Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1st attempt

User Info Menu

Default My 1st attempt

Ok so here goes my first video. I played to Sweet Home Alabama cause it's simple. It's not lick for lick but it's more my version. And I made it with windows movie maker so I couldn't synch it just right. BTW I hate the sound of this kit. It belongs to the church I just have it at home while mine is there and the audio sux cause It's with a digital photo camera. Enough excuses, here it goes
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Default Re: My 1st attempt

Hey Hey You posted and you should keep doing so. You looked like you were having fun, a little tense but timing was pretty much there.

Ok I noticed the computer, how are you recording? I need to step into the 22nd century If you could have turned up the track a bit you would have overlayed nicely.

User Info Menu

I recorded using my fuji 8 mega pixel camera. I used my computer for the music cause I didn't want to get my mp3 player out of the car lol. I've only been playing just under a year so I'm not great but I can keep a basic beat and get some fills. I'm gonna see if I can get someone to tape worship at church tomorrow and you guys can see how I do with a band.

I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Cool, but ow do you get the song to play with the drums, what software are you using?

I just posted a new vid as well, not as good as yours.

User Info Menu

i used windows movie maker and just put the vid on there then added the song and then I had to get the song and vid to start at the right spots. Its not a great program thats why its a little out of time and then my timing was apearantly off and it just happened to line up.

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Ok cool now I know I can do the same.

User Info Menu

Yeah it takes a little getting used to with the synching but I should be able to get it with a little more practice with the windows movie maker. BTW this was only the 3rd time I tried to play this song.

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Awesome job all around. I just posted another, did it on a whim.

User Info Menu

Not too bad for less than a years time. Just try to keep relaxed and have fun . Thanks for sharing that .

User Info Menu

Pretty solid groove TD! Good stuff!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Nice video
    You look pretty loose and relaxed which is good since newer players tend to get tensed up a lot. Someone may have said this already, but I would say to practice with a metronome just to get solid at keeping time. Keep it up

User Info Menu

You're off to a strong start. Keep it up and your drums will always be your best friends!
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Good job on the cross sticking of the verses. A lot of drummers don't have a clue...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Very good job TD!! I thought you handled that song fairly well. It only gets better from there!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. Like I said It was only the 3rd time I tried to play along with that song and although my timing was off a bit it was made worse by the fact that I couldn't get the music to synch with the vid.

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

It's so hard to try and play along with a song where the drum track is already laid down. Especially if your not playing it the same as the original

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    It's so hard to try and play along with a song where the drum track is already laid down. Especially if your not playing it the same as the original

Right on man, i know what you mean.

sweet job posting a vid though!

User Info Menu

Thanks man. Hopefully I'll get another one on my good kit soon

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Top dog...Not a bad effort at all! Now, my reactions...the Hi-Hat is to much and got in the way of everything else. You might have to sit higher but, try using more of the tips of your sticks on the closed hats as opposed to just using the shanks. This will give you a more defined pattern and will also be dynamically softer where it needs to be. Secondly, for the size of the bass drum, I was surprised that I had to focus my attention on it. I couldn't hear the "Kick" as I expected to. You did mention that you were not using your own kit. I suspect that you didn't want to mess with the tuning on a kit that isn't yours. For the time that you have been playing. Keep up the good work.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks Frank. That kit belongs to my church and it's at my house right now cause mine is at the church. I can pretty much do what I want to this kit. The bass is actually really loud, but sounds horrible. It definately needs to be tuned and maybe even a new head. IDK what happened with the hh. I know what you mean about using the tip of the stick though. I just raised the hats up actually. I think I should lower them a bit. I also recorded this with a digital camera, not the movie type so that could account for some of the sound. I'm gonna keep at it though.

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Man I look like a total 'tard when I play. I just feel the music and I can't help it. I guess thats my "Drummer Face" lol

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Not too bad for less than a years time. Just try to keep relaxed and have fun . Thanks for sharing that .
    I second that. But you did very good man, keep'em coming.
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

TD, that's really not bad for being in your rookie year. You held the groove pretty well.

I'm not being sarcastic, but I only ask because you are new to drumming... do you know how to tune drums?

If not, check out the videos on the Evans drum head website by Bob Gazden at the link below. They're very straight forward.

http://www.tothestage.com/MediaDetail.Page?MediaId=178
    Last edited by CycleDude; 03-24-2009 at 01:50 PM.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Check this drum tuning video out also.....

https://www.yamaha.com/thehub/home.h...7&CTID=5042001
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

thanks cd. I dont know how to tune. these were tuned by someone else but i don't like the sound at all. i'll check them out.

Zildjian League