Thread: Bass drum position

User Info Menu

Default Bass drum position

I recently watced a video on how to properly set up a drum set and the guy in the video said the front of the bass should be approx 2-3 inches off the floor. My personal instructor says it should sit flat on the floor. Does it matter? Can any of you helpful drummers advise?

User Info Menu

i found that when i had my bass drum flat on the floor my beater actually hit at an angle and wore away really fast until it was just part plastic and part felt hitting the head. but that might have been a problem with the pedal...
    also some people might say that if the bass drum is on the floor it might resonate less but i don't think it really matters. now i keep mine between 1-2 inches off just because it keeps the beater hitting the head straight on.
    so no i don't think it matters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cc777
    also some people might say that if the bass drum is on the floor it might resonate less but i don't think it really matters.

Oh, it matters. Have a friend hold on to one of your toms, physically, with both hands on the shell, then hit it and see what it sounds like.....same thing for kick drums and floors.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

okay it does matter, but to answer the question, it depends on the sound you're going for.for me i like more of a thump and since i muffle the kick anyway, resting it on the ground is fine. if you're going for a more boomy sound then it makes sense to keep it off the ground so it resonates more, as BigTallG said.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, how do u give it more of a thump sound? Does putting a pillow inside help?

User Info Menu

A pillow inside dampens the Sound like the Moon gel's do...My Bass drum isn't flat but Almost flat on the floor.And Idk how to Adjust it to be Higher up...

User Info Menu

With my bass drums, I have the front side( pedal not attached to ) about 1/2 to 3/4 an inch off the ground using the front legs and the rear side( pedal attached ) as close to the ground as the pedal will allow.

As far as a good thump, I dampen the front head heavily and have the rear head undampened. Has a nice thump, but the drums still produce a good load sound. For dampening I use a section of 1" thick foam cut about 1/2" large in diameter than the head. The foam fits into the inside of the head nice and firm and make full surface contact. If the foam is cut larger in diameter, then it starts to distort and will not make contact all over.

Keith

User Info Menu

i play mine about 2" off the floor bucuz my 1st istrutional video (dave weckl back to basics) told me to. wow that was a long time ago. i tune it loose on batter side (just above a wrinkle) and med. tension on the reso, no port and no muffling.

User Info Menu

The type of beaters you use on your pedals make quite a bit of difference too. Felt beaters will give you more of a thump sound while plastic or wood beaters will be more of a thud sound.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads