Thread: Mapex VX

User Info Menu

Default Mapex VX

A while back I picked up a Mapex VX in polished black, then got another kit to add a second bass drum... then another "special component config" to make a full kit to leave at a friend's house. I still haven't had a ton of seat time behind them, but I've been nothing short of impressed with them. I had originally set out to get a QR (essentially the same) but got upgraded when they realized they were out of stock on the kit I ordered (which is why I had to get the second bass on my own).

My configs:
    main: 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 20x18, 20x18, 14x5.5
    friend's studio: 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 22x18, 14x5.5
    practice kit: 10x9, 14x14 (bass), 14x5.5

Hardware:
    Everything on the drums is the same as the M Birch and QR series. Good looking, solid, dependable, top quality stuff. The 300 series hardware on the VX and lower is really only lacking in the adjustability department. It's still solid though. I didn't plan on using the bass pedals, but I put one together for the heck of it and I was actually impressed. The beater is terrible, and I don't know how it'll hold up to tons and tons of abuse, but at that point you'd probably be gigging a lot and have bought a pedal that's more personal to your playing needs anyways. I've played on kits with shoddy hardware (both new and after it all fell apart) and none of this Mapex hardware has me worried about future mishaps.

Drums:
    Shells are lacquer basswood... 9-ply 7.2mm I believe. Edges are sharp and make contact with the heads very nicely. I slapped Ebony Ambassadors on all the tom resos. The 8-piece got clear Pinstripe batters on the toms, the 6-piece got clear Emperors (I like the Emperors more). The 8-piece got SK1 batter heads and still have the stock front heads (don't need to mic yet so I didn't want to kill the wallet on front heads yet). The 22" bass has the Remo PS3 pack that comes on their higher end kits, with the hole cut. I've got Aquarian snare heads on the practice kit snare (classic clear, studio-x) and I kinda like that sound. The 6-piece came with the stock snare side, random coated Aquarian batter and a 40 snare strand... which actually sounded good when I got it so I left it alone. The last snare I put Remo heads on with a coated EmperorX on the batter side, and then I felt the need to put the Trick throw off on it (I had bought for another project and didn't use it).

All of the drums sound great. I was pleasantly surprised. I can get them to tune as low as I want them. I may just port the stock resos on the 20" kicks instead of buying Regulators. I can just sit down, play and have fun with these kits because they sound good and feel solid. I haven't gotten to gig with them yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

I've never done a review before so any other tips, let me know. Hopefully I'll get more seat time in soon, and possibly some sound clips.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex VX

Nice review...
    I suspected they'd be....well..they are MAPEX!

-Les

User Info Menu

Hey Mike,

Nice review. One thing that you didn't mention that I think is substantial - you have a LOT of drums there for the money! Buying the VX drums saved you a ton....enough that you could afford the extra drums you wanted.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I have the QR and its a nice kit i have to admit...for the money anyway!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/36217405@N04/3344601259/
    Mapex QR
    Zildjian Quick Beats 13" Hi-Hats
    Sabian B8 20" Ride
    Sabian B8 16" Thin crash
    Sabian AAX 10" Splash
    Paiste Alpha 16" Thin crash

User Info Menu

Nice review QS! And I agree with Norske, you got a great deal for as many drums as you have! Continue to enjoy my friend!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

I really did get a lot for what I paid... if I can find all the old numbers I'll have to add it up and edit this post...
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Nice review
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^