.When I used wood sticks I used Vater 7A and they lasted me awhile...

User Info Menu

I've broken several pairs of marching sticks, and a few mallets too. One of my mallets broke during a concert at the end of the song xD
    4-mallets 4eva!!!

User Info Menu

Cool Drum Sticks

If Vic Firth, Ahead, and the other stick makers had to depend on me for replacement sticks, they'd have gone out of business years ago. (And no, it's not because I play more hand percussion than set!)

I'm not a hard-hitting drummer (not the "bash, crash, splash, thrash" type anyway)--in fact my favorite pair of sticks is now close to 20 years old and they only now look a bit chopped-up.

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer dude
    BigTallG,how many drum sticks have you broken because i've broken 3 pairs

How many in my life? I have no idea....wooden sticks, well over a hundred, easily......I broke 4 Ahead sticks too, when I tried those, and I switched back to wood after that.
    Last edited by BigTallG; 01-01-2007 at 05:39 PM.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Has anyone heard of the chariot{it's a band}

User Info Menu

Actually I have heard of Chariot...I think someone on here posted sompthing about them...But I have heard about them before...

User Info Menu

I usually break a pair a practice when I play with the band. Got to compet with those d@mn amps

Keith

User Info Menu

The last gig I played I went through 2 sticks in 2 songs. These weren't 'old' sticks - this was a completely new pair of Vic Firth sticks (''Metal" sticks, longer and heavier than 2B, with a red nylon tip). There was no splintering or gradual wear ... they just snapped along the taper.

I bought 6 pairs of these things about 2 months ago, and I've now got 2 pair left. I'm thinking they must have been from a bad batch. My technique is by no means perfect, but it aint bad. I checked it out with a mate who plays jazz, who said it was okay. Although, I am a bit of a thumper (I play metal and punk).

I've never had this happen so badly before (for ages I was using SD-10 Vic Firth swingers, and they seemed to last a LOT longer). Anyone with a similar experience?

I've bought some Ahead sticks and some carbon fiber sticks to test out and see if they're more economical.

User Info Menu

who makes the carbin fiber stix
    max

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdome
    who makes the carbin fiber stix
    They're called 'carbosticks' - can't remember what company makes them (but it's not a normal stick company, like Vic Firth or Pro Mark or anything). They're from Europe. Although I read somewhere that there's a distributor in the States now.

User Info Menu

Jobby,

I have had that happen to a Vater Drumsticks.I used to play the Vater 7A drumsticks,Well I was at a Show at Tremont Music Hall and I had 4 Pairs when we started the First song.By the last song I had 1 Pair left...They just snapped Along the Taper as well,And I contacted Vater about it and they said it was probably just a Defected batch of sticks.They sent me 12 Pairs of Sticks because of what happend...

PS (THUNDERDOME):Ahead makes Carbon Drums Sticks...Thats what Ahead Drumsticks are.There are diffrent companies besides Ahead that make Carbon sticks but I stick with Ahead.....

User Info Menu

Makes me think I should try to get in touch with Vic Firth about the batch. Good idea.

I'm pretty sure the Ahead sticks have got an aluminium core, not carbon fiber. I'm playing tonight, so looking forward to seeing how they perform.

User Info Menu

Kool man,Tell me what You think....

User Info Menu

Well ... after a couple of hours practice and one gig using Ahead sticks (5B) and carbosticks (carbon fibre 5Bs):

I think that the Ahead sticks are kind of unnatural. I couldn't get used to them. Given the cash I've spent, I'll keep using them in practice and such, but they just don't seem properly weighted to me.

The carbosticks, on the other hand, are a dream. The weight is a little heavier than wooden sticks, but very balanced. They performed magnificently and I got a better cymbal sound on them than I've noticed in a long long time - a really strong ride cymbal ping, but with lots of stick thrown into the mix. I think I'm sold on these puppies.

User Info Menu

i always break stix which really annoys me cause I'm tight on cash and I've tried everything Vic Firth, Vater, Zildjian, buying them in bulk, nylon tips, wood tips, i wanna try Ahead but haven't got around to it.

At first they would break right around the shoulder which i was recently informed was my playing technique, because when playing on the hi-hat i would ride to much on the shoulder which would widdle them down really fast. Now I've switched my technique and the tips are chipping now.

I'm getting frustrated.
    Last edited by amputechture; 01-05-2007 at 02:17 PM.
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn