Thread: Conga: How it's made

User Info Menu

Default Conga: How it's made

Cool vid but I had no idea there was so much labor , I thought they would have had some robotic machine cutting and milling. No wonder their being made overseas.
    L4C

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7lF7RQGUpM&feature=related"]YouTube - How It's Made (Season 4 / Episode 04 / Part 1)[/ame]

User Info Menu

Default Re: Conga: How it's made

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Cool vid but I had no idea there was so much labor , I thought they would have had some robotic machine cutting and milling. No wonder their being made overseas.
    L4C

YouTube - How It's Made (Season 4 / Episode 04 / Part 1)
    cool, thanks for sharing that. I wonder how they make the 2 and 3 ply drums that are so common.

User Info Menu

I don't often venture into the 'Percussion' section. Neat stuff

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Conga: How it's made

L4C, thanks for sharin' that info...you definitely have a "love for congas" that goes beyond anything I've seen yet!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=luv4congas;183217]Cool vid but I had no idea there was so much labor , I thought they would have had some robotic machine cutting and milling. No wonder their being made overseas.
    L4C

Hence the several month wait for handmade congas from guys like Jay Berek and Matthew Smith.

User Info Menu

Man, that's wild! A lot more went into that than I would have thought too. Great vid!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

You know - I contacted "how it's made" a number of years ago and asked them if they could do a show on how conga drums are made. I didn't follow-up to see if it got aired. I wonder if this is re: my request?

Thanks a bunch for sharing this !
    Gary