Thread: Snare tuning help...?

User Info Menu

Default Snare tuning help...?

I need help on how I should tune my snare drum top and bottom head. I just bought an Evan's Genera Dry batter head and I'm trying to get my snare to sound relatively close to the snare in this song:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQfwpC82gZY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQfwpC82gZY[/ame]

I had it pretty close with my old head, but the problem is I don't remember how I tuned it. Your advice would be immensely appreciated.

-Yohin
    Matt

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare tuning help...?

Sounds like medium tuning on the top head(not too tight) w/ the bottom head tuned lower than the top. Strainer sounds a little loose. Even with these guidlines there is more to it than the tuning to get that sound. They were in a studio messing w/mic placement and running that signal through compressors, eq's, even filters(fx). Oh, and the drum has to be similar, as well as the head. You can get in the ballpark, but you won't have "that" sound.
    1971 Ludwig 3-ply Maple 7-piece shell set in Oyster Black Pearl w Supraphonic Snare
    1968 Mica-Sonic Deluxe 9-ply Luan Mahogony 4 piece jazz set in Aqua Satin Flame
    2004 Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 7-ply Phillipene Mahogony 4 piece in Nitron Marine Pearl
    Lot's of old Zildjian A's, some K's, a few Sabiens, and a few Paiste

User Info Menu

agreed ^

just kinda sounds like the snares are loose and the top head is not super tight

User Info Menu

I can gurantee you the snare sound on that song is completely different to what you would hear if you were standing there while it being recorded. It has had EQ (Equalization), compression, filters, effects, delay, echo even pitch changes sometimes added to it by the sound engineers. But if I was trying to copy it I agree with the tips above
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    I can gurantee you the snare sound on that song is completely different to what you would hear if you were standing there while it being recorded. It has had EQ (Equalization), compression, filters, effects, delay, echo even pitch changes sometimes added to it by the sound engineers. But if I was trying to copy it I agree with the tips above
    Agreed, don't let studio sounds fool you.