Thread: I Had A Tuning Lesson....

User Info Menu

Default I Had A Tuning Lesson....

I been having drum lessons (how to improve your playing) of late but this is different.

Any drummers like me that are still learning, I recommend that you do what I did this morning... go & have a lesson in tuning your drums. I learnt more this morning about drum tuning, hardware & general maintenance that I reckon is almost as valuable as playing properly.

I've come home, dismantled my set, spent a few hours mucking about tuning etc, put everything back together & WOW... it sounds so much better. I'm under no illusion that I know all there is to know about tuning but after spending an hour with a professional I've improved things 100%.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I Had A Tuning Lesson....

An excellent post Chris! If we stay humble and never assume that we know all that there is, it's amazing what we'll learn along the way. Congrats on the new tuning skills!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yeah thanks Bob... it probably sounds normal to those of you experienced but it's been a revelation to me

User Info Menu

Congrats! It's always good to get some lessons and advice from proffesionals, and with you it's obviously paid off well! Enjoy your kit!
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Way Cool!

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    An excellent post Chris! If we stay humble and never assume that we know all that there is, it's amazing what we'll learn along the way. Congrats on the new tuning skills!
    Thats the fun of the journey . When we stop learning it will be a sad day. Nuff said And PB tell the big Guy thanks for the gift as he will hear you faster . For the first time in 5 years I am Cancer free

User Info Menu

As many of us in here have suggested, there is a lot to know about properly tuning our drums. For what it's worth, there is an information packed DVD: The Drum Tuning System by Mike Michalkow. It is in depth and does not assume that the viewer is likely to have any previous experience. In other words, he takes us from the absolute beginning of what it is we need knoiw about drums, drum heads, required tools etc. and how to tune according to the music we are to play: Rock to Latin to Jazz. I have used this system with delight and highly recommend it.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Grats on the new found knowledge

Years back I was convinced I needed a new kit since mine had terrible sound. Then I learned to tune, got some new G2's, and it was like having entirely new drums. A little maintenance does wonders